Should the league make it illegal to fall to the ice to block the puck?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If we're going to talk rule changes, let's talk about something sensible like: if you score on a delayed penalty, you still get to go on the power play.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I remember hearing this idea on TV (I forget where TBH) and I personally really like it. If the league is all about making the game "safer" and adding more offence then I believe this rule would address both.

I guess a common argument would be "players would then just pretend to fall onto the ice" and while I agree some players would do that the league would then treat that as diving. If the ref catches it it is a penalty, if the ref misses it then the league can fine the player using the same system as diving.

As I said I really think this is a good idea with very minimal impact on the game while adding a lot more offence.

get rid of the D man then? It is part of hockey blocking shots

Questions or ideas like this I just do not understand

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
and how do you police this idea? What constitutes going down intentionally and by accident?

I'm voting no AINEC

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I remember hearing this idea on TV (I forget where TBH) and I personally really like it. If the league is all about making the game "safer" and adding more offence then I believe this rule would address both.

I guess a common argument would be "players would then just pretend to fall onto the ice" and while I agree some players would do that the league would then treat that as diving. If the ref catches it it is a penalty, if the ref misses it then the league can fine the player using the same system as diving.

As I said I really think this is a good idea with very minimal impact on the game while adding a lot more offence.

Why does this need to be changed? Don't pretend you care about player safety, this idea is based solely on a desire to see more shots get through.

And what is this obsession some have with adding offense? Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and there is virtually no offense. If you want more offense watch lacrosse and leave hockey alone.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I've suggested if a person falls on the ice and blocks the puck he should be forced to skate back to his bench after the puck hits him. This would cut down the amount of blocked shots but not have alot of penalties awarded

:facepalm:

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
If we're going to talk rule changes, let's talk about something sensible like: if you score on a delayed penalty, you still get to go on the power play.

I mean, I have no problem with that it's just that it doesn't really happen that often.

Let's go a little crazy and start calling icing on the team that's killing the penalty.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
and how do you police this idea? What constitutes going down intentionally and by accident?

I'm voting no AINEC

I addressed this in my first post. Treat it like diving, if the ref catches it it is called a penalty. If the ref misses it then the league has the option to fine the player after a warning or two.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
Why don't we just outlaw defensemen? Only forwards allowed.

Better yet, allow the defending team to have only two players inside their own blue line at any time. Or award a goal to any player that takes a slapshot and strikes an opposing player.

This isn't basketball. Every single play doesn't have to be a scoring opportunity. This rule would be a complete insult to the defensive side of the game. If a player is willing to take himself out of a play by throwing himself to the ice, and you can't get the puck around him, that's a YOU problem.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
They should probably do away with the Vezina, Selke, and Norris trophies too as those reward defensive play (well the Norris doesn't always do so, but there should be no award for defencemen so it goes along with the others). Why encourage defensive play if goals are the be all and end all in hockey?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
There's already enough inconsistency with the reffing, I am sure adding another highly subjective (not to mention, terrible) rule would improve the game.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
How many guys get seriously hurt every year by lying down in front of a slap shot? (serious question - if it's a significant number, then having a rule to help the players protect themselves from...themselves is an idea worth discussing).

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Why does this need to be changed? Don't pretend you care about player safety, this idea is based solely on a desire to see more shots get through.

And what is this obsession some have with adding offense? Soccer is the most popular sport in the world and there is virtually no offense. If you want more offense watch lacrosse and leave hockey alone.

Ummmm but soccer became the beautiful game because of amazing things they can do on offense. Not because of the defense

I would bet percentage of shots that go in in soccer is higher than hockey anyways. They just get fewer chances per game with the giant field and way more players so most of the game is passing around the middle of the field

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad