Should the Oilers tank for McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's really unfortunate we got 1st overall is 3 weaker drafts.

But we really need to start winning now.

Hall was not a weak 1st overall pick. He's a top 10 scorer in the league ffs. If he played in a bigger market that the media favored instead of one they rag on or if he was picked 2nd by Boston that year there'd be talk that he's a top 5 player in the league and one of the best contracts in the league as well.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Absolutely not, for so many reasons (in order of importance).

1. We need these young guys to experience a winning atmosphere. Young guys need confidence, and it comes in different forms. One thing that can effect a team's confidence is the approach management takes. Look at our cup run, we were on the outside looking in when Lowe traded for Roli, Samsonov, etc. He traded futures for proven players because he believed in that group. A GM that believes his group can win will get the players believing it as well. Adversely, I look at the Blue Jays crumbling this year after Anthopolous sat on his hands at the deadline. Different sport, different personalities, but the managerial message is the same.

2. There are much worse teams on paper out there. We aren't going to out tank BUF/CAR/FLA. To be honest, I still think we are a much better team than Calgary and feel they will eventually find themselves bottom 5. Even if we wanted to suck that bad, there are a few teams we'd never catch.

3. The adjustment for the lottery odds make it a bit less likely to nab McDavid if you do finish last. I don't see us as a playoff team anyway, why not try and if (when) we eventually fail, be content that its a deep draft should our pick remain in the 9-14 range, and be ecstatic if our >5% chance strikes gold.

A good breakdown of the situation, and a strong argument against tanking.

This is the type of post I was looking forward to.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
No. Play to win. We probably won't make the playoffs, so we'll still get a shot at winning the lottery, anyway. Enough is enough of this tanking crap.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
It's really unfortunate we got 1st overall is 3 weaker drafts.

But we really need to start winning now.

Not only that, last year we got Draisaitl with the 3rd overall, this year's top 3 prospects are Mcdavid, Eichel and Hanifin. our luck is just so ******* bad.

Kulleroinen*

As a fan watching the games this season, no.

As a fan watching the games for next 10 seasons, oh yes. Tank tank tank!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This is brutal. If we did we may well see all of Hall, RNH, and Yak say screw this place and the we'd get to have another 3-5 years of this crap after we draft McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad