Should the Pens have kept Jordan Staal?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
It's been about 2 years since Staal left the Pens and joined up with the Canes.

So what say you? Do you think the Pens should have kept Jordan Staal or were they right to trade him to the Canes?

My opinion about Staal was always controversial and well known, so I think you can guess where I stand on this matter..

My take: Trading him was a slam dunk all the way. You can't overpay for "intangibles" and committing $60M to a third line center would be asinine given the cap situation. Don't get me wrong. Staal was a great player, but he certainly isn't elite enough to command those types of dollars and term.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Cassius starting this thread makes life perfect. I love it. The biggest Staal hater in the world.

I will say this, I am shocked with how lethargic he's been since going to Carolina. He's basically cashed in and stopped caring.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
They shouldn't have kept jordan staal because jordan staal didn't want to be kept.

Where's that option in the poll?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Cassius starting this thread makes life perfect. I love it. The biggest Staal hater in the world.

I will say this, I am shocked with how lethargic he's been since going to Carolina. He's basically cashed in and stopped caring.
Never was a Staal hater, just a person who ALWAYS strongly believed he would be a 50 point guy throughout his career and nothing more. If you commit $60M towards a position as replaceable as the third line center role, it's a VERY questionable move.

So far, I would say my talent assessment was right on the mark. I can see why you were salty though, considering you always thought he had 80+ point potential and was 1st line center material on any team other than the Penguins.

This season he is on pace for 41 points. So yeah..

Lets not hate because someone was on the right side of the talent evaluation..

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They shouldn't have kept jordan staal because jordan staal didn't want to be kept.

Where's that option in the poll?

also this. if we had kept Jordan Staal, we still wouldn't have Jordan Staal this year. He chose not to sign a contract with us. So this entire thread boils down to speculation about how last season would have been different with Staal around.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
i wouldn't mind Staal back in Pittsburgh.

i WOULD mind Staal back in Pittsburgh if he were to be paid anywhere near what he makes with the Hurricanes.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Never was a Staal hater, just a person who ALWAYS strongly believed he would be a 50 point guy throughout his career and nothing more. If you commit $60M towards a position as replaceable as the third line center role, it's a VERY questionable move.

So far, I would say my talent assessment was right on the mark. I can see why you were salty though, considering you always thought he had 80+ point potential and was 1st line center material on any team other than the Penguins.

This season he is on pace for 41 points. So yeah..

Lets not hate because someone was on the right side of the talent evaluation..

:laugh: We never debated was he worth that much money, my friend. Staal in the 2009 playoffs was just such the right player to have on the Pens. They needed him. I put it on Jordan himself for his lethargic efforts since. He basically took that deal and ran to an "I don't care" NHL career.

But do not deny his talents and worth in the postseason runs.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
shero needs to be bashed more for offering staal that same ludicrous contract that he ended up signing.

the staal situation proved that shero is willing to significantly overpay to "keep the family together." i think he did the exact same thing with the letang contract. only difference is letang unfortunately doesnt have a brother that he wants to play with.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
shero needs to be bashed more for offering staal that same ludicrous contract that he ended up signing.

the staal situation proved that shero is willing to significantly overpay to "keep the family together." i think he did the exact same thing with the letang contract. only difference is letang unfortunately doesnt have a brother that he wants to play with.

Also, Letang is much better at hockey than Jordan Staal.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011

This more than anything.

Team didn't really need a 40-point 3C for 10 years/6 mil per. In around 90 games in an increased role with Carolina, he has 50 points. He's basically the same player as he was a Pen but now a 2C.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Fair enough.

Letang is closer to being worth 7.25M than Staal is to being worth 6M. How's that?

maybe, but staal at least stays healthy and brings it when the games really matter. letang is consistently injured and has annually disappointed in the playoffs since becoming this teams number one d-man.

the main point though is that the staal offer is proof positive that shero is willing to significantly overpay to keep good-but-not-great players in the organization.

Michael8771*

Based on both their contributions and shortcomings Staal is probably a 4.5 m dollar a year player Letang 5.5 to 6 m.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think a lot of you are using 20 games to rate Letang as a player. He was much better last season than he has been this season, including last playoffs. Letang has had no more playoff trouble than anyone else on our team since becoming our number 1 d-man.

Michael8771*

I think a lot of you are using 20 games to rate Letang as a player. He was much better last season than he has been this season, including last playoffs. Letang has had no more playoff trouble than anyone else on our team since becoming our number 1 d-man.
I'd rather have Martin. I don't think Letang is a bad player but I do think he's overrated. His constant injuries don't help either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad