Should the Capitals fire Barry Trotz?

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
I realize that it's only his third year there but.....

Last two seasons = 111 combined wins and 238 points. Yet, as we all know, they haven't made it to the ECF in either season. They should have at least one Cup win by now.

Is Ovechkin mostly to blame? Since his playoff debut in '08, they've yet to make it past the second round. This postseason = only 8 points in 13 games. They haven't made the ECF since 1998.

To me, this team needs a swift kick in the ass. A coach with great motivational skills would be perfect for them, a guy like Lavy or Tortorella.

Thoughts on the coaching, as well as the coaching philosophy for next season?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
At this point blaming the coach seems absolutely laughable.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
How many coaches deep is this problem for Washington? Maybe something else is the problem.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
I feel like it's slight over-reaction..

1) Pens are defending champs. Caps didn't lose to a bad team.

2) Caps were a couple bounces(inches) away from everyone talking about them moving on.. So a slight flick of the wrist difference completely changes how people view them?

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
No...they keep winning regular season no matter the coach, its the personnel in the playoffs that are failing them

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Yes. I'm not quite sure why people think it's only Ovechkin's bad performance, they're two different issues.

It won't likely make a difference now with their roster going down next year which is a shame, it might have if they had made the change last season but obviously it would've made less sense to have done it then.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
I feel like it's slight over-reaction..

1) Pens are defending champs. Caps didn't lose to a bad team.

2) Caps were a couple bounces(inches) away from everyone talking about them moving on.. So a slight flick of the wrist difference completely changes how people view them?

The biggest issue/reason they lost were the missed shots on net. How the hell do you not get a SOG on a breakaway?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I realize that it's only his third year there but.....

Last two seasons = 111 combined wins and 238 points. Yet, as we all know, they haven't made it to the ECF in either season. They should have at least one Cup win by now.

Is Ovechkin mostly to blame? Since his playoff debut in '08, they've yet to make it past the second round. This postseason = only 8 points in 13 games. They haven't made the ECF since 1998.

To me, this team needs a swift kick in the ass. A coach with great motivational skills would be perfect for them, a guy like Lavy or Tortorella.

Thoughts on the coaching, as well as the coaching philosophy for next season?

Torts? How is gooning it up any different than what happened these last two playoffs?

The Caps' need a system they can buy into that isn't just physicality and power plays.

As a guy who saw Tracy McGrady do very similar stuff for the Magic in the NBA (which is an entirely different sport in every right) - strictly speaking on how to handle a super star vice coaching change - I say that it's a gamble no matter what. I think it might take both, but I also follow the Caps as little as possible. Just sort of evidence gathering from the major fires of the past few years.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
Torts? How is gooning it up any different than what happened these last two playoffs?

The Caps' need a system they can buy into that isn't just physicality and power plays.

As a guy who saw Tracy McGrady do very similar stuff for the Magic in the NBA (which is an entirely different sport in every right) - strictly speaking on how to handle a super star vice coaching change - I say that it's a gamble no matter what. I think it might take both, but I also follow the Caps as little as possible. Just sort of evidence gathering from the major fires of the past few years.

Motivating, not gooning. They're soft.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
I think yes, but their core is aging and can't get it done.

In my opinion losing Forsberg was a huge blow to the franchise.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
It's not the grit behind the bench that needs to be swapped. Firing Trotz is the easy decision, but the problems are the players on the ice.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If anything, the fact the coach had them playing their best hockey all season long says something. The fact there wasn't more in the tank for the playoffs kind of shows the exact opposite, that the coach was getting the most. The simple fact is, OV isn't worth the money.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
17 seasons - and Trotz has never passed round 2.

Lets just entertain the idea that the new coach and not the constant core is the problem.

The WSH have had 2 of the top 10 coaches in the NHL. Short of maybe Sutter (though he had his own struggles by the end in LA), who are you going to get in the same league, let alone better?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
The caps change coaches often and get the same results

time to change the players

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why the hell would you trade Holtby? He's been excellent the past two seasons, it's not his fault they don't score for him

Because they need to make a trade to shake up the core and he's the only guy the Capitals have an internal replacement for. The Caps need to make a core change at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad