Speculation: Should the Ducks retire #9 for Paul Kariya

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
How were we not relevant in the 90s? Paul Kariya made this franchise actually worth talking about regarding NHL hockey. If it wasn't for him then yes you're right we weren't "relevant" in the 90s

Correct. Does anyone remember any of the former players besides the big names?

Maxim Bets, Scott Mackay, Dwayne Norris...

The fact is in 1994, you watched because of Paul Kariya, and his supporting cast Dave Karpa, Oleg Tverdovsky, Joe Sacco, Steve Ruccin, ect.

I went to the games in the 90's as a young kid to watch Kariya bury that puck, everyone else was a helper. If it was a band in the 70's, it would have been "Paul Kariya and the Puck Passers". Him and Teemu were the only people I showed up to watch. Everyone else was irrelevant, at the age of 10 and under.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

The fact is in 1994, you watched because of Paul Kariya, and his supporting cast Dave Karpa, Oleg Tverdovsky, Joe Sacco, Steve Ruccin, ect.

I went to the games in the 90's as a young kid to watch Kariya bury that puck, everyone else was a helper. If it was a band in the 70's, it would have been "Paul Kariya and the Puck Passers". Him and Teemu were the only people I showed up to watch. Everyone else was irrelevant, at the age of 10 and under.

Does any die-hard fan even remember three random players who played 1 or 2 games twenty years ago? You couldn't have pointed out three players who were relevant but easily forgotten like Gark Valk or Darren Vam Impe or Marty McInnis?

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010

Bets only played 3 games a Mighty Duck, Mackay 1, and Norris 3. Those are terrible names to use as a comparison :laugh:

And Tverdovsky was my favorite player as a little kid, was sad when he was traded for Teemu (little did I know). I see what you're saying, but personally I'd rather not retire Kariya's number. I'd much rather be selective and obviously retire Teemu's and maybe Jiggy's.

Ducksgo*

At the end of the day. Kariyas jersey needs to be retired. He was a staple for this franchise at one point in time.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Does any die-hard fan even remember three random players who played 1 or 2 games twenty years ago? You couldn't have pointed out three players who were relevant but easily forgotten like Gark Valk or Darren Vam Impe or Marty McInnis?

What about Peter Leboutillier? Does that make things better?

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA

Kariya didn't even play in Anaheim in '94. If we're going to get trivial lets be correct at least.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Off the floor and on the board is so overrated. Kariya's best playoff moment is 1997 game 6 OT.

I thought it was a cool moment, and the crowd went crazy, but I agree it gets massively overrated. It was a big hit, and he scored a fairly meaningless goal(as meaningless as it gets in the Cup Finals, at least). People make it sound like he broke his leg and gutted it out, or something. The media just played it up. The star of those playoffs was Giguere. I'm not even sure Kariya would be in my top 3 of best players for us in those playoffs. Maybe not even top 5.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I thought it was a cool moment, and the crowd went crazy, but I agree it gets massively overrated. It was a big hit, and he scored a fairly meaningless goal(as meaningless as it gets in the Cup Finals, at least). People make it sound like he broke his leg and gutted it out, or something. The media just played it up. The star of those playoffs was Giguere. I'm not even sure Kariya would be in my top 3 of best players for us in those playoffs. Maybe not even top 5.

Fully agree, that goal was meaningless but a cool moment noentheless. As for playoff performances he wasn't in the top 3 at all, I don't remember him scoring any clutch goal. Besides Jiggy, Rucchin and Carney were also superb.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Fully agree, that goal was meaningless but a cool moment noentheless. As for playoff performances he wasn't in the top 3 at all, I don't remember him scoring any clutch goal. Besides Jiggy, Rucchin and Carney were also superb.

Game 6 ot against Phoenix in '97 if we're going back that far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad