News Article: Should The Bruins Retire Tim Thomas’ Number?

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That completely different then using it as a negotiation chip. Using it as a negotiation chip would be "hey if you take a discount we'll retire your number".

You built quite a strawman there. You're the one who said it was a negotiation chip, not me.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
What are you talking about? That is not my opinion at all. Tuukka deserves it equally because of his stats - best goaltender in modern Bruins history over the long run (while Timmy had the most dominant peak).

I only reacted to what you originally posted. Now you have seemed to change your tune. If you post it, it is your opinion, unless otherwise stated, not to be.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
He had a heck of a run, albeit a short one, but it has to be no. I loved Thomas, great clutch goalie, unorthodox as they come and a fiery competitor.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I only reacted to what you originally posted. Now you have seemed to change your tune. If you post it, it is your opinion, unless otherwise stated, not to be.
Well, you interpreted it wrong and then got all emotional about it again. :shrug:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You built quite a strawman there. You're the one who said it was a negotiation chip, not me.

The reason you retire numbers is to give players an incentive to stay when it comes to contract time. It's a non-monetary reward that goes a long way.

Given that, I'd retire all of: Rask, Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron, Chara and Thomas without a shadow of a doubt. And you show that to guys like Torey Krug and Charlie McAvoy when you ask them to take a hometown discount.

Sooo what were you saying exactly here?

Why not? If I was offering a very good player a contract to be on the team long-term, I'd walk him down, show him the rafters and say "you want to take the money somewhere else, or do you want to be immortal here?"

or here....

If what you've outlined here is not using retiring a number as a negotiation chip, then what is it?

p.s. your "why not" was in me referring to it as a negotiation chip. So you're saying use it as a negotiation chip.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Sooo what were you saying exactly here?

or here....

If what you've outlined here is not using retiring a number as a negotiation chip, then what is it?

p.s. your "why not" was in me referring to it as a negotiation chip. So you're saying use it as a negotiation chip.

To recap.

I wrote:

"If I was offering a very good player a contract to be on the team long-term, I'd walk him down, show him the rafters and say "you want to take the money somewhere else, or do you want to be immortal here?""

Then you responded:

"That's completely different then using it as a negotiation chip."

Now you're saying it's not completely different, in fact it's exactly the same??????? LOL.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
To recap.

I wrote:

"If I was offering a very good player a contract to be on the team long-term, I'd walk him down, show him the rafters and say "you want to take the money somewhere else, or do you want to be immortal here?""

Then you responded:

"That's completely different then using it as a negotiation chip."

Now you're saying it's not completely different, in fact it's exactly the same??????? LOL.

You're right, I misunderstood your previous comment. However you're reply was to me calling it a negotiation chip and then you saying "why not?" (implying to use it as a chip) followed up by pointing to the rafters and saying yada yada yada. There is a HUGE difference between telling a player you'll retire their number if they take a hometown discount vs what you have bolded. What you have bolded I'm sure it done all the time and is a tactic. No team is ever going to tell a player that they'll retire their number if they take a hometown discount.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You're right, I misunderstood your previous comment. However you're reply was to me calling it a negotiation chip and then you saying "why not?" (implying to use it as a chip) followed up by pointing to the rafters and saying yada yada yada. There is a HUGE difference between telling a player you'll retire their number if they take a hometown discount vs what you have bolded. What you have bolded I'm sure it done all the time and is a tactic. No team is ever going to tell a player that they'll retire their number if they take a hometown discount.

Again, you're arguing against yourself here. I never said any of those things, you did and tried to put those words in my mouth and build a strawman.

I think what alot of people don't understand is that hockey is a business. Sentimentality and Santa Clause are for children. If Torey Krug will take a discount on the real or implied belief that he can get his name in the rafters then you'd be an utter infant to think that something about retiring numbers is too sacred.

Who cares? Put them all up there if they'll take a discount. Retire the number of every guy who plays 1000 games. Retire every number there is. In 100 years, un-retire them and start over. You think someone isn't going to buy a ticket because Krejci's #46 is retired?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Again, you're arguing against yourself here. I never said any of those things, you did and tried to put those words in my mouth and build a strawman.

I think what alot of people don't understand is that hockey is a business. Sentimentality and Santa Clause are for children. If Torey Krug will take a discount on the real or implied belief that he can get his name in the rafters then you'd be an utter infant to think that something about retiring numbers is too sacred.

Who cares? Put them all up there if they'll take a discount. Retire the number of every guy who plays 1000 games. Retire every number there is. In 100 years, un-retire them and start over. You think someone isn't going to buy a ticket because Krejci's #46 is retired?

We'll agree to disagree because were not on the same page in the discussion and at this point its clear we have a difference of opinion on why a players number should be retired. You clearly value it significantly less than I do and that's fine.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The Bruins ( mainly because of Harry Sinden ) simply do not honor former goalies.

There are at least three goalies in Bruins history who SHOULD be honored before Tim Thomas

Tiny Thompson - Cup winner 1929

Tiny-Thompson-Boston-Bruins-featured.jpg

Frank Brimsek - Cup Winner 1939, 1941

U3ZnMfAVgzWjtZft3M1JEX0w8vdO5Ojn44GnxD6QEhPH2gjGEqYVYxjim9AGLDILZtmy7yAYjWRfxX4XI0aQfn64GzGv0aA0z_JkhnMkQFaLwfXCQeejHP5W0jqxTH9-9giYMajPFglhIlAV4jCnwnVX0g

Gerry Cheevers - Cup winner 1970, 1972

cheevers-jpg1.jpg

Agree on 1 and 2.

I think Cheevers was good, but I don’t think he was great. I have him in the same category as Thomas, worthy of being honored, but not having their numbers retired. When you look at his stats and compare them to his peers in the 60’s and 70’s, he isn’t in the Top 10 in any category. The two Cups are more a statement about what a powerhouse those early 70’s teams were imo than were than reflective of how good Cheevers was.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Until Rask wins THE CUP, it's a no.

All time for the B’s (more than 100gp), Rask is:

1st in wins
1st in Save %
1st in games played
1st in minutes played
1st in points (lol)
2nd in GAA (Thompson 1st)
2nd in SO (Thompson 1st)

If there is a modern era goalie on the Bruins that deserves his number hung, it’s Rask, not Thomas or Cheevers, Cup or not. A Cup would seal the deal, even though he was more than good enough in 2013 and 2019.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

1st in wins
1st in Save %
1st in games played
1st in minutes played
1st in points (lol)
2nd in SO (Thompson 1st)

If there is a modern era goalie on the Bruins that deserves his number hung, it’s Rask, not Thomas or Cheevers, Cup or not. A Cup would seal the deal, even though he was more than good enough in 2013 and 2019.
Doesn't he have the best sv% in NHL history for goalies who played over a certain number of minutes?

And if we had anywhere near fair officiating in the finals or if Marchand doesn't make that moronic line change, Rask wins the Conn Smythe unanimously. He absolutely dominated the playoffs.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

1st in wins
1st in Save %
1st in games played
1st in minutes played
1st in points (lol)
2nd in SO (Thompson 1st)

He also owns, or will own this season, basically all of those records for postseason as well

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Do you seriously think any player would take less money for the chance to get their Jersey retired?

See you're own comment about hockey being a business.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would say no. The only locks right now are Bergeron and Chara. Marchand is not a lock but is probably the closest to Bergeron and Chara. He will need to continue producing like he has.

Rask definitely has a chance but he needs to win a Cup as a starter.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Bruins ( mainly because of Harry Sinden ) simply do not honor former goalies.

There are at least three goalies in Bruins history who SHOULD be honored before Tim Thomas

Tiny Thompson - Cup winner 1929

Tiny-Thompson-Boston-Bruins-featured.jpg

Frank Brimsek - Cup Winner 1939, 1941

U3ZnMfAVgzWjtZft3M1JEX0w8vdO5Ojn44GnxD6QEhPH2gjGEqYVYxjim9AGLDILZtmy7yAYjWRfxX4XI0aQfn64GzGv0aA0z_JkhnMkQFaLwfXCQeejHP5W0jqxTH9-9giYMajPFglhIlAV4jCnwnVX0g

Gerry Cheevers - Cup winner 1970, 1972

cheevers-jpg1.jpg

Brimsek and especially Thompson seem like no-brainers for retirement for me. Obviously I never saw either play but their stats and career records are phenomenal and their greatness confirmed by those who played in or remember those times.

As both conveniently wore #1, perhaps, when such things are possible again, the Bruins could right past oversights and one night do a double number retirement ceremony of the 1 for both players. Get some descendants involved and it could be a great occasion. For a team that has put a premium on defensive strength for so much of its history, it seems well overdue to have a goalie or two represented amongst the immortals in the rafters.

Reactions: missingchicklet

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
No.

If Brimsek; Thompson; and Cheevers were up there, retiring Thomas’s number could be considered.

But none of them are, so it’s a hard “NO” on Thomas for me. I love him to death, and will be forever grateful, but if we’re going to retire a goaltender’s number, Thomas should be fourth in line AT BEST.

And while we’re talking about retired numbers, Chara’s 33 and Bergeron’s 37 should also be retired one day. Aside from the goaltenders, I think those two are the only deserving Bruins not already up there.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Tim Thomas was arguably the greatest goaltender of all time for the 2011 season. You could certainly make an argument for it, but the excellence was not sustained for his entire Bruins career which gives me pause, for that I do not think he should be retired

I agree with most of you that Chara and Marchand are absolute no brainers.

Marchand and Krejci are possibilities, Krejci being one of the most underrated players arguably in the history of the organization. Marchand has become an absolute superstar, but he’s not quite there IMO

also it’s very early, but if his early career is any indication; Pastrnak might become one of the most prolific offensive talents in Bruins history

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

1st in wins
1st in Save %
1st in games played
1st in minutes played
1st in points (lol)
2nd in SO (Thompson 1st)

All great points... the extended training camp his not why they play hockey. The ultimate goal is the illusive cup. to me it's about what you do when it matters the most. 2 strikes up till now in cup finals. That G7 was his to lose, We lost as a team, but it was his to lose and he did.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Brimsek and especially Thompson seem like no-brainers for retirement for me. Obviously I never saw either play but their stats and career records are phenomenal and their greatness confirmed by those who played in or remember those times.

As both conveniently wore #1, perhaps, when such things are possible again, the Bruins could right past oversights and one night do a double number retirement ceremony of the 1 for both players. Get some descendants involved and it could be a great occasion. For a team that has put a premium on defensive strength for so much of its history, it seems well overdue to have a goalie or two represented amongst the immortals in the rafters.

I think it has something to do with not taking #1 out of circulation. Brimsek took #1 when he replaced Thompson. Sinden was probably annoyed he couldn't give out Hitchman's #3 (whos not even in the Bruins HOF.) He tried to give Clapper's #5 to a dirty Hab and Bobby Orr had to intervene.

I don't think you retire guys this long after they played.

Honestly I wish Rask had gotten the nod in 2012 because if we don't win the Cup we keep both. There was already drama with TT so who cares if there is a little more. And remember Timmy wanted to stay with the Bruins and compete with Rask he had zero desire to be traded elsewhere so you could have had both for another year and maybe Thomas goes year to year at his age after 2013. Feel like we'd have won another Cup somewhere.

But Rask got hurt when the door opened up for him to maybe be playoff starter over Timmy and damned Marty Turco had to get a few starts.

Wonder when we'll get another goalie that wears #1 only Turco has worn it since Raycroft.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Do you seriously think any player would take less money for the chance to get their Jersey retired?

See you're own comment about hockey being a business.

Yes they would, 100%. Players take discounts all the time and they see those banners every day.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Not too many players I enjoyed watching play more than Timmy. Love the guy. Peak Timmy and Hasek were both something incredibly special when it comes to goalies that I admire a lot. I don't see how he should get his number retired, though. Tiny Thompson 100% deserves to have his number retired before any other Boston goalie. Timmy was a huge reason the Bs won a Cup, but he just didn't have enough seasons of elite play to justify having his number retired. Number retirement needs to remain something very elite. I agree with others that Bergy and Chara for sure will be in the rafters one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad