Should Peter DeBoer be on the hot seat?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Because a bad Sharks team is good for the league.
giphy.gif

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
My biggest problem with him is the lack of vision. He is always following trends, never setting them.

Even this year, what do we hear from our announcers, and coach, and players? "We are too soft, gotta be harder to play against" gee I wonder why they think that after getting knocked out of the playoffs by a team that was highly physical. In years past we would hear stuff like "just take the hit to make the play, don't get sucked into all that physical stuff and just play your game" when we were trying to play fast like Pitt, or be a possession juggernaut like LA, yada yada

DW if he continues being the GM needs to find a vision and actually attain it. No more retools, he has to actually build a team up from the core out that fits whatever that vision is, and go full bore for it. Right now our team has no vision, no cohesion, no identity, and its showing in their play.
All of this. He says what he thinks people want to hear and what he thinks is the new “it” factor that a team needs to win. Yet when it comes down to it, he doesn’t know what a championship winning team needs, only what he feels fits his agenda. “We need to be physical”, gets maybe 1-2 guys who could throw their weight around but not compliment the team in a winning sense. “We need more speed”, he then gets some speedy bottom six guy who is only good for speed, and can’t contribute anything else, all playing turning a blind eye to our goaltending, our defensive depth, and our overall offense that lacks some serious shooting and goal scoring.

I don’t even know if DW ever had a vision or plan. I feel like he’s always gone year on and year out looking for more excuses as to why he doesn’t need to retool or re-structure. He gets everyone excited over 1-2 big deals, and everyone forgets all the little things he decides not to do, but are required. I legitimately think he thinks he’s had the “perfect” team to win a cup by now, and just sits there shrugging thinking, “what do you want me to do? I did everything I could, you should have won already right?”

Reactions: Dicdonya

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Pete is a very overrated coach. You have to hand him a finished roster to have any hop of success and even then can’t get the team over the hump

The Devils missed the playoffs before DeBoer took over, and he immediately took them to the Stanley Cup Finals. More success didn't follow as you know, but it's not that good of a roster that he inherited either. And after Kovalchuk decided he'd rather play in Russia there was nothing they could do to adequately replace him, it was not on the coach.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
The Devils missed the playoffs before DeBoer took over, and he immediately took them to the Stanley Cup Finals. More success didn't follow as you know, but it's not that good of a roster that he inherited either. And after Kovalchuk decided he'd rather play in Russia there was nothing they could do to adequately replace him, it was not on the coach.

How about the use between Schneider and Broudeur 2013-14 season? Arguably if he played Schneider in more games (particularly against division rivals) they would have made the playoffs.

PDB had a roster last season that could have won the cup. Instead he handcuffed the team with a strategy designed for two players.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How about the use between Schneider and Broudeur 2013-14 season? Arguably if he played Schneider in more games (particularly against division rivals) they would have made the playoffs.

Maybe. Brodeur was long past it at that point not unlike Schneider is today, but it would have taken a lot of balls to not to give him at least that 1B role. On the other hand he did win more games than Schneider despite his sub-par play so it's debatable how costly playing him really was.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That’s true. But again it was another trade that he stacked his reputation on for years and years. Between his big trades, he does little to nothing in between to set up the sharks better. He simply likes to remain optimistic and doesn’t feel the need to finely tune the rosters. Big moves only, but even then his big moves are far and few.
I can agree with that criticism.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I think he’s on the hot seat, and I think he will and should be hired by another team. He’s not the best coach but he’s not bad.

After a certain point, a coach has been there a while, or the players watched the roster wither over the summer and entered the season in a bad state of mind, and or they’re just frustrated and you need a change to get them all back on it.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
Deboer is easily a better coach than McLellan. This guy took the team to the finals on his first year, and the semis last year. And the team was better during most of the McLellan era. They are not playing so hot right now. But they were one of the top teams in the league at the tail end of 2018-19 and had a good cup run.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Deboer is easily a better coach than McLellan. This guy took the team to the finals on his first year, and the semis last year. And the team was better during most of the McLellan era. They are not playing so hot right now. But they were one of the top teams in the league at the tail end of 2018-19 and had a good cup run.

I wouldn't say that. McLellan's second and third years were back to back Conference Finals appearances. So basically, DeBoer was one round better than McLellan. I wouldn't say that his teams were better than DeBoer's either. Those McLellan teams had glaring depth issues as well and questionable goaltending. And the reason why they lost a lot to finish last year, lost in the CF's, and are losing now are on him.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
PDB reached the finals with a NJD roster that wasn't all that impressive whilst McLellean failed miserably in EDM.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
DeBoer is a great hire if you have a vet heavy team that needs a new voice in the room, he’s already gotten two underachieving teams to the finals, he would do well with a team like Tampa if Cooper spits the bit again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad