Should the Panthers take a look at Gomez?

Erick*

It seems like Kovalev might have a legitimate shot to make the team so yeah, sure, why not? :help:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'd say absolutely hell no to Gomez and Redden. I wouldn't even offer either one of them tryouts.

I know we're thin on D at the moment with the Kulikov situation and Guds being out for a couple of weeks, but I would rather see one of our prospects fill in for the time being than Redden. I know each game is extremely important, but once Guds comes back and hopefully Kulikov does too, wouldn't we be absolutely logjammed then?

Same goes for Gomez as I'd rather see who does the best in camp now to make the team. The way I see it, if their respective teams didn't invite them to camp, why should we?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We have seen plenty of players rejuvenate their career in SFL. Don't see why we can't give Gomez a chance at the vet min

If you don't count last season that couldn't be further from the truth. Just remember all the retirement plans this team has given. Rejuvenate that come to mind. Fleishmann and ? You could make a case with Ray Whitney as we picked him up from waivers. Then there are retrirment Esa Tikkanen, Dave Gagner, Kirk Muller to name a few

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
If you don't count last season that couldn't be further from the truth. Just remember all the retirement plans this team has given. Rejuvenate that come to mind. Fleishmann and ? You could make a case with Ray Whitney as we picked him up from waivers. Then there are retrirment Esa Tikkanen, Dave Gagner, Kirk Muller to name a few

Jordan Leopold, Dennis Seidenberg, Craig Anderson (to a certain extent, may or may not fit as well as others)

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
You guys have watched any hockey over the last 3 years ?

Really, you must be kidding if you're really having interest in signing Gomez.

Scott Gomez is washed up ! He was (arguably) the worst player in the entire League for the last 2 years...

He was still cracking jokes at practice when the Canadiens went through their horrible season last year. I know you have to stay loose and calm under pressure when you're losing. But smiling and joking while your team is experiencing hell isn't right !

Gomez is horrible. Horrible. Horrible. HORRIBLE.

Don't give any ideas to Santos or Tallon by stating we could take a look at Gomez. Never ! Please.

Kovalev even at 40 and without playing in the NHL the last two years is still 100x times the player Scott Gomez is.

HORRIBLE.

:shakehead

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
Yeah, we already have one of these, Matthais.

Except for his one 30 goal season, Gomez has always been a set-up C, not a goal scorer. I would think that's exactly the type of Center you would want to pair with Hubs. For one short year might be fun to watch a line of Hub-Gomez-Kovalev. Let the kid learn the NHL with two old warhorses until our prospects arrive next year.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Those guys weren't bad players before coming here.

And they were all under 30. Gomez is 33 and has been crap for the last two years !

Geez guys ! Wake up please !

Craig Anderson was pretty much a nothing -- depth guy in Chicago. Jordan Leopold was most certainly considered a huge question mark after struggling in Calgary and in Colorado. Dennis Seidenberg didn't really become the awesome shut down guy he did until really hitting his stride here after he was in Carolina. I certainly do believe these players could be classified as rejuvenation projects.

Cosmonaut

Mar 7, 2010
Florida
Gomez's scoring touch has falled off a cliff, but I still believe he's an NHL caliber player. Like somebody said before me, he's a playmaker first. However, his overall game isn't bad. He's okay defensively and still a great skater. For a team with our center depth adding Gomez might be a positive as long as we're not signing him for 7M. A cheap 1 year deal could be good for the team.

Last edited:

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Except for his one 30 goal season, Gomez has always been a set-up C, not a goal scorer. I would think that's exactly the type of Center you would want to pair with Hubs. For one short year might be fun to watch a line of Hub-Gomez-Kovalev. Let the kid learn the NHL with two old warhorses until our prospects arrive next year.

Agreed :nod:

johano90

Nov 27, 2006
South Florida
Honestly, the only reason we would allow Gomez to make the team is to make the rest of the players feel better about their own ability.

johano90

Nov 27, 2006
South Florida
You guys have watched any hockey over the last 3 years ?

Really, you must be kidding if you're really having interest in signing Gomez.

Scott Gomez is washed up ! He was (arguably) the worst player in the entire League for the last 2 years...

He was still cracking jokes at practice when the Canadiens went through their horrible season last year. I know you have to stay loose and calm under pressure when you're losing. But smiling and joking while your team is experiencing hell isn't right !

Gomez is horrible. Horrible. Horrible. HORRIBLE.

Don't give any ideas to Santos or Tallon by stating we could take a look at Gomez. Never ! Please.

Kovalev even at 40 and without playing in the NHL the last two years is still 100x times the player Scott Gomez is.

HORRIBLE.

:shakehead

I'm sorry to inform you that those were not jokes. It was Scott Gomez attempting to score a goal.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Sent down to get his game back after an injury. It happens quite often.

Of course it does, I'm very well aware, however it wouldn't be the first I've seen someone suggest he should stay for a bit.

No, it's an awful idea. How bad were the Habs last season? He was told not to report for cryin. Thankfully Tallon is wise enough not to do this.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
The right thing to do here would be to close the thread before Tallon comes on here after a few cocktails and thinks this is a good idea. :sarcasm:

Georgia Panther

Aug 2, 2005
BufordGA/FranklinNC
Gomez is absolutely horrible. Santorelli is better.

Don't understand this hatred of Gomez. He's not a goal scorer. Agreed, never has been throughout his career except for one season. Almost every season he has been a player whose goal totals have been in the low teens. What he has consistently done is rack up assists. He's a playmaker that feeds the puck to goal scorers. The Rangers grossly overpaid him for what he does but that's their sin, not his. Now whatever team that signs him can get him dirt cheap and he will then be considered a bargain. As far as him taking the spot of a young player I say who? Shore isn't ready and the other young centers in the system haven't even turned Pro yet. This Organization prides itself in not repeating the mistakes of the past by rushing players and that is what it would be doing by having Shore make the Panthers this year. Gomez would be a stopgap and a bridge to the youngsters which is what Kovalev is, what Svatos is and what practically every free agent that Tallon has signed the last two years are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad