Should the league make it illegal to fall to the ice to block the puck?

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
No offense to the rest of the world, we never liked soccer and that's why created better more entertaining sports. It's the younger generation that likes soccer, enjoys suffocating D in hockey, thinks music has never been better and Papa Johns is the gold standard for Pizza. Yikes

Better more entertaining sports? Gridiron and basketball where it's easier to score than not? Maybe the "rest of the world" have got it right and scoring goals/points should be hard thus making them more valuable.

Typical "we do everything better" north American attitude.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Should make it like Basketball. Players have ten seconds to get the puck over center, if they don't they have to drop the puck where it is, skate back to the goal line then play resumes.

I like this. Same as basketball can't bring it back to the defensive zone but I just don't see this being effective. So many passes are tipped our bounced off a body.

Would a violation be reviewable? What would the violation be? Penalty? D zone faceoff?

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'm just fed up of the constant idiotic tinkering, most of which doesn't actually serve to improve the on-ice product. Aside from elimination of the red line (and two-line pass) they haven't done anything that has served to improve the entertainment value of the way the game is played. At least not in my mind. It'd be nice if they finally incorporated the larger international ice surface that way the skilled players could actually make greater use of their skill, but I guess that's just too easy...

Except that has exactly the opposite effect. Its too much space for the defenders to cover so they just collapse into the goal. It makes for a ton of boring perimeter play and not a lot of actual excitement and scoring. Think back to some of the Olympic games played on international ice. Bleh.

AaronDellForPrez

RF Modulator
Dec 29, 2009
New Zealand, South Island
I think for PK-icing, one solution would be for the officials to toss another puck onto the ice each time the PK team ices it. To prevent the PK team from gaining scoring chances, these additional pucks would have to be a different color.

For viewers at home, they should somehow computer enhance the multiple pucks to allow the casual viewer to follow them all.

In the last 3 minutes of each period, a goal scored with a colored puck will be worth 1 goal, but an additional penalty shot should be awarded, with the PK team choosing the PP team's players to take it. And if the lead is greater than 2 goals, the colored-puck-last-3-minute-rule-penalty-shot taker has to use his off hand only to shoot the puck.

If the colored puck hits both posts before going in, it is declared a "Postie" and every player on the offensive team is awarded an extra assist.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Better more entertaining sports? Gridiron and basketball where it's easier to score than not? Maybe the "rest of the world" have got it right and scoring goals/points should be hard thus making them more valuable.

Typical "we do everything better" north American attitude.
rugby football can have alot of points. Gridiron football probably has around the same amount of points as hockey they just go up by larger numbers

league football is a bit less but everyone's favorite players are the guys that put up hockey like numbers

catscatscats

Oct 26, 2006
Boynton Beach
They should mandate all teams install laser cannons and artificial intelligence systems that visiting teams upload prior to each game.

This way control of THE ARENA's defense systems will transfer to the road team at their discretion and the AI would then challenge all attendants in THE ARENA to an ad-supported tower defense game while hockey occurs below (in real time!)

It would require the home team's fans to defeat the visiting team's AI before THE ARENA opens fire on the home team's skaters. Download links would be included with the purchase of a ticket and your plan's data rates would apply.

Even the backup goalie can serve a purpose now when he's sitting on the bench getting bored during hockey time. He just has to have his cell phone handy and be on alert watching the jumbotron so he's ready to play along when summoned (after a brief five-second advertisement.)

:help: I like shot blocking. Players as it is are increasingly conscious of health and risk management so this will phase itself out eventually. But I don't think overuse or misuse have cheapened its place in the game. It doesn't seem like something that would need to be abruptly banned.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007

That's an example of the tactic I suggested. It's a crappy way to limit the use of shot blocking but I think it's better than creating a new penalty.

I know it's a deflection that went up to Vlasics face but I like the high shot idea. Just not face height. I'd say shoot hard and aim between the "blockers" waist and underarm/chest. If they can aim well enough to shoot wide to bounce the puck out in front, they can pick targets on the blocker.

I don't wanna promote injury but I also hate the overuse of shot blocking. It would just be a matter of time before teams stop collapsing their players to the net in order to block the shooting lanes cause they'll get sick of the bruises and cracked ribs.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I remember hearing this idea on TV (I forget where TBH) and I personally really like it. If the league is all about making the game "safer" and adding more offence then I believe this rule would address both.

I guess a common argument would be "players would then just pretend to fall onto the ice" and while I agree some players would do that the league would then treat that as diving. If the ref catches it it is a penalty, if the ref misses it then the league can fine the player using the same system as diving.

As I said I really think this is a good idea with very minimal impact on the game while adding a lot more offence.

:laugh:

c'mon.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
This is the dumbest rule idea i've heard of in a really long time.

It really isn't. It's one of the problems in today's game. If they did away with blocks that were on purpose, it would help wih all the complaining going on about the offensive problems the league is having. Combine it with calling obstruction and reduce the pads on the goalies.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
It really isn't. It's one of the problems in today's game. If they did away with blocks that were on purpose, it would help wih all the complaining going on about the offensive problems the league is having. Combine it with calling obstruction and reduce the pads on the goalies.

The problem with goal scoring is the fact that most goalies are 6'2-6'6 protecting a net that is 4x6.

The goalies got bigger but the nets never changed, hence less pucks go in.

Make the net 5x7 and the scoring will go up.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I think it's a good idea and the sarcasm is unwarranted in this thread

Agreed. I think some form of restriction on shot blocking would be good for the game. I dont know exactly what form it should take but I like the concept

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The problem with goal scoring is the fact that most goalies are 6'2-6'6 protecting a net that is 4x6.

Goalies used to have to actually move to make saves. Most of the time now they just get in the way.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Goalies used to have to actually move to make saves. Most of the time now they just get in the way.

Pretty much....

Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for there to be several goalies in the league that were 5'7-5'9.

Look at Darren Pang.... He's like 5'4.

Now the nets are plugged by Sasquatches.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Pretty much....

Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for there to be several goalies in the league that were 5'7-5'9.

Look at Darren Pang.... He's like 5'4.

Now the nets are plugged by Sasquatches.

Pang did a good job or just standing still and making saves too for a little guy in the alumni game, it falls into the same realm i think

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

can you explain scoring in lacrosse?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
It would be another rule, that the Ref's rarely call, cause players can figure out ways to make it look like, O' I fell and happened to block that puck.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I've suggested if a person falls on the ice and blocks the puck he should be forced to skate back to his bench after the puck hits him. This would cut down the amount of blocked shots but not have alot of penalties awarded

This, could work, a form of touch up, like off-sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad