Should the Capitals fire Barry Trotz?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't think it is Trotz' fault, but the notion of bringing in Sutter is enticing. I think I would be tempted to fire Trotz because I think Sutter might do better, not because it is Trotz' fault, if that makes sense.

that's more or less what happened in Nashville. It wasn't so much that Trotz was bad, but Poile wanted to try a different style and Laviolette was available

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Trotz has been out-coached and out-schemed in every playoff series since he came to Washington. He makes good adjustments, but they come 2 games after when they should have been made.

For everyone bashing the Caps players in this thread, tell me, how much playoff success have Trotz, Boudreau, Oates, and Hunter had elsewhere?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think next season he WILL be on the hot seat.

They need to hire a proven cup winning coach, thinking more in the likes of Joel Quenneville. Sutter... don't think the Caps go near him.

Though Trotz will get hired somewhere in a heartbeat. Like Julien.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I don't totally hate Trotz. He has a lot of good things. Is there any way they can demote him to assistant coach? He can be useful in RS but there needs to be an assistant coach/HC who can handle the playoffs.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Imagine how miserable he is... 17 years of failing to get past round 2 and his former team just waltzed in

18 seasons. Not 17. I don't know why people are saying 17.

The excuse for Trotz was always, he is in Nashville with a small market team and not a great roster.

The past 3 seasons blow the doors off that excuse. What is the case for defending Trotz? If there is one, I haven't seen it.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
How do they not fire Trotz?

He looks nervous as crap on the bench during the playoffs as does his team. He's had numerous tries with a number of rosters to advance beyond round 2 and he just can't get it done. After 3 straight playoff disappointments with the Caps, what could be the reason to risk disappointment #4? Dismissing him seems like the ultimate no brainer.
Yeah, this. If this year wasn't make-or-break for Trotz, I don't know what is. Another Presidents Trophy, a banged-up Penguins, and still they lay an egg. At this point the Capitals have the choice to tear the whole team apart and start over, or try yet another coach and hope he finds the right buttons to push before it really is too late - if it isn't already.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
How was last years Pittsburgh vs Washington series the SCF when Tampa took Pittsburgh to seven games and Washington was eliminated in 6 games?

Good point. Not much to choose between TBL and WAS, both gave PIT a better run for the money than SJ did. And you are correct, TBL took it further (although goal differential WAS was closer).

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
He got the Caps as close to 3rd round as any other coach in the Ovechkin/Backstrom era.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Yes, please fire him. Then MAYBE the Coyotes would fire their sad sack of a coach and hire him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The Caps need an identity. Who are they? In the late 80's, when everybody was running and gunning with star power up front on most teams, the Caps were built around their awesome blueline. David Poile's Caps. He is doing the same thing now in Nashville.

Under George McPhee, the Caps became Ovi's team. High-powered offense, as aesthetically-pleasing and entertaining as any team in the NHL, but the lack of playoff success forced changes. Since then, they have been chasing their own tail trying to find a quick-fix for the problem.

Who are they? Are they the systematic perfectionists that Barry Trotz wants? Are they a high-flying group of talented forwards, led by Alex the Gr8? Is this still Ovechkin's team? Is it now Holtby's, without question?

The Pens went through this after winning the Cup in '09. Bylsma wanted a grinding team, Shero wanted to build around Fleury and puck-moving defensemen...both forgetting that they boasted the best center combination in the NHL. So we spun our wheels for almost a decade until the Rutherford-Sullivan regime righted the ship. Now, it's fairly obvious what the Pens are, what they do. We score goals and we are fast. More goals than anyone. Faster than anyone.

So what is Brian MacLellan going to do and what is his vision for what the Capitals are to become? And is he even the right man to answer that question?

This is a crossroads off-season for Washington, no doubt about it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Play with intensity - block shots, sacrifice, and when injured learned to push through adversity. The Capitals have been the luckiest team when it comes to injury - and i don't think that is a coincidence. Their style of play just doesn't expose them to risk.. nor does it prepare them for the playoffs mentally.

That's a good point. Before the playoffs started, I posted a thread on the main board that plotted man-games lost due to injury versus total wins for every team in the league. The Caps had a ridiculously low 50 man-games lost (whereas the average for a team was about 200). Not surprisingly, they also had the most wins. The Pens, on the other hand, suffered from a higher-than-average number of man-games lost and overcome that adversity to still win a large number of games. I speculated just what you suggested, that suffering few man-games lost might not prepare the Caps for adversity in the playoffs. Whatdyaknow... the Caps and Pens met in the 2nd round and the Pens, despite encountering all kinds of adversity (losing their starting goaltender, their #1 defenseman and, for a few games, their #1 star and captain), overcame in the end, just like they did in the regular season.

BTW, I agree with all of the rest of what you said, too, and was thinking the same things last night, while I was watching the game. Trotz or a new coach should stress a style of play in the regular season that builds character (ex. by stressing shot blocking), even though it probably will result in more injuries. Overcoming injuries is actually great for improving depth. When players are injured, other players step up or are inserted into the lineup. They get confidence, learn to play tougher minutes and, then, when the playoffs start, they're able to contribute more and the coach has more options available to him. For example, all of Pittsburgh's injuries during the regular season likely gave guys like Sheary, Rust and Guentzel just the kind of experience and confidence that has helped them be the depth that has made the difference in the playoffs. The Caps don't have similar depth to make use of because hardly being injured in the regular season doesn't give any room for growth.

Last edited:

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
I think Ovechkin is getting too much hate for this one. He played on one leg, of course they had to move him to the 3rd line. And this is coming from a Penguins fan who hates the Caps and Ovi.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Personally they need to stop trying to change OV ...guys a stallion..needs to be free...play his best hockey when hes got no reigns holding him back. Also think he himself needs to traing hard this summer and shed atleast 20 lbs ..looks fat and slow

Would be nice if they could somehow take the C off him without the following embarrassment..

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
Yes, after every loss he complains about the refs and makes excuses. I never see Sully do that. That's the difference in Champions and Trotz isn't one.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Ovechkin is getting too much hate for this one. He played on one leg, of course they had to move him to the 3rd line. And this is coming from a Penguins fan who hates the Caps and Ovi.

I concur, sir. Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer in NHL history (in my opinion). He was just given the "C" because he was the face of the franchise and it's best player. Just don't feel he's the type of leader a team needs. WSH just has too many European players that just don't seem to want to win the Stanley cup as much as North American players (6 of their top 9 are Europeans). A few tweaks to their lineup is all they need. No need trade Ovechkin. He just needs to play his style of game and not be molded into something he's not. Surround him with quick, responsible, talented, hard-working linemates and let him do his thing.

I can't believe I'm sticking up for OV ahead of a lot of their own fan base. Lol.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
that's more or less what happened in Nashville. It wasn't so much that Trotz was bad, but Poile wanted to try a different style and Laviolette was available

Laviolette is the closer. He's like the modern day Mike Keenan in some ways.

Barry Trotz is a good coach for the regular season and that's about it. The mistake Nashville made was holding on to him for too long.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I was concerned about the Caps' chances during Pierre's interview with Trotz b4 the game started where he asked "What did you tell your guys before the game?". His response was "Just have fun. This is game 7. Doesn't get more fun than this"

Shouldn't you be a little more serious about a game 7? I get it, have fun. But c'mon its so cliche and your a professional athlete, competing at a high level is not fun until you actually win the big game. Then in hindsight its fun.

Not sure Trotz is a motivator type coach, just a guy who is able to steer a team excellently through the regular season, then scratch is ass during the playoffs.

Disagree 100%

For years the hallmark of our team has been that they fail to play in the post season like they play in the regular. "Too afraid of losing", "paralysis by analysis", etc.

Trotz had the right idea, play the game that brought you. This team is clearly talented out the ass, so asking them to just play their game and have fun is a great idea. This team is aware (more than any team in NHL history) what is on the line, I think by hammering that home you're not helping.

FWIW Trotz said literally the same thing in Game 6 and that was maybe the best I've ever seen the Capitals in the post-season as well as the closest thing to their regular season selves.

I agree major changes need to happen, I don't think Trotz being fired is the answer.

Cuttinfrealbirt

Apr 23, 2017
How many coaches deep is this problem for Washington? Maybe something else is the problem.

How many times has Barry Trotz coached a team to a conference finals?

They manage to have a team that can't do it and a coach that can't do it. Of course Trotz will never lead them to a Cup. Should be fired immediately (clearly won't)

Cuttinfrealbirt

Apr 23, 2017
Also, the Caps aren't going to trade Ovechkin. If Ovechkin isn't back, it'll be because he chooses to leave for KHL

Oddfello

Jimmy Montrose
Mar 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
No. Trotz has the Caps playing in a solid system that can win. Tweak personnel or just flat out change things up, but I don't think Trotz is the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00