Should the Panthers take a look at Gomez?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Don't understand this hatred of Gomez. He's not a goal scorer. Agreed, never has been throughout his career except for one season. Almost every season he has been a player whose goal totals have been in the low teens. What he has consistently done is rack up assists. He's a playmaker that feeds the puck to goal scorers. The Rangers grossly overpaid him for what he does but that's their sin, not his. Now whatever team that signs him can get him dirt cheap and he will then be considered a bargain. As far as him taking the spot of a young player I say who? Shore isn't ready and the other young centers in the system haven't even turned Pro yet. This Organization prides itself in not repeating the mistakes of the past by rushing players and that is what it would be doing by having Shore make the Panthers this year. Gomez would be a stopgap and a bridge to the youngsters which is what Kovalev is, what Svatos is and what practically every free agent that Tallon has signed the last two years are.

There are players when they're in the lineup can make a team worse. Gomez is one of them. We need help down the middle but there is no need to try to find that with him.

CoolburnIsGone

I dont really see a big need to even look at him. Yes we need help at center but I think there are better options than him. Goc will slot in on the 2nd line when he returns from injury. I'd rather a bigger forward to play on the 3rd & 4th line who can chip in a bit offensively and if need be, move up a line (kinda like Goc). I can list a few guys who are currently free agents that I'd be looking at before Gomez:

Jason Arnott
Dominic Moore
Brian Rolston

Then there is always the trade route and there are teams who would be willing to move a player due to salary and/or injury concerns. Guys like Lombardi & Connolly would probably be available from the Leafs for cheap. They are both UFAs at yr end which would work out well for us too.

Everyone just has to remember we are already at the 50 contract limit before we can even sign Kovalev. So to add ANOTHER player would mean we have to move 2 contracts without gaining any which may be difficult (1 could be possible but 2 is not as simple).

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I dont really see a big need to even look at him. Yes we need help at center but I think there are better options than him. Goc will slot in on the 2nd line when he returns from injury. I'd rather a bigger forward to play on the 3rd & 4th line who can chip in a bit offensively and if need be, move up a line (kinda like Goc). I can list a few guys who are currently free agents that I'd be looking at before Gomez:

Jason Arnott
Dominic Moore
Brian Rolston

Then there is always the trade route and there are teams who would be willing to move a player due to salary and/or injury concerns. Guys like Lombardi & Connolly would probably be available from the Leafs for cheap. They are both UFAs at yr end which would work out well for us too.

Everyone just has to remember we are already at the 50 contract limit before we can even sign Kovalev. So to add ANOTHER player would mean we have to move 2 contracts without gaining any which may be difficult (1 could be possible but 2 is not as simple).

I hear arnott has been skating with stars like kovalev for us.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Jason Arnott
Dominic Moore
Brian Rolston
Moore's wife just died a few weeks ago (cancer), I don't think he's going to play this season..

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
Don't want to start a new thread on this so just replace the name Gomez with Connally on the topic title.:laugh:

Tim Connally put on waivers today by the Leafs. Pro-rated $4 mil contract that expires at end of season. Fragile as a piece of glass but productive when healthy. Thoughts?

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Don't want to start a new thread on this so just replace the name Gomez with Connally on the topic title.:laugh:

Tim Connally put on waivers today by the Leafs. Pro-rated $4 mil contract that expires at end of season. Fragile as a piece of glass but productive when healthy. Thoughts?

Very very skilled player. Tallon should be giving him a hell of a look.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL

Thought the same thing, Leafs were definitely not the team for him, he's skilled, not the hardest body on the ice, but still has juice left. Would like him a lot more than Gomez.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00