Should the Oilers Be Buyers At the Deadline?

Should the Oilers Be Buyers At the Deadline?

• Total voters

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I would love to pick up Marleau at the deadline for his leadership and playoff experience. For a 25 overall I think it would be worth it, our window is now.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I don't think so at all. Too many holes, too many bad contracts and not enough money to do anything. They need to be sellers and move out as many bad pieces as they can. It's going to be a huge hole to dig out of so hopefully if Chiarelli is gone, whoever replaces him can start that. JMO.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
If we're in a fight for a spot, no imo.

The only way I move futures for help this year is if we are comfortably in a playoff spot, or it's a legit deal to help the team for more than just one run.

I believe anything can happen in the playoffs, but I have a hard time justifying deadline deals involving futures just so you can hopefully get in.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
We'll be an outside shot at a playoff spot come trade deadline, so I don't think we should make a blockbuster move this season. Keep all of our assets, trade guys like Sekera, Brodziak maybe even Nurse or Larsson for picks or role players (need a wing shooter). Would love to have a guy like Mike Hoffman if everything works out around that time, but I would prefer us go for picks or guys that execute really well on PP1 or can keep up with McDavid. If we go ahead and dump some cap we might be able to make a solid pickup on July 1.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Oilers are in no position, playoff position or not, to be trading any type of valuable asset. And they also have a madman (desperate GM trying to save his job) at the controls. I hope upper management has a short leash on him from here on out.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Can you expand on why not?

Oh your serious? Multiple reasons I can see why we shouldn’t. For one, 25 ovr? If the oilers do get in it will be a huge success if they get into the second round. Secondly our window is not even close to now, Mcdavid is 21, not even in his prime yet, we have a lot of solid young guys in the minors and coming up who will add over the next couple years for the first time in a long time. We have one of the worst depth charts in the entire league, and that’s probably the most important thing in the playoffs, a Marleau isn’t going to fix that problem

We need a under 27 impact winger who would be going to enter or in his prime to boost our team. Not a player that’s probably a year from retirement.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
We'll be an outside shot at a playoff spot come trade deadline, so I don't think we should make a blockbuster move this season. Keep all of our assets, trade guys like Sekera, Brodziak maybe even Nurse or Larsson for picks or role players (need a wing shooter). Would love to have a guy like Mike Hoffman if everything works out around that time, but I would prefer us go for picks or guys that execute really well on PP1 or can keep up with McDavid. If we go ahead and dump some cap we might be able to make a solid pickup on July 1.
Larsson, really? This team has no defense and you don't trade a 25 year old top 4 defenseman signed to a great contract for picks. This club need more players like Larsson not less. They need another top 4 d-man and a pair of scoring wingers to be truly competitive. Some of these may come trough the ranks (Puljujaarvi, Bouchard), some may have to be signed as free agents (Lucic was supposed to be that, but he failed in the top 6 role). The gaps that are left need to be filled at the trade deadline with rentals.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
To much cap bound up in players not worth their salary to compete. The Lucic deal is of course the worst, but it will cost a lot of assets to dump somewhere. Then you have 4 millions in Russel (Hes a fine defenceman, but not worth more than 2 millions). Sekera is rumoured to be coming back from injury soon and its doubtful he will be worth his 5,5 mill. I would use 1st picks and some young players if they knew they could sign some free agents to fill those spots. Talbot has not delivered this year and they should keep the cheapest option of him and Koskinen this offseason. Lucic, Russel, Sekera and Talbot would get 20 mill of their books.

They have 3 fine top 4D players in Klefbom(To often injured), Larson and Nurse, but they need that 1D to lead them. If they dont believe Bouchard can be that guy getting Karlsson this offseason would make their D one of the best in the league.

They lack scoring depth and its pretty much McDavid carrying the teams offence with some support from Draisatl and RNH. The rest are floaters. Getting one of Stone/Panarin would make them much deeper and would let 3rd liners play in the 3rd line not 2nd. You could keep McD-Drai and have Panarin/Stone carry the 2nd line with RNH.

So rentals at the deadline I would say no, but clearing cap if they are able to dump some players if they know they can sign some free agents would be good.

Oilers should set up the team to compete now while McDavid is at his best, but its already to late for this season I guess as they have to little depth and cant add salary at the TDL.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
At this point I just hope Chia doesn't go mad at the TDL, no matter which direction this team heads 'til then..

BamaOil

Nov 18, 2018
Larsson would be my last choice to deal away, but you know what, you're right, his contract is pretty great so I'd keep him. Shoot Nurse into the Sun though. This team is only going to be good when our current D prospects can come up and contribute. I don't see any of our forward prospects panning out, so that means we need to deal away some of our current D to pick up some pieces.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
No way. We have a fire sale ahead of us. Injuries are taking a hit now and the Oilers will drop out from the race in a week or two. Look at Talbot, Chiason and Rieder to be removed for the picks... The question is who will move them out as Chiarelli is moved before

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we're losing lately but c'mon. It's the injuries. We are well positioned to go on a great run so we need to load up

Reactions: fuswald

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Larsson would be my last choice to deal away, but you know what, you're right, his contract is pretty great so I'd keep him. Shoot Nurse into the Sun though. This team is only going to be good when our current D prospects can come up and contribute. I don't see any of our forward prospects panning out, so that means we need to deal away some of our current D to pick up some pieces.

Definitely keep Larsson.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I missed a poll option. "**** no, are you losing your damn mind BBO!?!?!"

Needless to say no to being buyers although we tried to slap a bandaid on our d for now. No moving of picks unless it's part of a long term solution here.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I'm a big believer in picking up help at the deadline as a reward to the players that dragged the team into a playoff position.

Edit: so buy if within 2 pts of a WC spot on deadline day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad