Should the Pens have kept Jordan Staal?

Michael8771*

I got to say that Sutter's offensive production has been somewhat underwhelming. He's solid but largely unremarkable. Pouliot will make or break that trade. I think he'll turn out well however.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I got to say that Sutter's offensive production has been somewhat underwhelming. He's solid but largely unremarkable. Pouliot will make or break that trade. I think he'll turn out well however.

1) Sutter's offensive production may be underwhelming, but the same could be said of Staal. Hey, you can put me into that camp of "if a butterfly in Ecuador flapped its wings and we drafted Toews instead of Staal, would we still have won that cup?" and that jazz, but Staal was a player who, most of the time, also kept me wanting more. Some people in the hockey world (perhaps Carolina?) thought maybe Staal was on the verge of breaking out. But the reality was he was inconsistent, at least offensively. Couple that with him not wanting to play for this team and the group of the guys who he won a cup with, and a core that could compete for the next decade, and I'm happy to see him gone.

I don't think people realize just how bent over a barrel we were with the Staal situation. We had no bidding war, almost no leverage for that trade. And yet we managed to get 3 significant assets out of that deal. I don't even understand who anyone could seriously ask this question that the OP asked or how this thread hasn't even been locked yet. The decision to move Staal immediately, especially when the only GREAT offer we could have received for him was on the table was an absolute no-brainer. That's why Shero called Rutherford into his office and forced the issue to get a deal done right there and then.

Like I said: you can question who we chose at #8 and it remains to be seen just how good that selection turns out to be in relation to others we could have taken. Perhaps Pouliot even gets moved for a top forward. Who knows? The point is, that part of the equation is too early to quantify yet. But Brandon Sutter is a solid, no-maintenance two-way player who may not be an offensive dynamo, but should be good for about 20 goals/year. It's also important to note that since he's been here, he hasn't been surrounded by the type of quality and steady linemates that Staal had with Cooke & TK. Additionally, it's worth noting that Sutter is still extremely young and he has not peaked yet. I greatly look forward to the time when he is continuously flanked by 2 quality linemates with whom he can develop chemistry and actually have some skill.

2) You are undervaluing Brian Dumoulin. Again, it's too early to see just how good he will be, but his upside is significant. He may be a big player for this team for many years. He may also be trade bait and bring in a really good forward. But don't underestimate the value and upside this player/asset has to our organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad