Should the Oilers Be Buyers At the Deadline?

Should the Oilers Be Buyers At the Deadline?

• Total voters

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
If Oilers can get good winger to top. 6 position why not. If the price is right.

Puljujärvi,Rattie, Lucic. We need better wingers badly.

Yamamoto is more longterm project as he is small and have to build his body for NHL level.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We don’t have the cap tonadd without salary going back. We also need much more then 1 piece to push us over the top. Our 1st and 2nd should be off the table for a rental.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As mentioned above our first and second need to be off the table for rentals at least the next 4 or 5 years.

So important in todays NHL to keep an influx of young talent.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
the oil basically have two options.

be patient, don't make any big trades and HOPE young guys like pooly, yama, future picks etc will develop and offer better secondary scoring (while playing the right way). and HOPE guys like looch cagg, khaira etc can pick up the slack in the meantime.

other options is to make a riskier big splash trade maybe involving nurse, talbot, pooly picks etc to land a solid top 6 veteran or two who has good character and can help develop some of the up and coming young forwards. as great as connor is as an individual player i don't think he has the personality and leadership yet to help develop the other young forwards. i really do think it helps to have a couple of good top six leaders on the team to help with development.

this organization has sometimes shown to be too patient with the status quo. they sometimes fail to realize when a big shake up is needed. imo, they waited far too long to boot hall and ebs and they paid for it with potentially not as big a return in trade value.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Assuming that we are either in a playoff spot by then or within striking distance do you sacrifice future assets if we can add a player or players that greatly improve our chances to make the postseason?

we do not have a lot to sell to get the pieces we need

might just be me

we are not just one piece away from the cup

THIS year--we are not buyers

next year I think we start going all in

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
we do not have a lot to sell to get the pieces we need

might just be me

we are not just one piece away from the cup

THIS year--we are not buyers

next year I think we start going all in

If we don't buy now then we need to look to upgrade in the Summer before the season even starts IMO.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
the oil basically have two options.

be patient, don't make any big trades and HOPE young guys like pooly, yama, future picks etc will develop and offer better secondary scoring (while playing the right way). and HOPE guys like looch cagg, khaira etc can pick up the slack in the meantime.

other options is to make a riskier big splash trade maybe involving nurse, talbot, pooly picks etc to land a solid top 6 veteran or two who has good character and can help develop some of the up and coming young forwards. as great as connor is as an individual player i don't think he has the personality and leadership yet to help develop the other young forwards. i really do think it helps to have a couple of good top six leaders on the team to help with development.

this organization has sometimes shown to be too patient with the status quo. they sometimes fail to realize when a big shake up is needed. imo, they waited far too long to boot hall and ebs and they paid for it with potentially not as big a return in trade value.

We can afford to be patient now since the major pieces that we need to add to our core is a starting goalie and some wingers. We are set at center and defence for years.

RNH-Mcdavid-xxx
xxx-Draisaitl-xxx

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard

By next year we will know if Koskinen, JP, Yamamoto and possibly Benson will become part of the core.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If we don't buy now then we need to look to upgrade in the Summer before the season even starts IMO.

example

all indications are the leafs will be moving Gardiner--do we give them say a 2nd and jones now and have him walk in the off season? so a short term fix that will reappear in the immediate future

whether we like it or not we need to watch our cap situation for now and in the future

we are going to need players on ELC and the players closest to being ready are players taken in the 1st and 2nd round and those are the assets the teams seeling will want us to give up

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
example

all indications are the leafs will be moving Gardiner--do we give them say a 2nd and jones now and have him walk in the off season? so a short term fix that will reappear in the immediate future

whether we like it or not we need to watch our cap situation for now and in the future

we are going to need players on ELC and the players closest to being ready are players taken in the 1st and 2nd round and those are the assets the teams seeling will want us to give up

Gradiner is an UFA at years end, that would be a terrible trade. Jones is likely part of the solution here going forward, moving him for a rental would be idiotic. I also doubt that the Leafs move out Gardiner in the middle of a playoff drive although I maybe wrong as I haven't paid much attention to them this year.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Gradiner is an UFA at years end, that would be a terrible trade. Jones is likely part of the solution here going forward, moving him for a rental would be idiotic. I also doubt that the Leafs move out Gardiner in the middle of a playoff drive although I maybe wrong as I haven't paid much attention to them this year.

Your absolutely correct, the Leafs are sitting 2nd overall in the show to think they would move a top 4 dman (on their team) at the deadline is not very logical at all. Gardiner will walk at seasons end and sign a nice contract elsewhere.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

most teams will be selling soon to be UFA and not player with term and that is what we should be doing--lower end term

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
We can afford to be patient now since the major pieces that we need to add to our core is a starting goalie and some wingers. We are set at center and defence for years.

RNH-Mcdavid-xxx
xxx-Draisaitl-xxx

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard

By next year we will know if Koskinen, JP, Yamamoto and possibly Benson will become part of the core.

the problem is i don't think drai has proven yet to be a good center. he really only looks consistently effective with connor. nuge is ok but he's a center that needs help driving a line.

imo, i think we might need to take a shot at a good character effective top six fwd or two as soon as possible. we can keep playing the patience game but i think all it does is hurt connor and the team. ihe's carrying such a huge load that i think he's wearing down and that can eventually lead to injuries... heck maybe even a career altering injury. if connor blows his knee or hip or something it can really alterr his effectiveness. also, i do notice him starting to cheat a bit more recently and a bit less effort on defence. he's getting impatient.

i could be totally wrong but i'm not sold on nurse yet. i don't like what i've seen from pooly. and i think it's worth a risk at trading talbot. he's proven to be a good tender when on his game but you gotta give up something to get something.

but you're right, i habven't looked at the salary situation to know who's contracts are up soon and who we maybe able to buy out etc if we want to bring in a legit veteran top sixer or two.

i just think with hitch at the helm he can deploy a system where you can get away with solid but not great dmen. but it looks like he's calling for more scoring help.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Probably better if Chia doesn't make any moves but its tempting after this much prolonged agony.

I can pretty much guarantee that Chia cant pull a trade off without approval from others in Oilerville. He is now walking on eggshells and at the end of the rope. He is set us back badly in a terrible way. Bruin fans told me this before we hired him. The one trade that will haunt him forever is the 1st and 2nd for Reinhart. He could barely make Bridgeport and did not have NHL speed. Barzal, Chabot, Conner, Boeser, Aho, Dermott, etc were all there. They all played great before they got drafted. I remember the day well. Bettman announced "We have a trade". I cringed because the camera panned to Chiarelli and he had that look off a kid who got caught with his hands in the cookie jar.
I like what Keith Gretzky has done with our drafting. Our prospect cupboard is filling up. I just don't want Chiarelli there anymore. GM"s know they can bend him over without KY jelly. IF Garth Snow kills you on trades, you are no good as a GM.

Everyone knows, no playoffs this year, Chia is gone in May

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Still too early to answer this question. klefbom, Russell and maybe even Sekera need to come back first to see exactly what this team is first. The team was playing well and winning games before Klefbom and Russell got hurt so adding may not be a terrible idea. If we drop out of the playoff picture then it doesn’t really make any sense.

We could be out by then. The only reason we are still in is everyone else loses in Pacific and Wildcard when we lose. I want Parayko bad but scared to see what Chiarelli would trade to get.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I voted yes, only if we can add an impact player like Stone - and he is precisely who I would target. I made a proposal on the main trade boards in the "Ottawa cap floor" thread that seemed acceptable to the Sens fan that did decide to comment. I'll preface it with this comment though - before making a move like this, we'd need evidence that Sekera has played well enough that another team would want him in the off-season (basically need his money out in order to extend Stone).

The deal was...

To OTT: Talbot (cap purposes), Spooner (cap purposes), Yamamoto, 2019 1st, 2019 3rd

To EDM: Stone

From there, we have options with our lineup - stack it top heavy....

Nuge-McD-Stone
Rieder-Drai-Chiasson

....or balance it out more.

Caggulia-McD-Stone
Rieder-Drai-Chiasson
Khaira-Nuge-Pulju
Looch-Brodz-Kass

To get Stone locked up likely costs a 7 year, 56 million deal (8 per), but he's worth every penny. He's exactly the type of guy who will click with McDavid - extremely high hockey IQ, possession/takeaway beast, good size/strength and a willingness to get to the front of the net. You stack that line with Nuge and you have a line that can rival the Colorado one.

As for where that cap room comes from, Sekera's NMC becomes limited in the off-season. If he's bounced back enough to look like a solid 2nd pair D, then I'm sure there will be teams interested. Teams looking to add a vet D would gladly grab a guy whose only under contract for 2 years @ 5.5 than give a 5+ year deal in free agency for a similar player.

We need to make the playoffs. You get in, and with McDavid and how open our division is, anything is possible.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We need to improve on special teams to be successful. So aquire some pk help....pp would be great but hard to acquire...

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As sad as it is I voted no base on the many holes we have in the line up . This is the off season to make some moves . Both Russell and Sekera NMC become limit NTC . The GM need to move one of them along with Lucic . Lucic and Sekera would be my choice . Opening up cap along with drafting good in this deep draft could set us up nicely . I think our roster should look like

RNH McDavid xxx/ Stone. Is my hope
Xxx Draisaitl Puljujarvi / if he doesn’t show something in the next year and a half he needs to go
Rieder xxx xxx
Caggiula Khaira Xxx

Klefbom Bouchard
Nurse Larsson but all for an up grade on Nurse if he thinks he worth more then 5x5
Jones
A upgrade or two on D

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I can pretty much guarantee that Chia cant pull a trade off without approval from others in Oilerville. He is now walking on eggshells and at the end of the rope. He is set us back badly in a terrible way. Bruin fans told me this before we hired him. The one trade that will haunt him forever is the 1st and 2nd for Reinhart. He could barely make Bridgeport and did not have NHL speed. Barzal, Chabot, Conner, Boeser, Aho, Dermott, etc were all there. They all played great before they got drafted. I remember the day well. Bettman announced "We have a trade". I cringed because the camera panned to Chiarelli and he had that look off a kid who got caught with his hands in the cookie jar.
I like what Keith Gretzky has done with our drafting. Our prospect cupboard is filling up. I just don't want Chiarelli there anymore. GM"s know they can bend him over without KY jelly. IF Garth Snow kills you on trades, you are no good as a GM.

Everyone knows, no playoffs this year, Chia is gone in May

You for got agents know how to bend Chia while the using gravel . He just terrible at contracts . See Lucic , Gryba contract then buyout and then there Draisaitl . It might have been better for us he someone offer sheeted him and got 4 1st . If Montreal did we could have drafted the Finnish centre .

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We could be out by then. The only reason we are still in is everyone else loses in Pacific and Wildcard when we lose. I want Parayko bad but scared to see what Chiarelli would trade to get.
If we’re out at any point then it doesn’t make sense to squander assets on rentals.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If we’re out at any point then it doesn’t make sense to squander assets on rentals.

Exactly. I’m still calling this one

Pittsburgh got bullied by Tom Wilson too much. If they wanna advance against Washington , they need a counter. How about Lucic to Pittsburgh . We would have to take back money I figure.
Do u do it?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
You for got agents know how to bend Chia while the using gravel . He just terrible at contracts . See Lucic , Gryba contract then buyout and then there Draisaitl . It might have been better for us he someone offer sheeted him and got 4 1st . If Montreal did we could have drafted the Finnish centre .

I didn’t forget, I’m just too depressed to write it down. All the contracts u listed, you are 100% correct. Did he do McDavids or Drais contract first? I forget. I would have done Drai first.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Exactly. I’m still calling this one

Pittsburgh got bullied by Tom Wilson too much. If they wanna advance against Washington , they need a counter. How about Lucic to Pittsburgh . We would have to take back money I figure.
Do u do it?
I think you need to seriously look at any opportunity to move Lucic’s contract if the opportunity comes up. Will be hard to do with the money, term and his no movement clause though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I didn’t forget, I’m just too depressed to write it down. All the contracts u listed, you are 100% correct. Did he do McDavids or Drais contract first? I forget. I would have done Drai first.
Draisaitl waited until McDavid signed first. He didn’t want to negotiate the previous summer at all. Aside from trading a player who is being a hard liner, not much you can do in that case.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Why would we want to move Looch? He is a valuable member of the famous Hitchcock creation, the "Identity Line".:D

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Draisaitl waited until McDavid signed first. He didn’t want to negotiate the previous summer at all. Aside from trading a player who is being a hard liner, not much you can do in that case.

He was smart then. Drai has a great playoff but 7 in my books was a great contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad