Should the league make it illegal to fall to the ice to block the puck?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I remember hearing this idea on TV (I forget where TBH) and I personally really like it. If the league is all about making the game "safer" and adding more offence then I believe this rule would address both.

I guess a common argument would be "players would then just pretend to fall onto the ice" and while I agree some players would do that the league would then treat that as diving. If the ref catches it it is a penalty, if the ref misses it then the league can fine the player using the same system as diving.

As I said I really think this is a good idea with very minimal impact on the game while adding a lot more offence.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I've suggested if a person falls on the ice and blocks the puck he should be forced to skate back to his bench after the puck hits him. This would cut down the amount of blocked shots but not have alot of penalties awarded

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
the absurdity of this proposition is only matched by your assertion that it would only " minimally" affect the game.

you want to tie it to no lifters ?

dont you get enough of all offense all the time in the shootout ?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
They should make it illegal for a forward to enter his own zone

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What at all does this accomplish?

Well hypothetically if people can't block shots using their body, then more shots will go to the net, which probably will have a minimal increase on scoring

Beyond that it would also cut down on injuries for players(or players games deteriorating over time due to constantly be hit by a puck)

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
How many guys go down to block shots anymore???? Even if this rule was implemented it wouldn't make much of a difference. I don't see a need for it anyway.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Should make it like Basketball. Players have ten seconds to get the puck over center, if they don't they have to drop the puck where it is, skate back to the goal line then play resumes.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I think it's a good idea and the sarcasm is unwarranted in this thread

I think you are confusing derision for sarcasm.

But I get why some want to reduce the game to offense only by artificially impeding effective defense. But oh imagine the dirtiest of danglez!

No thank you.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think you are confusing derision for sarcasm.

But I get why some want to reduce the game to offense only by artificially impeding effective defense. But oh imagine the dirtiest of danglez!

No thank you.

I like the game the way it is, but for those that need moar goals, the is much more palatable than bigger nets or smaller goal gear.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Should make it like Ringette in the offensive/defensive zone it is 3 on 3 hahahahaahhahaha

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I remember hearing this idea on TV (I forget where TBH) and I personally really like it. If the league is all about making the game "safer" and adding more offence then I believe this rule would address both.

I guess a common argument would be "players would then just pretend to fall onto the ice" and while I agree some players would do that the league would then treat that as diving. If the ref catches it it is a penalty, if the ref misses it then the league can fine the player using the same system as diving.

As I said I really think this is a good idea with very minimal impact on the game while adding a lot more offence.

very minimal

Also don't allow icing on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad