Should Peter DeBoer be on the hot seat?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This was one of our best rosters in years and we're about to get bounced out of the first round. I get that we've been banged up and the players are the ones on the ice, but Pete and the staff should've gotten more out of this team. If they limp out of the playoffs they should clean house: special teams coaches, goaltending coaches, etc.
Something is really off on the goaltending or defensive structure. Odd that both goalies are having bad years.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

member 298589

You say hot seat, I say back of garbage truck.

Tomato, tomato.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he'll be one of those coaches who will make it to the end of the season, that or he gets fired mid-season if the Sharks turn out to be THAT bad, and are desperate to turn the ship. But don't know who they replace him with. But if I were to make a guess, I imagine that Maurice becomes their head coach if Winnipeg fires him (fingers crossed Winnipeg gets rid of him), that or Seattle because of his connection to Francis and Co.

But I do imagine he joins the hot seat with Maurice, Boudreau, and Hynes. Would say Torts, but I can almost bet Columbus is going to keep him for a long... time. All but Hynes find jobs.

I imagine after Hynes is fired, Boudreau takes over as the Devils head coach after Minnesota fires him.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
They have the worst goaltending duo in the NHL. I dont think people get how big of a deal that is. Just making the playoffs is extremely impressive with the lowest save % in the NHL. San Jose had .889 team save % this season.....

Next team to make the playoffs was Calgary with the 11th worst goaltending save %. So no team between 2nd-10th worst goaltending made the playoffs and Jones has been even worse in the playoffs. You dont win anything with goaltending that bad...

This isn't on the goalies, I'm sorry. They are not playing structured defense. Hasek and Roy would look pedestrian behind that defense. Their D-men are chasing the play and their forwards aren't supporting them. Lazy play all around. Watch the game vs Boston from earlier in the week. The final score was 5-1.... That game wasn't as close as the score would indicate, and that is not a good thing.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I think he'll be one of those coaches who will make it to the end of the season, that or he gets fired mid-season if the Sharks turn out to be THAT bad, and are desperate to turn the ship. But don't know who they replace him with. But if I were to make a guess, I imagine that Maurice becomes their head coach if Winnipeg fires him (fingers crossed Winnipeg gets rid of him), that or Seattle because of his connection to Francis and Co.

But I do imagine he joins the hot seat with Maurice, Boudreau, and Hynes. Would say Torts, but I can almost bet Columbus is going to keep him for a long... time. All but Hynes find jobs.

I imagine after Hynes is fired, Boudreau takes over as the Devils head coach after Minnesota fires him.
Maurice isn't getting fired lol

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You don't see ownership making a season saving move?
Wilson and Sharks ownership have a great relationship. Almost to the point where DW has been there for to long, but he’s protected. There’s a reason why he wasn’t gone when the ‘09 and ‘14 collapsed happened. In fact I remember a letter from Sharks management being put out there basically saying that they have faith in Doug Wilson and how he’s handling the organization, while coaches and players take the blame.

He’s not a great GM. He’s made a career off the Thornton trade, and everyone thought he made a similar one with EK, but ultimately its back fired on him. He should have been gone a long time ago. He’s to conservative, doesn’t make the right moves, doesn’t always make the smart moves, holds on to players for way to long, and always had a knack giving journeymen a home.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
You don't see ownership making a season saving move?

I really have no idea. This is uncharted territory for this team and especially the owner who only took control of the team less than a decade ago.

This team has never been nearly this bad off under his ownership, so I have no idea if he is the type who pays a lot of attention, and will pull the trigger on something like that. Or if it will take an absolute catastrophic few years under DW to get the owners attention and ire.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Wilson and Sharks ownership have a great relationship. Almost to the point where DW has been there for to long, but he’s protected. There’s a reason why he wasn’t gone when the ‘09 and ‘14 collapsed happened. In fact I remember a letter from Sharks management being put out there basically saying that they have faith in Doug Wilson and how he’s handling the organization, while coaches and players take the blame.

He’s not a great GM. He’s made a career off the Thornton trade, and everyone thought he made a similar one with EK, but ultimately its back fired on him. He should have been gone a long time ago. He’s to conservative, doesn’t make the right moves, doesn’t always make the smart moves, holds on to players for way to long, and always had a knack giving journeymen a home.

My biggest problem with him is the lack of vision. He is always following trends, never setting them.

Even this year, what do we hear from our announcers, and coach, and players? "We are too soft, gotta be harder to play against" gee I wonder why they think that after getting knocked out of the playoffs by a team that was highly physical. In years past we would hear stuff like "just take the hit to make the play, don't get sucked into all that physical stuff and just play your game" when we were trying to play fast like Pitt, or be a possession juggernaut like LA, yada yada

DW if he continues being the GM needs to find a vision and actually attain it. No more retools, he has to actually build a team up from the core out that fits whatever that vision is, and go full bore for it. Right now our team has no vision, no cohesion, no identity, and its showing in their play.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The coach is always the easiest target because he's the easiest to replace. I actually place the blame on Wilson here. Not for going out and acquiring Karlsson, but by resigning him to such a ridiculous deal after Karlsson clearly showed signs of regression. Investing so much into a 3rd aging Dman after already having a good chunk invested in 2 is something he should be held accountable for. SJ is in big trouble moving forward.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The coach is always the easiest target because he's the easiest to replace. I actually place the blame on Wilson here. Not for going out and acquiring Karlsson, but by resigning him to such a ridiculous deal after Karlsson clearly showed signs of regression. Investing so much into a 3rd aging Dman after already having a good chunk invested in 2 is something he should be held accountable for. SJ is in big trouble moving forward.

I place a lot of blame on the coach, because the systems and strategies do not suit the team or the roster. The entire offensive zone system revolves around a small cycle before sending it to the D. It was designed for Burns and Pavelski. It doesn't suit the rest of the team and yet they have persisted with this strategy.

For the breakout, the forwards all leave the zone and let the D be dominated by a forecheck forcing them to flip it out of the zone or attempt a stretch pass. This is why they are seeing a lot of turnovers. There is rarely low support from a forward to provide help for the breakout and to create speed through the neutral zone.

Wilson made a career on rarely giving out the big contracts. He would never go past 5-6 years. In the last couple of years we've seen 7-8 year deals to Couture, Kane, Burns, Vlasic, and Karlsson. That's way too many.

Like most things in life, it's not one or the other. Wilson has made some questionable decisions, but the key problem with this team is PDB.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

The Burns trade turned out to be a steal.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sharks have to make some changes if not now then soon . Fire the coach , call up a goalie and waive Dell , make a trade . Something that might have the chance to wake the team up. Not sure it will save the season but the way they're going they need to do something.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
The Burns trade turned out to be a steal.
That’s true. But again it was another trade that he stacked his reputation on for years and years. Between his big trades, he does little to nothing in between to set up the sharks better. He simply likes to remain optimistic and doesn’t feel the need to finely tune the rosters. Big moves only, but even then his big moves are far and few.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sure. But I think the greater problem is the roster. Doesn't mean he shouldn't get the axe though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad