Should the Canucks trade Tanev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A Tanev-less defense means this team's back end is as bad as Colorado's was last season. I'm okay with that.

Having a season like Colorado's is an absolute disaster on every level.

Young players can develop on a 70 point team. Young players don't develop on a team like Colorado last year, and a season like that was brutal for the team long-term.

Being so desperate for that #1 overall pick that you aren't even likely to get that you tank so badly that the development of every other young prospect on the team gets all screwed up is just a ludicrous bargain to make.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Young players can develop on a 70 point team. Young players don't develop on a team like Colorado last year, and a season like that was brutal for the team long-term.

I'm okay with that. Sometimes when you have a tumor on the leg you need to amputate the leg to save the body. If an absolute disaster of a season means we clean house at the management level I'm on board for whatever it takes.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
No question they should trade Tanev.
We'd be able to receive essentially 2 1st round picks (I'd assume he gets dealt for a mid/late 1st and a great prospect). It also has the additional effect of our defence being atrocious and making us a legit bottom feeder, guaranteeing high draft picks for a few years.

I'd much prefer that situation, over wasting Tanev's prime years (and subsequently squandering away his value for a future trade) and finishing higher in the standings yet missing the playoffs. Part of me is worried that management thinks we can compete in 2-3 years when Tanev is still an effective dman and keeps him for that reason.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I'd be open to trading Tanev, but after he's had a year playing and letting Juolevi watch him. Try to get the young kids to soak up as much of Tanev defensive game to give them that exposure on how to properly shut down opposing teams best players.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
We live in an age where Taylor Hall gets you Adam Larsson. We should expect a Jon Drouin if we're entertaining the idea of a trade. Not a Kasperi Kapanen.

If we don't get a substantial piece in return, why trade Tanev? He has a great contract and he wants to be here. Move Edler before Tanev.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
We live in an age where Taylor Hall gets you Adam Larsson. We should expect a Jon Drouin if we're entertaining the idea of a trade. Not a Kasperi Kapanen.

If we don't get a substantial piece in return, why trade Tanev? He has a great contract and he wants to be here. Move Edler before Tanev.

Also what this guy said, except Edler NMC but if we continue to keep sucking, it's only a matter of time before he wants out... *evil laugh*:naughty:

earl grey

all the best posts
Apr 21, 2013
These are the types of players you need to trade if you are going to get top quality assets to boost your rebuild...how can anyone say otherwise?

Tanev isn't here to "teach" the young guys how to play hockey... come on! The Canucks can find experience in their staff members to help mentor young players... they don't need tanev to do so.

Without question trade him! Obviously you set the price high and wait for a buyer, and it will come.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I am aware.. but no expert or analyst could've told you that Hainsey would be doing what he's doing right now when the trade happened.

Jim Rutherford for some reason has a god touch in finding gems... Kessel... Bonino... Hainsey..

The series is not over until it's over though... but yeah PIT looking real good at the moment.

The ones who have payed attention could of told you that.
Hainsey's been running big minutes and prime responsibility in Carolina for a few yrs prior to his final one there.

Look at the teams he's been playing for. Glad he's finally on a stage to get noticed.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Being so desperate for that #1 overall pick that you aren't even likely to get that you tank so badly that the development of every other young prospect on the team gets all screwed up is just a ludicrous bargain to make.

Yeah, and what did Colorado get out of it? A 4th overall pick in a draft with 2 elite players.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I'm okay with that. Sometimes when you have a tumor on the leg you need to amputate the leg to save the body. If an absolute disaster of a season means we clean house at the management level I'm on board for whatever it takes.

What if it made ownweship give up on the proper rebuild? Jim has done more than enough to have been fired without hesitation. He's still here. You think finishing last gets him fired?

What could get him fired is another tran wreck season from Eriksson Sutter and Sbisa. Big contract guys that are a clear waste of the owners' money. Spending to the cap on crap gets them fired. Failure to deliver on promises geta them fired. Last place in a rebuild....not so sure.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yeah, and what did Colorado get out of it? A 4th overall pick in a draft with 2 elite players.

I wasn't following their odds, but I assume they were more likely to pick at #3 or #2. #4 isn't bad in most drafts, look at how well Marner played this year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't have a single untouchable on the team, just a few that would take a very very sweet deals to get from me. Tanev is one of those.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
All for trading Tanev. we are not competing for the SC for years. Keep Edler. Has a NMC ( i believe) and will not return as much. A better roll model for the young D.

Tanev is the only piece we have that will return something substantial. Who is tradable. Other than Horvat. And u trade Horvat you can kiss your fan base goodbye for 5 years rather than 2.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I wasn't following their odds, but I assume they were more likely to pick at #3 or #2. #4 isn't bad in most drafts, look at how well Marner played this year.

Colorado had the best odds 18% of first overall and a 48% of top 3 but dropped the maximum number of spots to #4. Actually, Colorado, Vancouver and Vegas all dropped the maximum number (3) of spots.

With the way the draft lottery works the worst 3 teams have a better chance of drafting 4, 5 and 6 than 1, 2 and 3. It sucks, but Edmonton winning the lottery 4 times in 6 years screwed it up for everyone.

I swear, some poster here seem to think the path to a championship is a decade of futility. We have already missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years with 29th, 28th 24th and 20th finishes. In that period we have had 7 first round picks. At some point you have to start pulling yourself out of the pit. Getting as bad as Colorado or Edmonton is detrimental to rebuilding. You have to start putting the supporting pieces in place by the time your first few high draft picks hit RFA status or else you will end up with a salary cap team that is still missing the playoffs.

What is the difference between Pittsburgh - drafting Whitney (5), Fleury (1), Malkin (2), Crosby (1) and Staal (2) and say the Islanders drafting Bailey (9), Tavares (1), Niederreiter (5), Strome (5) and Reinhart (4) is mostly the difference between Crosby and Tavares. Edmonton with Hall (1), RNH (1), Yakupov (1), Nurse (7) and Draisaitl (3), had they drafted anyone other than McDavid in 2015, would be at best a bubble team with looming cap problems. Colorado with Shattenkirk (14), Duchene (3), Landeskog (2) and MacKinnon (1) - not to mention Ryan O'Reilly picked in the 2nd round, are the worst team in the league. Players like McDavid, Matthews and Crosby are most of the difference. The rest is about making the right moves to put the support pieces around them.

Realistically, we will not be a good team next year no matter what, even if we had won the lottery. But it is time to start improving. We can't expect a fluky draft lottery pick to save the franchise.

Last edited:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Colorado had the best odds 18% of first overall and a 48% of top 3 but dropped the maximum number of spots to #4. Actually, Colorado, Vancouver and Vegas all dropped the maximum number (3) of spots.

With the way the draft lottery works the worst 3 teams have a better chance of drafting 4, 5 and 6 than 1, 2 and 3. It sucks, but Edmonton winning the lottery 4 times in 6 years screwed it up for everyone.

I swear, some poster here seem to think the path to a championship is a decade of futility. We have already missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years with 29th, 28th 24th and 20th finishes. In that period we have had 7 first round picks. At some point you have to start pulling yourself out of the pit. Getting as bad as Colorado or Edmonton is detrimental to rebuilding. You have to start putting the supporting pieces by the time your first few high draft picks hit RFA status or else you will end up with a salary cap team that is still missing the playoffs.

What is the difference between Pittsburgh - drafting Whitney (5), Fleury (1), Malkin (2), Crosby (1) and Staal (2) and say the Islanders drafting Bailey (9), Tavares (1), Niederreiter (5), Strome (5) and Reinhart (4) is mostly the difference between Crosby and Tavares. Edmonton with Hall (1), RNH (1), Yakupov (1), Nurse (7) and Draisaitl (3), had they drafted anyone other than McDavid in 2015, would be at best a bubble team with looking cap problems. Colorado with Shattenkirk (14), Duchene (3), Landeskog (2) and MacKinnon (1) - not to mention Ryan O'Reilly picked in the 2nd round, are the worst team in the league. Players like McDavid, Matthews and Crosby are most of the difference. The rest is about making the right moves to put the support pieces around them.

Realistically, we will not be a good team next year no matter what, even if we had won the lottery. But it is time to start improving. We can't expect a fluky draft lottery pick to save the franchise.

Knocked it out of the park

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yes.

Maybe something like:

Tanev + Columbus's 2017 2nd

For

Drouin, Callahan + 2017 1st

Would be nice to get Drouin and 14 but I dunno Callahans contract is terrible. Do we really want eriksson and callahans contracts PLUS Sutters 4ever?? :(

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He can list 8 teams he won't accept a trade to. The NTC isn't an issue.

Actually, it is an issue _IF_ one of the teams on his list makes for the best trading partner. BUF, for example, needs defense and is likely willing to give up good futures to make it happen.

Trading Tanev should absolutely be a possibility.

MS said:
Trading Tanev (and/or Edler) is the dumbest thing we could possibly do

Completely disagree. When competing, sure, but this team is nowhere near competitive. The return, and the team offering the return, are the most important answers to the question of trading Tanev.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Absolutely we should, this is what rebuilding teams do to rebuild. Trade good players to acquire talent for the future.

But management says we need him for mentoring, protecting kids, competing now so it wont happen.

If I could see any light at the end of this rebuild tunnel I perhaps would keep him, but we need many pieces for the future and trading tanev can help us acquire that young talent.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I swear, some poster here seem to think the path to a championship is a decade of futility. We have already missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years with 29th, 28th 24th and 20th finishes.

When was that 4th time where we finished 20th?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the rebuild starts when we trade bo horvat for picks. until then, might as well keep tanev until benning dies off

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Leaning yes but the trade needs to be knocked out of the park.

Do you trust Benning to make that kind of deal?

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad