Should the Oilers Be Buyers At the Deadline?

Should the Oilers Be Buyers At the Deadline?

• Total voters

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Assuming that we are either in a playoff spot by then or within striking distance do you sacrifice future assets if we can add a player or players that greatly improve our chances to make the postseason?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We're not anywhere near a contending team and need to keep our picks/prospects as they will be valuable in terms of cap room in the future. We should just roll with what we have and continue to build through the draft.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We're not anywhere near a contending team and need to keep our picks/prospects as they will be valuable in terms of cap room in the future. We should just roll with what we have and continue to build through the draft.

Agreed. Recent losses to Tampa and Winnipeg showed us how far away we really are from contending. Just fight like hell with this group to make the playoffs and gain experience in that manner without sacrificing future assets.

In the off season, clean house, close bloated head office positions, and dump salary as much as possible with Spooner, Sekera, Kassian, and do not resign Talbot. Pick off a player that will be offered up by the cap challenged team once that is done, Tampa, Winnipeg, Toronto, Colorado and perhaps others will be offloading good players in order to sign their young superstars. Draft well and continue to develop what we have. In the summer of 2020 you dump Lucic.

Reactions: McLovin and McDrai

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Agreed. Recent losses to Tampa and Winnipeg showed us how far away we really are from contending. Just fight like hell with this group to make the playoffs and gain experience in that manner without sacrificing future assets.

In the off season, clean house, close bloated head office positions, and dump salary as much as possible with Spooner, Sekera, Kassian, and do not resign Talbot. Pick off a player that will be offered up by the cap challenged team once that is done, Tampa, Winnipeg, Toronto, Colorado and perhaps others will be offloading good players in order to sign their young superstars. Draft well and continue to develop what we have. In the summer of 2020 you dump Lucic.

Kassian maybe overpaid but he is not a cap dump. Spooner if he doesn't get going and Sekera if he still looks poor when he returns I agree on. I would much rather use assets to acquire a long term solution here. IMO we are at the point that we cannot wait any longer to add an impact forward to help out our 2nd line.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Probably better if Chia doesn't make any moves but its tempting after this much prolonged agony.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Kassian maybe overpaid but he is not a cap dump. Spooner if he doesn't get going and Sekera if he still looks poor when he returns I agree on. I would much rather use assets to acquire a long term solution here. IMO we are at the point that we cannot wait any longer to add an impact forward to help out our 2nd line.

Kassian is not a cap dump per se, but his production doesn't equate to his salary, hence he has to go and take no salary back in the process. If we can move those 3 and do not resign Talbot we have the cap space to trade for 2 quality second line players from a future cap strapped team giving us scoring depth without sacrificing too much in terms of picks and present prospects within our system.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Only if it's a Stone like player that comes with an extension.

Or basically any top6 winger, but extended

No time whatsoever for rentals.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Probably better if Chia doesn't make any moves but its tempting after this much prolonged agony.

This is the first answer that pops in my mind. Even with the latest deal we give up a defensively responsible Center who at least doesn't bleed goals in trade for basically a nothing waiver type pick up who is indistinguishable from players teams just give up on. the worst being there isn't even appreciable cap savings in it.

I don't know that I would give assets away for a rental. Maybe an asset. Its situationally based. The problem with the question being asked before Xmas is we don't know what that situation will be. It should be evaluated relative to where the team is at at that point. who knows, maybe by then all of Pulju, Khaira, Cagg are making some major inroads and players like Lucic and Kass are doing their part. Its really impossible to know.

I will say that the importance of this club making the playoffs, and what that brings in terms of good will, buoyance, positivity, and experience is worth giving up something. Its huge. If theres a chance to make the playoffs, with this franchise, I think you have to take it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Assuming all of their d are back they will have no cap space. They can only bring in roughly what they send out and that leaves very little option to upgrade.

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Yes as long as it's an impact player like Stone that we might be able to re-sign if Chia dumps cap

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah I think if they’re in a playoff position you defiantly add some depth. I wouldn’t go after a big fish but picking up a middle 6 winger on an expiring deal would be a good move.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You simply cannot have the best player in the world on your roster and 'play for the future' The team needs to make a move, unfortunately we have very few assets to do so and our gm is laughably bad.

Also it would be so oiler like for some higher ups neutering the gm on moves and not firing him now.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I don't think we are good enough to worry about it.
I see this team finishing just outside of a playoff spot.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Making a move for a useful player with term makes sense, but by no means should they make a blockbuster for a rental. Losing Klefbom and Russell really sucks, but they should be back soon and hopefully Nurse has learned a thing or two by playing all of these minutes.

I get the argument that they need to capitalize on McDavid in his prime, but there's no point in giving up a lot of assets just to get slaughtered by Nashville, or worse Calgary, in the first round.

Things in Bakersfield are FINALLY looking positive.

No playoffs would mean a change in management, hopefully for the better. Unlike many of you, I believe that Katz is losing his mind right now. He is paying way too much money to under performing players, managers and now former coaches. However, I'm still really worried that he'll likely keep Lowe and Nicholson who will hire the first former Team Canada dinosaur that answers their land line to be their GM.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Once klef and Russell are back and if Sekera can recover to even a #3-#4 d-man then I think maybe we could look to a top winger with term to trade for. Spooner kass and benning plus could all be possibly shopped around for something just not sure what that something could involve. I don’t believe we need to be looking at bringing in a d-man our future d core actually looks like it could be a decent defence in coming yrs

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I voted yes for an impact player but I’m terrified of Chia attempting any sort of big deal.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They didn’t make any significant moves when they were solidly in a playoff position a couple years ago, why would they make one now when they’re struggling to remain in a spot?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Still too early to answer this question. klefbom, Russell and maybe even Sekera need to come back first to see exactly what this team is first. The team was playing well and winning games before Klefbom and Russell got hurt so adding may not be a terrible idea. If we drop out of the playoff picture then it doesn’t really make any sense.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Yes if you want to compete this year. Our prospect pit is full enough that we can part with one or two and not get completely pillaged.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
They didn’t make any significant moves when they were solidly in a playoff position a couple years ago, why would they make one now when they’re struggling to remain in a spot?
Because Chia’s job is on the line this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad