Should the Oilers tank for McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Yes, I know this will be a controversial question. And I know already the different POV that are out there. There's the "losing breeds losing, we have to start to win now" crowd, there's the "let what may happen happen" crowd, and there's the "zOMG McDavid!!!" crowd. Plus everybody in between.

Just wanted to gauge the opinion in terms of strict numbers.

Yes or No.

Personally, I'm a little torn. The McDavid hype is real, the kid is the real deal. Best prospect since Crosby. He has the potential to be a franchise-changer, moreso than any of our other 1st overall picks. He'll be a better player than Hall at a more important position. He might actually end up better than Crosby if he can stay healthy.

OTOH, yes, I believe losing breeds losing.

Damn it, I wish McDavid was born earlier.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
3BZOxby.gif

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
C depth 1st year with McDavid:

RNH
McDavid
Draisaitl
Gordon

The answer is no and yes. No, as of where we are right now. If by Christmas we're in 28th-30th place, then yes.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Legit question though, don't get the hate.

I can understand the argument from both sides.

Leaning towards no myself though.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Did oilersfan11 put you up to this?

This is a public poll. Any Oiler fan who votes yes will be targeted by me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
C depth 1st year with McDavid:

RNH
McDavid
Draisaitl
Gordon

The answer is no and yes. No, as of where we are right now. If by Christmas we're in 28th-30th place, then yes.

This is the "let what happens happens" POV, and I'm inclined to support this line of thinking. Still would rather the Oilers win though.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
This is the "let what happens happens" POV, and I'm inclined to support this line of thinking. Still would rather the Oilers win though.

I'd rather the Oilers win, but if we're thinking rationally, in our conference and especially our division, we have no shot at making a push.

I don't know, I shouldn't have said yes. I don't believe in forcing our players to lose, whether through trades and leaving the team bare or coaching, which is a condition of "tanking." I'll never agree with that.

However, I'm okay with losing from Christmas on if it means we acquire the type of help we'd get from McDavid.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
Legit question though, don't get the hate.

I can understand the argument from both sides.

Leaning towards no myself though.

It's a legit question if you've accepted losing. Pretty embarrassing thread to have on our board if you ask me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Did oilersfan11 put you up to this?

No, it's a legit question.

This kid is a prospect on the level of Crosby and Lemieux. Has generational talent. Could make you a cup contender by himself.

OTOH, if you keep losing, the team may never win.

Just wanted to see what the general opinion was.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It's a legit question if you've accepted losing. Pretty embarrassing thread to have on our board if you ask me.

It's not about accepting losing.

It's about assessing a few things:

- current roster makeup
- chances of competing with current roster with upgrades
- chances of competing with current roster + McDavid
- impact of continued losing on current roster

It's about what one would consider reasonable and realistic in that assessment, and I suspect not everyone will come out with the same answer in that assessment.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
New rules make it even more difficult to get the number one pick even if you purposely tank. So...what's the point?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
A better question might be would it be worth it to tank to get rid of the OBC? McDavid would just be a bonus.

Either way I said this team would be competing for McDavid and that view hasn't changed.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Absolutely not, for so many reasons (in order of importance).

1. We need these young guys to experience a winning atmosphere. Young guys need confidence, and it comes in different forms. One thing that can effect a team's confidence is the approach management takes. Look at our cup run, we were on the outside looking in when Lowe traded for Roli, Samsonov, etc. He traded futures for proven players because he believed in that group. A GM that believes his group can win will get the players believing it as well. Adversely, I look at the Blue Jays crumbling this year after Anthopolous sat on his hands at the deadline. Different sport, different personalities, but the managerial message is the same.

2. There are much worse teams on paper out there. We aren't going to out tank BUF/CAR/FLA. To be honest, I still think we are a much better team than Calgary and feel they will eventually find themselves bottom 5. Even if we wanted to suck that bad, there are a few teams we'd never catch.

3. The adjustment for the lottery odds make it a bit less likely to nab McDavid if you do finish last. I don't see us as a playoff team anyway, why not try and if (when) we eventually fail, be content that its a deep draft should our pick remain in the 9-14 range, and be ecstatic if our >5% chance strikes gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad