Should the Capitals fire Barry Trotz?

Cuttinfrealbirt

Apr 23, 2017
No. Trotz has the Caps playing in a solid system that can win. Tweak personnel or just flat out change things up, but I don't think Trotz is the problem.

Not anymore. This offseason it's entirely possible they might not even be able to keep any of Oshie, Shattenkirk, Williams, and Alzner.

They're going to have to rebuild and re-tool. They're not likely going to be a very serious hockey team in the next few years. Maybe they'll squeak into the playoffs somehow but they will be a shell of their former selves (who couldn't win anyway).

So if you're restarting, why not also get rid of the coach who in his entire career has never coached a team to where Washington wants to go? Hire someone who has been there.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
No. Trotz has the Caps playing in a solid system that can win. Tweak personnel or just flat out change things up, but I don't think Trotz is the problem.

I think the problem for the Capitals is they probably agree with you.

Oddfello

Jimmy Montrose
Mar 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
Not anymore. This offseason it's entirely possible they might not even be able to keep any of Oshie, Shattenkirk, Williams, and Alzner.

They're going to have to rebuild and re-tool.

Understood, and I would say if there is a coach out there specifically skilled at re-tooling or re-building a team it would make sense to grab him. As it stands I just don't see Trotz as "the problem". However, as a Pens fan I don't have a problem with Caps fans once again circling the wagons around OV and Co. and looking elsewhere for reasons for their playoff ousting.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Honestly I'm not trolling, but I could see the Caps having more playoff success with Michel Therrien as HC. Obviously he has a short shelf-life and wouldn't last more than 3-4 years.

eddiefromirwin

Apr 15, 2017
I don't think they need Ovi and without him, they could make a run at signing almost all of their FAs. Forget about Shattenkirk. Grubauer to LV. Oshie is the new captain. Still a very dangerous team, maybe more dangerous. They are loaded with talent that they need to keep.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
Sums it up perfectly.

Trade Holtby, fire Trotz, make Grubauer the starter and bring in Sutrer.

Trading Holtby, above all else, is laughable and idiotic. Not to say you're a moron, but why the hell would they do that?

I realize he'd bring in a huge return via trade, but goaltending is their only solid strength at this point.

Their offense seems non-existent over the past several playoffs under Trotz, and even more magnified since the Ovi era.

Holtby is the MVP and shouldn't be moved.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trading Holtby, above all else, is laughable and idiotic. Not to say you're a moron, but why the hell would they do that?

I realize he'd bring in a huge return via trade, but goaltending is their only solid strength at this point.

Their offense seems non-existent over the past several playoffs under Trotz, and even more magnified since the Ovi era.

Holtby is the MVP and shouldn't be moved.

My line of thought with trading Holtby is that the Caps have a replacement for him on the roster already and the team had to make a change to the core after years of failure. The Caps have tried changing the support pieces and the coaching staff up to this point and nothing has worked. At some point, you gotta look at the core (aka Backstrom, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Carlson and Holtby IMO).

illpucks

May 26, 2011
My line of thought with trading Holtby is that the Caps have a replacement for him on the roster already and the team had to make a change to the core after years of failure. The Caps have tried changing the support pieces and the coaching staff up to this point and nothing has worked. At some point, you gotta look at the core (aka Backstrom, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Carlson and Holtby IMO).

It depends on how good Grubauer turns out to be. Can he start 60+ games? I think they ought to sell Holtby if they can get a huge return.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey

What about trading Backstrom and Ovi, and keeping Holtby? I think that's the better idea if you're Brian MacLellen, Washington's GM.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
What about trading Backstrom and Ovi, and keeping Holtby? I think that's the better idea if you're Brian MacLellen, Washington's GM.

Yeah trade 50% of their offense while building around a goalie worse than their backup, sounds brilliant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad