Should the Canucks trade Tanev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Tanev is young enough that he might still be good when the team turns the corner, so I have no problem with the team holding on to him.

However, if something really good is offered, then you consider it - essentially it would be a full re-build tanking sort of move.

Edler on the other hand is at the point age-wise that he will be too old by the time team can hope to be good again. I would pressure him to waive his NTC and move him. If he refuses, then just hardcore insult him so he changes his mind.

Maybe tell him his mother was a hamster and that his father smelt of elderberries or something in that vein. That would infuriate him to the point where he would definitely demand a trade.

Dont forget to threaten to taunt him a second time ;)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Tanev is young enough that he might still be good when the team turns the corner, so I have no problem with the team holding on to him.

However, if something really good is offered, then you consider it - essentially it would be a full re-build tanking sort of move.

Edler on the other hand is at the point age-wise that he will be too old by the time team can hope to be good again. I would pressure him to waive his NTC and move him. If he refuses, then just hardcore insult him so he changes his mind.

Maybe tell him his mother was a hamster and that his father smelt of elderberries or something in that vein. That would infuriate him to the point where he would definitely demand a trade.

He'll be in his mid-30's when the team probably turns the corner.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Only if we get a new GM good at trades. With Benning's track record I'm not sure why any owner would greenlight a major trade of his. It's like trusting a pitcher with a 8.00 ERA in the wildcard game.

Nov 1, 2011
My feeling is that dmen that can handle tough matchup will sell for a premium after the expansion draft. It should be a sellers market so we should take advantage of that.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Tanev is 27, not 32. He plays the sort of game that will let him be an NHL'er for a long while. He will be valuable in helping young D-men develop and earn their ice time, and still be a good player after a few years of stockpiling youth.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Tanev is 27, not 32. He plays the sort of game that will let him be an NHL'er for a long while. He will be valuable in helping young D-men develop and earn their ice time, and still be a good player after a few years of stockpiling youth.

He gets rocked like 10 times a game. He will be worn out by 32...

Scygen

Jun 12, 2014
Calgary
I don't buy this theory that you can just magically sign or trade for a few other dmen to cover for Tanev. It doesn't work. The idea that you trade Tanev to speed up the rebuild by acquiring more youth, is countered by the fact that your existing non bluechip dmen are having their development stalled if not ruined by playing with trash dmen. A very clear example would be the Edmonton Oilers.

I guess if the offer was mind blowing you take it.. (no player is untradeable)
but lets be honest Tanev is a non physical, one dimensional, injury prone dman. The Canucks aren't getting anything mind blowing for him outside of another 'project'. Especially not with Dim Jim at the helm.

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
I don't buy this theory that you can just magically sign or trade for a few other dmen to cover for Tanev. It doesn't work. The idea that you trade Tanev to speed up the rebuild by acquiring more youth, is countered by the fact that your existing non bluechip dmen are having their development stalled if not ruined by playing with trash dmen. A very clear example would be the Edmonton Oilers.

I guess if the offer was mind blowing you take it.. (no player is untradeable)
but lets be honest Tanev is a non physical, one dimensional, injury prone dman. The Canucks aren't getting anything mind blowing for him outside of another 'project'. Especially not with Dim Jim at the helm.

One-dimensional? You're really underselling Tanev, here.

Tanev can defend, skate with the puck, and pass. His ability to pivot with the puck on his stick in tight corners in traffic is Sedin-like. His on-ice intelligence makes the team as a whole better. He can play, when needed, every other shift. That's actually a few dimensions. Tanev is a dynamic player, and his value should be sky-high. Trading him would simply gut the team. If you don't get value back when trading him, then it's simply not worth trading him.

And he's only injury-prone when he has to do all the work on his pairing. This season, he only managed to play 53 games, simply because he was getting punished by the opposing forecheck all season long, due to being paired with Sbisa. If Tanev were paired with Edler or Stetcher for the season, he probably makes it in for more games, simply because Edler and Stetcher help to back off the opposing forecheck, which means Tanev gets hit less.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
We should listen to offers, sure.

But keep in mind in this case we have literally every possible advantage on our side, prime age shutdown D on a fantastic contract with no real time constraint. Definitely be patient with this one, and get the best possible offer.

Unfortunately our management group is not known for their patience, despite their hypocritical effort to preach it to the fans.

I think we should still try to ask Edler to waive again some time down the line, just to see if it's at all possible.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
One-dimensional? You're really underselling Tanev, here.

Tanev can defend, skate with the puck, and pass. His ability to pivot with the puck on his stick in tight corners in traffic is Sedin-like. His on-ice intelligence makes the team as a whole better. He can play, when needed, every other shift. That's actually a few dimensions. Tanev is a dynamic player, and his value should be sky-high. Trading him would simply gut the team. If you don't get value back when trading him, then it's simply not worth trading him.

And he's only injury-prone when he has to do all the work on his pairing. This season, he only managed to play 53 games, simply because he was getting punished by the opposing forecheck all season long, due to being paired with Sbisa. If Tanev were paired with Edler or Stetcher for the season, he probably makes it in for more games, simply because Edler and Stetcher help to back off the opposing forecheck, which means Tanev gets hit less.

Tanev is the definition of one-dimensional.
He's good with ALL the attributes you've mentioned pretty much from the red line in.
You don't want him anywhere near the ozone... or the PP.

Just a black hole offensively.
He should also work on getting a refund for whatever money was spent training with Stamkos' shooting coach last summer as well.

And your injury-prone excuse for him is outright laughable. Where was the Sbisa excuse every other season he missed chunks of gms?

His first few seasons he would get wallpapered once a game.. like clockwork.
It's part of what makes him a great defender... he takes a hit to make the play with the puck. Having said that... his injuries haven't all been from getting wallpapered. Nor has him getting wallpapered nearly as common as it used to be.

But at the end if the day if some team looks at his fancy stats and decides to target him... I say go for it...

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Burrows will not waive his NTC, they said.

Hansen will not waive his NTC, they said.

Hamhuis will not waive his NTC, they said.

Well...

Burrows will not waive his NTC, they said. -- END OF HIS CONTRACT

Hansen will not waive his NTC, they said. -- ONLY 1 YEAR & WHEN WAS HE QUOTED THIS??

Hamhuis will not waive his NTC, they said. -- END OF HIS CONTRACT

Edler has a couple more years on his contract. A completely different situation.

Edler will not waive at this time. Pointless to bring it up unless we hear otherwise.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Burrows will not waive his NTC, they said. -- END OF HIS CONTRACT

Hansen will not waive his NTC, they said. -- ONLY 1 YEAR & WHEN WAS HE QUOTED THIS??

Hamhuis will not waive his NTC, they said. -- END OF HIS CONTRACT

Edler has a couple more years on his contract. A completely different situation.

Edler will not waive at this time. Pointless to bring it up unless we hear otherwise.

Not sure why Edler wouldn't waive for the right opportunity. Maybe he could win a cup with us as a 40 year old on a cheap contract, but realistically he has to leave now.

That said I probably don't disagree with you on the timing of Edler leaving. He probably has just as much - if not more - value for a team chasing a cup in the last year of his contract here. So I'm not sure if it is realistic to expect a team calling for him with a good offer now.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
MS is 100% right

Stecher and Juolevi with Tanev as a mentor is amazing.

also

Tanev is one of the only home grown free agent defenders top become a top 2. and hes a fan favourite. remember his first goal this season. team ignited.

dont trade tanev

we will bomb next year anyway for another lottery shot

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Tanev is the definition of one-dimensional.
He's good with ALL the attributes you've mentioned pretty much from the red line in.
You don't want him anywhere near the ozone... or the PP.

Just a black hole offensively.
He should also work on getting a refund for whatever money was spent training with Stamkos' shooting coach last summer as well.

And your injury-prone excuse for him is outright laughable. Where was the Sbisa excuse every other season he missed chunks of gms?

His first few seasons he would get wallpapered once a game.. like clockwork.
It's part of what makes him a great defender... he takes a hit to make the play with the puck. Having said that... his injuries haven't all been from getting wallpapered. Nor has him getting wallpapered nearly as common as it used to be.

But at the end if the day if some team looks at his fancy stats and decides to target him... I say go for it...

How is an one-dimensional player good at many things?

Being good at everything in your defensive zone isn't one-dimensional.

Bartkowski was one-dimensional :laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
there's two ways to answer this question. the first way is the rational way, if you have a management that has a track record of getting good value for pieces, along with a management team that has good foresight then yes i'd absolutely consider trading tanev. i'm literally the biggest tanev fan on here i think he's a top 5 defensive dman in the league (up there with hjalmarsson, vlasic and lindholm) and in terms of general value he's unquestionably a top 30 dman in the league. but if you're able to swing a deal where you can get a guy like pulju, drouin or a top 5 pick you absolutely do it, under the condition that you can bring in a lower quality top 4 guy through free agency or as a cap dump. that's in my opinion the most logical and easy way to get a tanev deal done.

with benning in charge? i want absolutely no part in trading tanev, none.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
I believe his NTC kicks in July 1st this year. That would be why the Trade Tanev conversation is burning up the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad