Should the NHL have allowed the use of non-wooden sticks?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In 1984 there was only 63 first line first power play unit spot.
Now there is 96.

With some defenceman making the cut off, you have enough spot to be all filled by first liners/first PP unit guy now.

In hockey the change on the goaltender side of things equipment wise is so massive versus the equipment available to a pitcher and they do make the ball a bit fly a little longer or shorter over time has well, that it is not necessarily a fair comparable.

In 1984 there was only 63 first line first power play unit spot.
Now there is 96.

With some defenceman making the cut off, you have enough spot to be all filled by first liners/first PP unit guy now.

Composite stick did not lead to an out of norm high scoring change and was not an issue after the first couple of season when they were breaking all the time.

I hope too much time hasn't passed for me to reply to this.... but you could argue there are closer to 120 first unit spots since 4F/1D is a much more common PP configuration nowadays.

Reactions: MadLuke

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Personally I'd rather see wooden sticks...There's something exciting about watching a player fly into the zone and wind up into a big slapper...Just don't see that anymore really.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Generally, I'd agree. However, bats have changed a great deal since the 90's. I don't think they are using ash anymore; I believe its maple. And they make them so light and flimsy now, every player seems to use at least two bats a game. I think part of the homerun surge is due to the quality of the bats, even if they aren't made to last.

They changed the baseballs as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad