Should the NHL cross-promote with UFC?

straka91*

:laugh:

If you hate UFC or combat sports in general so be it, we all got our own tastes. But atleast educate yourself before throwing out insults. Hockey is a violent, sometimes combative sport, so its very... wierd?, seeing a hockey fan insult another violent sport like that.

What would be the point of joining up? I see no advantages to either sides. Wouldnt happen anyway since the "New" NHL is trying to get away from its violent history and become more T.V. friendly. (Not a fan of this but what can ya do.) This would hinder that change and make it laughable.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The amount of incredibly stupid, and completely uneducated, posts in this thread regarding MMA is unreal. All the same stupid type of excuses people give about hockey, actually. One below takes the cake.

Really don't want UFC d-bag fans finding out about hockey...

Lovely.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'd like to see research reports showing the effects of any relationship, the number of MMA fans who are also hockey fans and more importantly NHL fans. I'd also like to see conversion rates for both sports among the other's fan base. Once I digested those, I could decide whether it makes sense or not.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
The difference is that hockey is awesome while MMA sucks.

That's a matter of opinion. You don't like it, fine. Doesn't mean I'm a d-bag because I do. Most people say hockey sucks, I've found they say that because they don't understand it. Have found the same about MMA.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
MMA is guys who know lethal moves fighting, what happens if or should I say when one guy accidentally uses a lethal move and kills a guy, like that leg kick by Machida on Couture was brutal and looked like it could have been fatal.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The amount of incredibly stupid, and completely uneducated, posts in this thread regarding MMA is unreal. All the same stupid type of excuses people give about hockey, actually. One below takes the cake.

That's a matter of opinion. You don't like it, fine. Doesn't mean I'm a d-bag because I do. Most people say hockey sucks, I've found they say that because they don't understand it. Have found the same about MMA.

I feel like I should clarify my statement, since you seem to have gone out of your way to be offended by it:

At no point did I accuse you - or anyone else - of being a d-bag. If you are offended, then you are offended by your own ideas. The simple truth is that there are plenty of UFC fans who are total idiots that I want no association with (there's also a lot of hockey fans that I wish I could distance myself from, but that's another topic for another day). Only someone looking for an argument would twist my words into "everybody who likes UFC is a dbag"

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
They use to cross promote UFC events here in Anaheim. They've brought Dana White and Mike Swick here before. Actually also saw Michael Bisping on the jumbotron and booed him. Last season Tito Ortiz did a charity event with the Ducks. Cross promotion with the local teams work, but league wise, I don't know.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
No joke, I think that's viewers the NHL should try to get, UFC is the fastest growing sport, young men these days plays violent and imaginative video games, watch UFC and wrestling. The NHL should market to these guys and say screw the nerds and people that wants hockey to become like International hockey.

I'm a nerd and I say screw the sociopaths who champion violence as an awesome entertainment option. There's many wars being fought on this planet today, and I am sure any number of armies have a very special place for those kind of people.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I'm a nerd and I say screw the sociopaths who champion violence as an awesome entertainment option. There's many wars being fought on this planet today, and I am sure any number of armies have a very special place for those kind of people.

There are actually alot of us nerds involved in MMA. BJJ is very friendly to the nerdy crowd, you go to a class and you'll see a few guys sitting around chatting about video games and such. Hell Jens Pulver used to be the UFC 155 lb champion and at the same time he had one of the highest PVP titles possible in World of Warcraft.

As for the person who was asking about how many fans cross between both sports. The answer is ALOT. Canada has the largest percentage of UFC PPV buys and sells out our arenas the fastest.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I like the anti-MMA people here.

"How dare they try to ruin our sacred sport with this barbaric violence"....

"Hey bro, did you see Orr and Perros scrap it out last night, they both were bleeding everywhere...I forget who won the game, but that fight rules...hockey is amazing bro"

RandR

May 15, 2011
Hockey is already tainted enough as an violent sport in much of the American public eye by its own far-too frequent acts of goonery. Linking itself with MMA would just further such an image.

I am not such a purist that I want to take contact and fighting out of hockey, but this would be a step in the wrong direction while the league is increasing penalties for goon acts like Gillies.

The NHL should have nothing to do with the MMA; however, they likely can't stop individual teams from cross-promoting.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Nope

UFC is a joke ,, A sport were guys punch people who are unconscious laying on ground makes no sense.

Perhaps you should reconsider your statements because so long as the NHL allows guys like Mike Milbury and Ken Daneyko to represent their sport their sending the same message. After the brawl between the Penguins and Islanders, Daneyko loved it so much and felt it was such a GREAT thing for the game and that it was such a high entertainment factor for the fans, he compared it to the Islanders winning the Stanley cup and stated the Building hasn't rocked like that since they won the cup in the 80s. He believed there should be more of it and felt it was great for the fans, he felt it was great entertainment and the NHL is in the entertainment business.

I personally think the guy is a jackass, but these are the guys the NHL has representing it and so long as they do, cross promoting with a mixed martial arts which has been rapidly growing across the world, wouldn't be the worst thing.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nope

UFC is a joke ,, A sport were guys punch people who are unconscious laying on ground makes no sense.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. None whatsoever. I'm sorry, but you are so uneducated on the sport that you should not talk about it at all. You might see stuff like that on the regional level (where late stoppages are all too common), but the refs in the big leagues are generally very good. You tend to see fights stopped too soon rather than too late.

-----

The NHL and UFC should absolutely co-promote. The UFC is one of the fastest growing sports leagues in the world. The NHL should grab onto that and go. The UFC would also be able to use the NHL as a more classic, more legitimate sport that they can embrace.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MMA is guys who know lethal moves fighting, what happens if or should I say when one guy accidentally uses a lethal move and kills a guy, like that leg kick by Machida on Couture was brutal and looked like it could have been fatal.

Way more people have been killed in boxing. ****, I can only remember one guy actually dying after a mixed martial arts match and that's because he was a 6'9 freak who stupidly cut to 155 pounds.

Boxing still exists with the deaths they have had. Why would it effect MMA at all?

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I feel like I should clarify my statement, since you seem to have gone out of your way to be offended by it:

At no point did I accuse you - or anyone else - of being a d-bag. If you are offended, then you are offended by your own ideas. The simple truth is that there are plenty of UFC fans who are total idiots that I want no association with (there's also a lot of hockey fans that I wish I could distance myself from, but that's another topic for another day). Only someone looking for an argument would twist my words into "everybody who likes UFC is a dbag"

Seeing as how you didn't clarify, at all, it was pretty easy. Every sport has obnoxious fans, MMA fans are worse? I've seen the opposite. Those who are diehard MMA fans, to me, are some of the most knowledgeable when it comes to the sport that I've seen.

Don't make such sweeping comments if you don't want to get called out.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Combat, fighting to me is what being a man is all about. I'm proud of the soldiers that fights for a cause and to achieve something in life. And putting two guys in the ring and going all out, giving everything they have is beautiful. It's surpassing yourself on a deep level and honoring what we are as men.

These are the things that lefty wussy feminist society wants to get rid of, but i'll stand up for the right to be a man and the warrior spirit we have inside of us.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Reasons why such an idea would be helpful to both sports:

Benefits to the NHL:

MMA is exploding. Particularly the UFC brand. Not only would it help get the NHL get more exposure in the US (particularly non-hockey markets), but the inroads the sport has made into other non-hockey markets, Japan, Brazil, the UK, Australia, etc... could all prove to be a major growth opportunity for the NHL. It would provide instant access to sports fans who have an appetite for fast-paced, physical sports, and can accept a measure of violence within a strict framework of rules. Further, their presence in Vegas may be an asset in exploring a potential All-Star Game location, possible expansion, etc. The UFC is one of the most innovative of all sports in their marketing and promotional techniques. They're experts at appeling to the 18-35 male demographic, especially.

Benefits to the UFC:

Hockey fans have already demonstrated a tolerance for, and at times even an appreciation for, an element of violence in sport. Certainly a pre-requisite for becoming an MMA fan. Further, the NHL has managed to overcome much of the mainstream misunderstandings of their sport. They have presented themselves in a way that better represents the sense of competion, while not sensationalizing the violent aspect. They have a strong presence in Sweden, Finland, Russia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Norway, etc.

The reason why Canada is the heartland of hockey, and the mecca of MMA, is no coincidence.

As many have already pointed out, this thread is a sobering reminder of how completely uninformed the mainstream is when it comes to MMA. No wonder it still isn't being sanctioned in NY state. The UFC doesn't do itself any credit to shed this image either, with all the terrible nu-metal, blood spatter graphics, checker plated steel, the "cage", "fight wear", etc. Sponsors like Harley Davidson. All it does is attract alpha d-bags that want to see someone bleed. And those turds already know all about the UFC.

Anyhow, I digress.

To those MMA naysayers out there, keep in mind that hockey allows bare knuckle fighting, and there are no weight classes. Look at the issues with head shots and the number of concussions in the sport. Jesus, skiing is more dangerous than MMA.

For the supporters of of MMA, know that HF has a great board dedicated to the sport on 'Page 2'. It seems a lot of the members here are unaware of it. You can find it here:

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

KillerKampfer*

NO WAY.

Shame on whoever for thinking this.

No chance.

Should distance themselves from boxing, let alone this stuff. Worse than WWE for them to be thought of in the same light.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

Way more people have been killed in boxing. ****, I can only remember one guy actually dying after a mixed martial arts match and that's because he was a 6'9 freak who stupidly cut to 155 pounds.

Boxing still exists with the deaths they have had. Why would it effect MMA at all?

What, some of these MMA guys have a screw loose and in a moment of anger might kill a guy.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Combat, fighting to me is what being a man is all about. I'm proud of the soldiers that fights for a cause and to achieve something in life. And putting two guys in the ring and going all out, giving everything they have is beautiful. It's surpassing yourself on a deep level and honoring what we are as men.

These are the things that lefty wussy feminist society wants to get rid of, but i'll stand up for the right to be a man and the warrior spirit we have inside of us.

This post has officially convinced me that this post is one of the silliest things I've ever read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad