Proposal: Should the Sabres be in on Gusev ?

Should we try for Gusev

• Total voters

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
What? Once before? Check out his statistics, especially in KHL fewer games than in NHL.

Of course I like Gusev because he is a great player and unlike you I have not missed one of his games and I know what kind of player he is.

Sorry I thought I clicked on the Johansson thread

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What? Once before? Check out his statistics, especially in KHL fewer games than in NHL.

Of course I like Gusev because he is a great player and unlike you I have not missed one of his games and I know what kind of player he is.
Cool snark. I like him too and would love to roll the dice on him. But clearly his “minimum” is a lot closer to “fails to do much of anything in the NHL and flees back to the KHL when he’s scratched/put with bad linemates/sent to the AHL” than it is to 50 points.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Cool snark. I like him too and would love to roll the dice on him. But clearly his “minimum” is a lot closer to “fails to do much of anything in the NHL and flees back to the KHL when he’s scratched/put with bad linemates/sent to the AHL” than it is to 50 points.
So let's see next season who will be right.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Shipachyov only played three games for Vegas before going back to Russia less than two years ago. It's far from impossible that Gusev could have a similar experience.

That said, when you look at recent players than produced at a similar level to Gusev in the KHL then came over to the NHL, namely Radulov and Dadonov, there's every reason to expect Gusev to be a very productive player if he should stick. Granted, Radulov and Dadonov had both had previous NHL experience.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Nylander has 6 years of team control vs Gusev
Nylander is 5 yrs younger.

Your valuing of nylander is biased. He was a top 10 pick who enters his 2ELC and you lower is value like that ; facepalm:

Historically you don’t see much of non top 5 picks till 2nd ELC year.

Many feel you start the downside of your career at 26.

What?

So you are saying that guys like Huberdeau, Rackell, Trocheck, Gibson, Landeskog, Scheifele, Klefbom, Brodin, Hamilton, Zibanejad, etc are already on the downside of their career??

:facepalm:

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I’m not sure you quite grasp what “minimum” means.
Well, I think the word "minimum" is quite understandable. This means that I think he will accurately score 50 points, but I expect that he will score more than that. Although of course it depends on whether he will play in top 6 in new team.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Average speed. Quick feet and hands. Good on his edges. Good acceleration. Average shot. Superior hockey IQ.

Football Comparable: Devin Singletary :laugh:

Russian. Insanely puck dominant. Will try any move, even if he's surrounded.

Change the 97 to 61, and we had this player a decade ago :)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Well, I think the word "minimum" is quite understandable. This means that I think he will accurately score 50 points, but I expect that he will score more than that. Although of course it depends on whether he will play in top 6 in new team.
Aye there’s the rub. To me, and I think most, to say his “minimum” means “absolute worst can scenario, floor,” not “I think he will get at least this,” which is what I believe you’re saying. As I said, I think he succeeds to and would love to roll the dice. But there’s a whole lot of possible bad outcomes.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Aye there’s the rub. To me, and I think most, to say his “minimum” means “absolute worst can scenario, floor,” not “I think he will get at least this,” which is what I believe you’re saying. As I said, I think he succeeds to and would love to roll the dice. But there’s a whole lot of possible bad outcomes.
No, of course, if he gets injured or coach puts him in third link with players like Sobotka, then nothing good will come of it, although he fed Yakupov with pucks last season. I just don’t see why Nikita should fail in NHL, if he plays top 6 and with normal partners, he has everything to play in NHL, hands, IQ, skating, not bad speed, most of our players just don’t have it.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
No, of course, if he gets injured or coach puts him in third link with players like Sobotka, then nothing good will come of it, although he fed Yakupov with pucks last season. I just don’t see why Nikita should fail in NHL, if he plays top 6 and with normal partners, he has everything to play in NHL, hands, IQ, skating, not bad speed, most of our players just don’t have it.
Sobotka-Gusev-Wilson profit.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Does Gusev speak english? It would greatly ease his transition into the NHL wherever he ends up.

Seems like a nice gamble to take depending on cost. Still would prefer somebody proven to play 2/3C if we're moving out more assets.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Does Gusev speak english? It would greatly ease his transition into the NHL wherever he ends up.

Seems like a nice gamble to take depending on cost. Still would prefer somebody proven to play 2/3C if we're moving out more assets.
Unless he's a hyperpolyglot he doesn't speak English. I think Sobotka is the only Sabre that speaks Russian. I'd rather give Glotov a roster spot. :laugh:
I'd make him Olga Khmylev's assignment.
STAFF | Harborcenter | Harborcenter.com

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
No only 50% retention is possible.

:(

Man it would be fun if you could do 100%. Ottawa and Arizona would be real dumping grounds of expensive players no one wants.

Imagine if teams could pay 100% of Lucic's, Okposo's, etc. salaries and ship them off to Ottawa?

The rich teams get guys off their caps even if they have to pay their salaries, and Ottawa gets to the floor with a bunch of bums that doesn't cost the owner a cent.

Probably because cheap poor teams would do this is why they wouldn't.

Down Goes Brown put this team together in January. Ugh. How many games would this team win?

full

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
:(

Man it would be fun if you could do 100%. Ottawa and Arizona would be real dumping grounds of expensive players no one wants.

Imagine if teams could pay 100% of Lucic's, Okposo's, etc. salaries and ship them off to Ottawa?

The rich teams get guys off their caps even if they have to pay their salaries, and Ottawa gets to the floor with a bunch of bums that doesn't cost the owner a cent.

Probably because cheap poor teams would do this is why they wouldn't.

Down Goes Brown put this team together in January. Ugh. How many games would this team win?

full
I would love Comeau.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad