Should Rick Nash jerseys be "Taboo" inside Nationwide Arena?

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
There's a few players whose behavior has made their name mud with several Blue Jackets fans. Adam Foote and Jeff Carter probably the most famous. As such, you will pretty much never see anybody representing a #52 Foote or a #7 Carter anymore.

Now we turn to the former golden boy Rick Nash. He tried to paint himself as the "good guy" on his way out with his whole song and dance of "trade me, Scott. You could get great guys for me. I'm just trying to help everybody out here".

Rick Nash put up great numbers and entertained a lot of us for years. Ultimately, he signed a long term deal to stay here and decided he wanted out very quickly into that long term contract.

Is this an act of betrayal that should make his jersey taboo inside Nationwide arena? Even if it's not that bad, did he forever shed his image of Mr. Blue Jacket by abandoning the ship?

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
No I see nothing wrong with wearing his jersey, but I do agree that there is a small stain on the time he spent here.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
IMO, Nash did more for hockey in Cbus than anyone other than Mr. Mac.

I harbor no hard feelings. The jerseys certainly don't offend me. Now, a Carter or Foote jersey would.

For me, it's just different.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Until I hear a compelling reason to believe things were ugly and not just Nash vs. Howson, I won't feel any more uncomfortable seeing a Nash jersey than I would a F.A.N.S. t-shirt. I won't wear one, but I've just kind of moved on.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Personally I don't think his posturing/behavior was as egregious as the other two. While he certainly wasn't the choir boy many would paint him to be, at the same time him did a lot for the Blue Jackets and a great deal in the community. So as far as I'm concerned he gets a pass.

He's gone, we're going "North as JD likes to say. If any one wants to wear a Nash jersey that their choice and wouldn't get any flack from me.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
IMO, Nash did more for hockey in Cbus than anyone other than Mr. Mac.

I harbor no hard feelings. The jerseys certainly don't offend me. Now, a Carter or Foote jersey would.

For me, it's just different.

Yep, in addition to all Rick did for the city outside of the spotlight, he's a good guy who needed a change of scenery, not some villain escaping in the night on a car powered by the tears of Jackets fans.

redsfanhere*

Jun 9, 2011
Rick Nash happens to be one of the embassadors of ohio sports in my eyes just can't see anybody else would think differently but thats just 1 mans opinion.the man signed his contract do to the reason he thought it was going to be different to just like the rest of us did.unfortunately for him and us the losing got the best of all of us or i truly believe he would still be here.i'm personally hoping someday we start winning and we can revisit him being here.i personally wish rick all the best because you never know he might be a key componet to our cup run someday.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Why would anyone take offense or think this were taboo in the first place? The guy was a class act around the city all the way, and simply wanted a chance to win, figuring (correctly) that his departure may in fact help the team more than his staying would.

I would actually welcome the jerseys, if it were me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Frankly, I'm still harboring hopes that if the rebuild works and we become a Cup contender (or even winner) that he'll come back here after his current contract ends on a "one last run with the folks who drafted me" type deal.

I don't find it offensive at all. It does occasionally depress me... but after ten years, he's allowed.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Frankly, I'm still harboring hopes that if the rebuild works and we become a Cup contender (or even winner) that he'll come back here after his current contract ends on a "one last run with the folks who drafted me" type deal.

I don't find it offensive at all. It does occasionally depress me... but after ten years, he's allowed.

Me too.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Why would anyone take offense or think this were taboo in the first place? The guy was a class act around the city all the way, and simply wanted a chance to win, figuring (correctly) that his departure may in fact help the team more than his staying would.

I would actually welcome the jerseys, if it were me.

The jerseys will disappear soon enough when this franchise develops another star to replace him. Until then, he will remain the best known player of the Jackets and someone that brought some great memories to the fans. Keep wearing them.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
There's a few players whose behavior has made their name mud with several Blue Jackets fans. Adam Foote and Jeff Carter probably the most famous. As such, you will pretty much never see anybody representing a #52 Foote or a #7 Carter anymore.

i guess i'll stick out in my #7 tomorrow :laugh:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Until I hear a compelling reason to believe things were ugly and not just Nash vs. Howson, I won't feel any more uncomfortable seeing a Nash jersey than I would a F.A.N.S. t-shirt. I won't wear one, but I've just kind of moved on.

This raises an excellent point. and makes me ask a question for you all.

Say Scott Howson is fired in July 2011. The 2011-12 season still goes as badly under the new GM as it did under Howson and Nash still requests out in January.

Does the changing of the "Nash v. Howson" angle to Nash "not wanting to be part of the rebuild" change your opinions of him? Is their some real vitriol among Jackets fans or is it still the same "can't blame him for leaving" feeling?

MattTheMask

Cbus for life!
Mar 11, 2009
Columbus
www.jacketsfans.com
I don't mind seeing Nash jerseys. They don't fall in the same category as Foote or Carter.

And I agree with the other posters, once a true, household, name star is wearing union blue again the Nash jerseys will begin to fade away

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
This raises an excellent point. and makes me ask a question for you all.

Say Scott Howson is fired in July 2011. The 2011-12 season still goes as badly under the new GM as it did under Howson and Nash still requests out in January.

Does the changing of the "Nash v. Howson" angle to Nash "not wanting to be part of the rebuild" change your opinions of him? Is their some real vitriol among Jackets fans or is it still the same "can't blame him for leaving" feeling?

Not for me. I get his choice as a player in his prime (with the franchise still in shambles despite repeated attempts to right the ship) ... I don't blame him.

I still appreciate his contributions to bringing a good deal of interest to the area for the NHL, and for his community work. I LOVED watching him play. He was the best caliber player we had, and say what you want, provided many many memorable moments at NWA for this fan. I harbor no ill will and hope he does well in NY and someday returns to the CBJ.

Maybe, the trade did what all professed it would do. Maybe we needed the pieces he brought in the trade to really make a fresh start. I say let it all go in grace.

I just don't get the comparisons to Foote and that ******* Carter. AT ALL.

jktsfan*

I don't see a problem with it. Better a Nash jersey than an OSU shirt.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
It's not nearly the same category as Foote or Carter, but I still wouldn't wear a Nash jersey. I can't decide if I want him to do well in NY or not, though I know I like seeing them lose a little bit more than I used to.

I don't feel rabidly anti-Nash, but he's not on any pedestal for me. The Nash v. Howson thing doesn't mean much to me. Asking out of a contract, then restricting options to a small number of teams bothers me, though.

Maybe someday I'll understand why so many people in here hate OSU.

edit: To answer the question though, no I don't think Nash jerseys should be taboo

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
What I posted was not due to OSU hate, but due to the stupid act of a Blue Jackets fan wearing a Red shirt or hat to a Red Wings game.

I could never understand wearing red OSU gear to a home game against the
wings. I just always chocked it up to ignorance.

Last edited:

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
There are three on my no wear list. Foote, Sydor, Carter. Nash gave it ten years. He was more of the solution than the problem.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad