Should Play-in stats count as regular season stats or playoff stats?

How would you like the play-in series statistics to be recorded?

• Total voters

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
When considering the career statistics of NHL players, do you as a fan prefer the "play-in" series statistics to count as regular season stats or playoff stats for your players? Or do you prefer them not to count at all?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Worst thing that can happen if you count as playoffs: Someone scores more than 19 playoff goals, breaks the record for most in a single run. Who cares? There'll be an asterisk here as it's in 5 rounds vs 4 rounds (similarly, when NHL went from 2 to 4 rounds, no one started comparing raw stats of the 4 round era to 2 round era, right?). So no real harm. Will be an amazing performance, and people will be smart enough to recognize 5 vs 4 rounds.

But regular season....i don't think that's fair, because not everyone gets a chance to finish regular season.

Who wins the Rocket? Ovi, Pastrnak or Matthews? Matthews may have 7 games as a 'play-in' and score a bunch of goals. How many games will Pastrnak and Ovi have in round robin, 2-3? You could similarly put up an asterisk on a season, but putting an asterisk on a whole season when it was ~90% done seems like a shame.

Also - 'not counting at all' is dumb. These will be highly competitive situations - I think they should count. So - playoffs.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd say they don't count. Don't want to give an advantage for a major award and don't want to let the playoff record be broken unfairly.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
As a fan I’d prefer them to count as regular season stats.

Would be really boring from a fan perspective if they didn’t count as either regular season stats or playoff stats.

I read one opinion talking about the eliminated teams not being able to have extra games being used against those players in contract negotiations/stats races, which is easily negated by the NHL mandating that only the stats we currently have today (for season stats races etc) can be used in contract negotiations for the eliminated teams.

Reactions: djboos22

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I want regular season just so McDavid doesn't miss his 100 point season due to the league shutting the season down early. But it should probably not count for anything since its not really regular season and it will cause a weird skew in points for playoff stats

Reactions: djboos22

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Also - 'not counting at all' is dumb. These will be highly competitive situations - I think they should count.

Agreed, which is why I chose regular season stats. Really boring and deflating if these stats didn’t count for a player’s career totals, but at the same time I don’t want to see someone break Leach or Gretzky’s playoff records because of 5 rounds of “playoffs” played.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Either regular season or not at all. I think not at all would be a bit unfair though. Either way, stats for this season will be a bit weird.

Not at all is probably the most fair option though, these games affecting regular season awards is a good point.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
It's not the regular season, so they wouldn't count as such. Explain to me how it makes sense that Ovechkin and Pasta could lose their share of the Rocket to Matthews or Draisatl because Toronto/Edmonton can theoretically have 5 extra games to run up the stat sheet?

Plus, in order to start this tournament, I'd imagine the NHL will formally declare the end of the regular season as of March 11th

Probably count them as playoff if anything. NFL counts their play-in game stats as playoff spots.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's not the regular season, so they wouldn't count as such. Explain to me how it makes sense that Ovechkin and Pasta could lose their share of the Rocket to Matthews or Draisatl because Toronto/Edmonton can theoretically have 5 extra games to run up the stat sheet?

Plus, in order to start this tournament, I'd imagine the NHL will formally declare the end of the regular season as of March 11th

Probably count them as playoff if anything. NFL counts their play-in game stats as playoff spots.
Yeah, changing the Regular Season awards with these games would be just as dumb as potentially affecting the post-season records with a one-off extra round.

In the NFL and MLB when the playoffs were expanded, the changes were permanent, similar to when leagues make the regular season longer, meaning players will accumulate more stats. We can view the records in that era context. With the NFL going to 17 games, pretty much all single-season records will be broken in the near future.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Ovechkin/Pasta would have their own round-robin games (for seeding) to compensate for the best of 5 Drai/Matthews get to play.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think they should count as stats for the play in only, not regular season or playoffs. These initial games are not the playoffs, it is to decide who makes the playoffs. I think they should be kept as separate stats similar to a players career international or All-Star game stats.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Play-ins are do or die - it should absolutely count for conn smythe consideration. As much as round 1 of playoffs normally does of course. The stat counting was the more controversial one - though I prefer it this way too, playoff stats.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If they are regular season, then the Rocket has NOT been settled.
If playoffs, round 0, and the round robin should be treated as such, some teams may play 1 or 2 more games,
but that always happens anyways.

It would be weird for this one season, to have an extra column of stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad