News Article: Should The Bruins Retire Tim Thomas’ Number?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This 100%

Maybe slightly off-topic, but the one thing that I always found interesting was people talk about all the amazing saves Thomas had. The interesting part is he made routine saves look difficult because he positioning was not always great i.e. at times he made things look harder than they were. On the flip side Rask is a positionally sound goalie and because of it makes difficult saves look routine. Thomas had a fantastic run when they won the cup, no question, but he wasn't the sole reason the Bruins won the cup like many make it seem.

Thomas 2011 - 1.98 GAA / .940 SV% / 4SO
Rask 2013 - 1.88 GAA / .940 SV% / 3SO

^One guy is blamed by many for not winning a cup in 2013 and the other is considered the reason the team won it all in 2011

i love Rask, i like him over Thomas. Buuuuut

one of them posted a goose egg in back to back game 7’s to win the cup, the other threw up on himself twice and visitors lifted the cup in Boston...twice

for the question, not a chance. Two dominant seasons and a godlike playoff run. Otherwise i feel like his career was fairly average, often times quite bad.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
i love Rask, i like him over Thomas. Buuuuut

one of them posted a goose egg in back to back game 7’s to win the cup, the other threw up on himself twice and visitors lifted the cup in Boston...twice

for the question, not a chance. Two dominant seasons and a godlike playoff run. Otherwise i feel like his career was fairly average, often times quite bad.

You're proving my point lol. Rask is blamed for 2013 even though the offense managed 2 or less goals in 4 of the 6 games. Marchand recorded a total of zero points in the 2013 SCF and no one says a word about it. Krejci, Seguin, Jagr and Horton all failed to register a goal in the 2013 SCF. Think about that 5 of your key offensive players failed to register a goal. Danille Paille and Chris Kelly were 3rd in goals for Bruins in the SCF and only 7 players recorded at least 1 goal.

2019 the team managed 2 or less goals in 4 of the 7 games and the lost all 4 games. Sean Kuraly was the 2nd leading producer for the Bruins in the SCF. Brandon Carlo was tied for the 2nd most goals scored by a Bruin in the SCF with Marchand, Pastrnak and Kuraly. But ya Rask threw up on himself.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
You're proving my point lol. Rask is blamed for 2013 even though the offense managed 2 or less goals in 4 of the 6 games. Marchand recorded a total of zero points in the 2013 SCF and no one says a word about it. Krejci, Seguin, Jagr and Horton all failed to register a goal in the 2013 SCF. Think about that 5 of your key offensive players failed to register a goal. Danille Paille and Chris Kelly were 3rd in goals for Bruins in the SCF and only 7 players recorded at least 1 goal.

2019 the team managed 2 or less goals in 4 of the 7 games and the lost all 4 games. Sean Kuraly was the 2nd leading producer for the Bruins in the SCF. Brandon Carlo was tied for the 2nd most goals scored by a Bruin in the SCF with Marchand, Pastrnak and Kuraly. But ya Rask threw up on himself.
I didn’t realize much of that.

Very good post regarding some disappointing hockey.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

oh I don’t blame Rask for the losses. The team as a whole bent over and took it. However, i had twice the confidence in Thomas in those games over Rask.

again, I’m a Rask fan, and not huge on Thomas overall. No arguing two goose eggs in the two biggest games of his career though.

Reactions: rfournier103

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I loved watching Timmy play, and his run in the 2011 playoffs was legendary, but I don't think his number should be retired. B's already have a lot of numbers in the rafters, and #33 and #37 are as close to locks at this point as could be...

Reactions: rfournier103

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Bruins really should have a ring of honor/team hall of fame

I'd like to see them do something to honour the great goalies this franchise has had. For all the numbers that have been retired, they've never retired a goalies number. Maybe some sort of honour roll for Bruins goalies.

Brimsek
Thompson
Cheevers
Rask
Thomas

I'd even toss Moog in there. Guy won by my count 8 playoff series between 1989 and 1992 and is Top 10 all-time games played for Bruin netminders. Gilbert, Johnston, and Dafoe also should get consideration.

Reactions: Troublesome 85

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This should be a poll but: NO! Great goaltender, one of the best who ever played for the Bruins but no. As others have mentioned there have been other goalies besides TT and Cheevers who have worn the number and it wasn't retired for them. I'm huge fan of his and IMO too many numbers are off the board now so. no.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
With the exception of Terry O'Reilly and Rick Middleton every retired Bruins # belongs to a HHOFer. And while O'Reilly & Middleton were great Bruins they weren't HHOFers although a case can be made for Middleton. If they can have their #s retired why not Tim Thomas??? Tim Thomas was a great Bruin. He was a major part of the resurgence of this team in the late 200os. He had as season for the ages that led to the team's first Stanley Cup in 39 years. If he hadn't struggled with concussion & mental health issues after that season the Bruins might have won at least 1 more Cup.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
We do.

Approx 25 players and then some builders. All the players deserve to be in. Hitchman is retired but not in our HOF.

That's news to me. I've never heard of the Bruins having a team hall of fame. A quick search brings me to an article by KPD from a year and a half ago titled "A Bruins Hall of Fame is long overdue"

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
His peak was so very high and the argument is definitely there he was the biggest reason for the Cup.

I'd give it to him. His peak was Hall of Fame worthy, as was his journey to the NHL.

Thomas before Rask for the honor to me. That peak was better than the best Tuukka, and more significant.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
His peak was so very high and the argument is definitely there he was the biggest reason for the Cup.

I'd give it to him. His peak was Hall of Fame worthy, as was his journey to the NHL.

Thomas before Rask for the honor to me. That peak was better than the best Tuukka, and more significant.
Absolutely.

Would love to see the B's do it while Rask is still here.

I know that's not the consensus here, nor will there be appreciation for this pic, but this is how it should be done:
q29jevbDPoM58sqAQxpP8WkA7JuGJYgYm-9MY48BCg4.jpg

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

You’re right.

Blaming Rask for that 2013 loss is beyond lunatic.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
If you can't retire the number of the best goalie you've had in the past 70 years - one that, despite the shortish career, has plenty of black ink for a HHOF argument - I'm not sure you can retire anyone's.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Not sure how I feel about the number being retired but I do think he should be in the HOF without question.

Goalies seem to get the run around with the hall though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad