Should Play-in stats count as regular season stats or playoff stats?

How would you like the play-in series statistics to be recorded?

• Total voters

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Should not count towards regular season stats when considering awards. If ovechkin or pastrnak score two more goals during the extra games, it should count as a 50 goal season. Same goes to mcdavid, 100 point season if he scores 3 more points during play-ins.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd ideally like all players get to play more "regular season" games, but since 7 teams won't get to, I'd count these as playoff stats. You can't just create a new category of stats (practically, everyone would ignore them), and it's silly to pretend that the stats didn't happen at all. These are still "playoff" series so might as well count them as such.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Should not count towards regular season stats when considering awards. If ovechkin or pastrnak score two more goals during the extra games, it should count as a 50 goal season. Same goes to mcdavid, 100 point season if he scores 3 more points during play-ins.

:laugh: So you could then say "Ovechkin finished with 48 goals, marking his 9th '50-goal' season"?

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
A best of 5 series where the winner moves on to the next round and the loser gets eliminated?

hmmmmm kinda sounds a little like “playoffs” if ya ask me

How on earth can it be considered “regular season” ??? There’s nothing “regular” about it.

It’s a unique format, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s still a playoff.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
They should not be counted for anything.

...why do people keep saying this?

Why shouldn’t they count? Are the players not still performing and playing in a professional hockey league to determine a champion? Is it no longer real??

Look, I get that it’s a unique format/setup with some VERY odd aspects(such as there being no fans in attendance)....but ffs it’s not like they aren’t still playing hockey. Same teams same players same skill sets(maybe some rust to shake off, but also many players returning that had extra time to recover from injury, such as de Haan on the Blackhawks). Many variables to take into account but not counting the stats at all is ridiculous.

Reactions: wetcoast

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Count them as regular season stats but for awards sake don't count them at all. I mean the players are playing the games so they are their stats but to make fair for everyone they should not be counted for awards. They definitely should not be counted towards playoffs though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Playoff stats, its not called playoff games but they are. They arent regular season thats for sure.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
...why do people keep saying this?

Why shouldn’t they count? Are the players not still performing and playing in a professional hockey league to determine a champion? Is it no longer real??

Look, I get that it’s a unique format/setup with some VERY odd aspects(such as there being no fans in attendance)....but ffs it’s not like they aren’t still playing hockey. Same teams same players same skill sets(maybe some rust to shake off, but also many players returning that had extra time to recover from injury, such as de Haan on the Blackhawks). Many variables to take into account but not counting the stats at all is ridiculous.
How on earth can they be given any legitimate statistical weight considering the arbitrary and inconsistent manner of the "play in" round. It should count as preseason points or nothing.

These are exhibition games, do not be fooled. Specifically seeds 1-4. Very artificial meaning in those.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

pretty much this as the regular season is over and there is no way that the stats shouldn't count, that's just silly.

NHL might call it a "playin" but it's a playoff round plain and simple.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They probably shouldn't count as anything. The players shouldn't even care about the point totals, only trying to grab those three wins so their team can move on in the playoffs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Well let me see...if you win the round you get to continue playing for the chance to win the Stanley Cup.

If you lose your season is over and you go home.

They can call it what they want to but it’s the f***ing playoffs.

Reactions: SimpleJack

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Count them as preseason stats.

I was trying to think of an answer because it's a good question from the OP and I think you hit the nail on the head. So basically don't count them towards anything because they aren't playoff points and the regular season is technically over now.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
IMO the play-in round is contrived, unnecessary and dumb.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, it's still a playoff series. Artificial and uneven? Of course. But it's round-1 on the playoff org chart, therefore it counts as part of the playoffs.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
It would be nice if they counted but don’t think they will be. OV would get another 50 goal season. Matthews and Pastrnak would hit the 50 goal milestone. McDavid would continue his streak of 100+ point seasons. MacKinnon crack 100+ points for the first time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Count them as regular season stats but for awards sake don't count them at all. I mean the players are playing the games so they are their stats but to make fair for everyone they should not be counted for awards. They definitely should not be counted towards playoffs though.

Wait count them as regualr season but dont count them for awards?

Then dont count them for the playoffs?

One thing we can all agree on is that the NHL won't count on this advice.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
How on earth can they be given any legitimate statistical weight considering the arbitrary and inconsistent manner of the "play in" round. It should count as preseason points or nothing.

These are exhibition games, do not be fooled. Specifically seeds 1-4. Very artificial meaning in those.

lol...

Exhibition games? The f***ing championship is on the line...

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Well let me see...if you win the round you get to continue playing for the chance to win the Stanley Cup.

If you lose your season is over and you go home.

They can call it what they want to but it’s the f***ing playoffs.
Exactly!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad