Should the Jets Extend Tanev now For $ 1.6 Mil for 3 years-Poll

Should the Jets Extend Tanev now for $ 1,6 mil per year over 3-4 years ??

• 1) no -I think he's making what hes worth right now- no salary increase.

• 2) wait til the season's over, and then make a decision, based on production.

• 3) Tanezv is overrated, and we can fill his spot with a cheaper entry level contact.

• 4) yes we should extend Tanev now for around $ 1,5 to $ 1.6 mil over 3-4 years.

• 5) The Jet's sould renew his contract at year's end, but no increase in salary.

• 6) Tanev is overrated, and we shoukld let him walk after this season - better guys out there.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It is definitely a fine time to dunk on the Tanev haters. Not too long ago ppl used him as an example of Maurice not knowing what hes doing... so first off I'm here for that.

To answer the question... I'd say yes but probably not a penny above 1.5M. The guy does share a kind of similar path with Burrows. I'm seeing more and more of that in his game. Late bloomer that is still getting better and smarter thanks mostly to work ethic.

The contract you are talking about would be questionable if he and Lowry got split up somehow. Their chemistry and game away from the puck is a huge part of their success. But it could also become a bargain if Tanev kept getting better. Which isnt out of the question since he is still improving.

People can think a contract like this would affect Trouba Connor Laine deals etc but in reality it wont. Those deals/trade is going down one way or the other. Only thing it would affect is how soon Kulikov or Perreault would be out the door.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Voted #4. $1.5M over 3 years is safe.

He was totally lost in his first season but slowly cleaned up his game. He's now very effective and worth keeping. His career trajectory to date reminds me of what Alex Burrows did. Let's see where he ends up!

K so I'm not the only one... burrows ended up signing a 4 year extension for $2M per before he played on a line with the Sedins lol

Reactions: mazmin

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
I would definitely try to keep him, always goes full throttle at every situation, wearing out the opposing team. Very valuable player in his position. The only thing I'm worried about is how long he can continue playing the way he does, kind of expecting him to fall off quick when closing 30yrs. So three years would be max contract I'd give and in the 1,2-1,4mil range

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
Sign him now. We can trade a similar salary if need be. We might be able to trade him if we found a cheaper option, which I doubt we would. The salary cap crunch coming can really be addressed by shedding more significant salaries like Myers, Kulikov, Perreault. We may never need to worry about Trouba's contract.
At that price, Tanev would be a bargain.

Reactions: GNP

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
Gotta keep him. He’s like the energizer bunny that keeps on going and going. He gives it his all every shift, draws penalties, kills penalties, hits, blocks shots , and can score at a third line rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibanezrokr and GNP

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Wait for now, he could be a good piece but he's replaceable

I don't think he is replaceable. Not sure you can sign a penalty killer with energy who can pot the odd goal for that 1.5 mil or less on the open market. And I don't think we have anyone in the system who can penalty kill like him. I don't see alot of guys throw their body like him to block shots.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
That would be a large hometown discount for Tanev.

Antoine Roussel got 4 years at 3 million AAV. Tanev is worth at least that on the open market.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Probably costs more to re-sign Tanev. 3 years at a $1.6 M AAV would be a nice deal and Chevy doesn't bat an eye at that.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I think at that price it is a no-brainer, but he will probably ask and receive > 2 million a year from someone and I don't think it will be the Jets.

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
At 1.6 I'd do it for sure. Unfortunately I think he's going to cost more than that, and anything over 2 is too expensive for us IMO. Hopefully he loves playing here and takes a discount!

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I'd sign 1.5-1.6M/year for as long as he wants, but I doubt Tanev signs before the end of the year.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He won't sign for 1.5 / 1.6 because he will have an opportunity to get more.
He's on pace for 17 goals and 15 assists.
If he's any where near those numbers with the shot blocking, PK etc... he has to be worth over 2m to some teams.

And he can't afford to take a "haircut" to stay.
Unlike the players making 5 million + a few extra hundred thousand per year is a really big deal to his total earnings.

Chances are his numbers will come down but hell he could get hot (like in the playoffs).
Imagine a 20 goal season and what that could get him on the open market.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Every dollar counts. My vote is to address Tanev after we know how Laine, Connor, and Trouba's contracts play out because flexibility when attempting to lock up the elite core of this team may end up more valuable than it's complimentary peices. You can't go back and ask for a few 100k back from Tanev once he signs.
Also: We don't know than Tanev will be content with a 400K raise for the prime years of his career.
Logic would dictate that you deal with low hanging fruit first. The Trouba, Laine, Connor contracts could drag on until training camp and perhaps beyond.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If they can't pay their 3rd line around 6 million time to pack up and move. That seems well bellow average 3rd line salary. Connor and Laine has no baring on this
What Tanev will sign for is an interesting question. Most contenders who are cap crunched won't be offering much more than the Jets can afford, and he likely won't find as a good a fit as he has with Lowry. If the Jets offer him security at a fair price he may not even get to the point where he looks elsewhere. 3 X's $2 M maybe gets it done.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Logic would dictate that you deal with low hanging fruit first. The Trouba, Laine, Connor contracts could drag on until training camp and perhaps beyond.
I would recommend that important pieces should be prioritized over the less important pieces. Building and maintaining a solid core is the priority, retaining nice complimentary pieces comes next.

If one of or a combination of Connor, Laine, and Trouba aren't signed by or beyond training camp that changes things quite a bit. Having cap room to help prevent that should also be a priority.

Remember: this debate is based around someone's assumption that Tanev is going to accept a 3 year 1.5M AAV deal. It might not be that easy.

Edit. Addressed other contracts

Last edited:

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Voted #4. $1.5M over 3 years is safe.

He was totally lost in his first season but slowly cleaned up his game. He's now very effective and worth keeping. His career trajectory to date reminds me of what Alex Burrows did. Let's see where he ends up!
If they can pay Petan a mil to do nothing then Tanev definitely worth 1.5.

Someone wil give him 2-2.5 over3 years

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad