Should Nonis be fired immediately

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Nonis is a Mickey Mouse GM, that has helped the Leafs become a Mickey Mouse organization.

So I'm going to make a Mickey Mouse post in his (dis)honour :handclap:

Even though Burke was the GM at the time, Nonis still must take some bullets for all the trades for other teams expendable players, which are now the core.
- Glass Lupul, but contract in stone
- Dumb Gardiner, dumb contract to match
- Playing for my big payday Fran$on
- Fat Kessel, fat contract to match
- Ghost Van Riemsdyk
- Loser Phaneuf, but with winner contract

His notable UFA signings (other than the above)
- Mediocre Bozak
- Anchor Clarkson
- Washed up Robidas
- Good depth Komarov
- HO HO HO Santa-relli
- Dime a Dozen Winnik

His notable trades are
- Bandaid Bolland
- Help Now Holland
- Right Handed Shot Polak
- Warm Body O'Byrne
- Buyout on the Books Gleason
- Blind Squirrel finds the nut Bernier

Key Players on the roster drafted/developed in his time with the Leafs (started Dec 4 2008)
Inconsistent Kadri
Raw Rielly
18 Wheeler Reimer

Its unknown how much of a say that Nonis had in each and every player I listed but it should be very clear he is an extremely poor evaluator of talent on both a team and individual level. From that alone he should have no business as a GM even on NHL 15.

Fire Immediately, don't let the door hit you on the way out Dave. Please apply for a job in the Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, or Boston Bruins front office.

Why in the H E double hockey sticks is mickey mouse used as an insult? The mouse is a well oiled machine that does nothing but print money and loads of it on top of running near as seamlessly as one could want for having tens of thousands of visitors per day through its disparate parks and other properties. I'll never understand it. That mouse has laws changed on a regular basis so that more and more money can be made.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm actually pretty disappointed with leaf fans. Thainer21 and a few others I have talked too, while we might not all agree on everything, all at least understand that putting the blame on two players makes very little sense.

We can also see the impatience most fans have, as they have already turned on a 24 year old Gardiner, and recently Kadri, who are both still young and having growing pains, just like the next bunch of kids will have.

I am disappointed leaf fans have sunk to a level where I go on the teams board and I feel like I am reading the sens or jets board after we blow them out 10-0.

If you don't like the team anymore move on, stop making the rest of us miserable. Shipping out a star winger entering his prime and a top pairing dman for garbage to make yourself feel better about the things you've made up about these players won't fix anything.

You'll watch Kessel light up other teams 2nd pairings like Kane does, and watch Phaneuf return to form with a true #1 on his team to play the harder minutes and let Phaneuf do his thing, and then like a hypocrite blame the management for shipping out our players for scrapes.

I'm reading the thread.
and reading your post

and what you wrote
doesn't correlate with what the thread is about.

however - to address your post.

I would hope that whomever the new GM is doesn't make his business decisions based on "Oh, if I move player X away, what happens if he lights up my team or other teams's #2 pairings, etc." because then I wouldn't want that person to be the general manager. I would want him to make the best decisions that make the Toronto Maple Leafs better.

And quite frankly, it gets a little frustrating when people go. "Oh well. THIS Player doesn't, or THAT Player has help, so this is why [Insert Leafs Player] should be absolved from being critiqued, not liked (or hated - baring in mind that just because player X is on the team doesnt necessarily mean that people like said player) or rather, wanted off said team).

Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf, by your own admission are in their prime.
Therefore. for this team to do anything they have to either

A: trade for prime players - which requires us to sacrifice our future, because the price will start with Rielly, Nylander and our first

or

B: remove them from the team and rebuild it.

that is it. That is where we have come to. It doesn't help that Dion Phaneuf when this team starts to go down the crapper, his play tends to go down with it. it directly. affects him. You can argue any way you want to. I don't know what "let Phaneuf do his thing." what aren't the Leafs allowing him to do here that he can magically do somewhere else? If He needs a true number one - and we're paying HIM like a true number one, where are we going to FIND DION PHANEUF a #1 to make him play better? It will benefit both parties for him to move.

If Phil Kessel needs a true #1 centre to play better then hopefully we can move him so he can do so, and we can get players that by the time this team is ready, everything is needed.

this team - including Kessel and Dion are not good as constructed.
and this team - including Kessel and Dion are not built to help the team push past that.
and not once has Kessel as elite as he is - showed me during this particular streak like it matters. Dion does, but as I mentioned before, his play seems to just melt.

i don't have to make up anything, to justify what I'm saying, when it's right there on the ice. there is no way, a team this talented, should be this bad. and when a team this talented is this bad, if we have to qualify every single thing with

"but he's young"
"but he doesn't have a centre"
"but he's not slotted properly."

which are true and fair circumstances. but doesn't correlate with

"they don't battle hard for the puck"
"they don't go into the dirty areas"
"they don't have a lot of push back"
"they don't start games on time. ever. "
etc. etc.

then we have a significant problem. which Nonis failed to correct, and which is why he's probably going to be fired. and why Kessel, Dion, (more than likely Jake, and depending on the contract demands more than likely, Kadri will be moved).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For all the roasting Nonis is getting, he signed players that Burke brought in for the most part.

A few examples aside.

The apple doesn't fall from the tree, a chip off the old block.

Nonis is simply following in the shoes of his mentor and his role model was shown the door previously.

Only a matter of time now.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
What are you trying to say here?

Are you saying that you have to have good relationships with other GM's to make a quality hockey trade?

Basically that Nonis thus far has brought nothing to the table that others can't.

Have other teams had any more moves than we have? Are we lagging behind in the amount of transactions?

No. Nonis has been an adequate GM. I am sure amongst GMs that Toronto is seen as a nightmare city to work in because you are never fully in control of your hockey club. Too many cooks in the kitchen

How is continuing to not make the playoffs and continuing to have collapses of epic proportions adequate? He has and can spend to the cap each and every seasons which not all other teams can. Not only that, but he has had buyouts that he has used to get out of poor contracts and hasn't done any good with that cap space due to inadequacy. Gleason. Komisarek. Grabovski. Although not certain, I don't believe any other team has done the number of buy outs that we have and we are no better off now than we were before. He continues to try and improve the team and it has gotten no where.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Basically that Nonis thus far has brought nothing to the table that others can't.

How is continuing to not make the playoffs and continuing to have collapses of epic proportions adequate? He has and can spend to the cap each and every seasons which not all other teams can. Not only that, but he has had buyouts that he has used to get out of poor contracts and hasn't done any good with that cap space due to inadequacy. Gleason. Komisarek. Grabovski. Although not certain, I don't believe any other team has done the number of buy outs that we have and we are no better off now than we were before. He continues to try and improve the team and it has gotten no where.

Devils and Rangers,

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm actually pretty disappointed with leaf fans. Thainer21 and a few others I have talked too, while we might not all agree on everything, all at least understand that putting the blame on two players makes very little sense.

We can also see the impatience most fans have, as they have already turned on a 24 year old Gardiner, and recently Kadri, who are both still young and having growing pains, just like the next bunch of kids will have.

I am disappointed leaf fans have sunk to a level where I go on the teams board and I feel like I am reading the sens or jets board after we blow them out 10-0.

If you don't like the team anymore move on, stop making the rest of us miserable. Shipping out a star winger entering his prime and a top pairing dman for garbage to make yourself feel better about the things you've made up about these players won't fix anything.

You'll watch Kessel light up other teams 2nd pairings like Kane does, and watch Phaneuf return to form with a true #1 on his team to play the harder minutes and let Phaneuf do his thing, and then like a hypocrite blame the management for shipping out our players for scrapes.

There are two kinds of fans that want to trade Phaneuf and Kessel.

There's the Facebook fan type that think those two are terrible, that they have negative value, that they're to blame for our losses, that Phaneuf is #4D, that Kessel is out of shape. Those fans want to get those players off our team because they think they actively bring the Leafs down. Those fans are wrong.

Then there are the fans who are looking toward the future, who see that there's a 9 year difference between Phaneuf and Rielly, between Kessel and Nylander. Those two groups will never be competitive at the same time. That group believes that Phaneuf is getting what he would have got in free agency, that Kessel is a gamebreaker for an already good team, and that by trading them we can set the team up for a cup run in 5 years by getting new core pieces that will peak at the same time as our current young players.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
If Nonis makes some beautiful trades that make our team even better than now, getting us strong winners who will help us in the future, then he might stay with us for next season too. :) :sarcasm: :biglaugh:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If Nonis makes some beautiful trades that make our team even better than now, getting us strong winners who will help us in the future, then he might stay with us for next season too. :) :sarcasm: :biglaugh:
Horachek should be made an MLSE employee for life if he gets us McDavid. Nonis if he pulls off some good moves at the TD can always be booted sideways into some other position at MLSE.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Horachek should be made an MLSE employee for life if he gets us McDavid. Nonis if he pulls off some good moves at the TD can always be booted sideways into some other position at MLSE.

Yep just like Burke was - massaged out the door by creating some bogus internal position for him so he could keep collecting the pay cheque he was due regardless.

I bet they'll give Nonis something similar. They try and treat people the right way.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
That would definitely serve us greatly I'm sure.
Interested to see what happens in the near weeks.. life and NHL is fun. So is the Maple Leafs.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Not really expecting gutted, but Franson, Santo, Winnik, Bozak and maybe even Lupul should all be gone at a minimum.

Then, if some team like Nashville wants to pay top dollar to make a cup run for Phil (or another team for Dion), you do it. It would have to be top dollar though, otherwise there is no rush.

I think the most important thing this season is getting as high as a draft pick as possible. Drafting in the top 5 this season is actually the biggest booster to the rebuild in terms of getting those high end pieces. If we could draft Strome this season the future core already looks half decent with Strome, Nylander and Rielly.

Even all that is crazy at one trade deadline. I would say Franson, Winnick and Santa are good bets to be gone. Maybe Lupul if he stays healthy between now and the deadline. Bozak I would be shocked if he went by TD.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Why in the H E double hockey sticks is mickey mouse used as an insult? The mouse is a well oiled machine that does nothing but print money and loads of it on top of running near as seamlessly as one could want for having tens of thousands of visitors per day through its disparate parks and other properties. I'll never understand it. That mouse has laws changed on a regular basis so that more and more money can be made.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Remember Mickey is a cartoon character, meant to be funny, meant to be "joke".

Its the perfect comparison to Nonis for his laughable decisions as GM, and also the Leafs because they are a "joke" of an organization whilst also rolling in the dough.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
0/10 for originality and creativity

-4 /10 for effort.

That was more pathetic than a JvR back check.

He could have at least said it like Borat.

I make joke! Name laak donuts. Laak beeg fat man. You laak?

Or something. I originally thought that that was where he was going with it. Instead...

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
My thought is that they are training Hunter and Dubas from within. Nonis is still a professional GM and although he's made some terrible decisions, he knows the job and can train the up and comers.

Before people enivitably protest that he shouldn't be mentoring these guys, let me be clear. They will have their own vision and ideas. He will in no way be teaching them how a team should be built. He does however know how a front office runs and I have no doubt that he can teach them in that aspect.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
No! Let him ride out the season. He and Horachuck are doing an amazing job at getting us closer to McDavid/Eichel/Strome. Fire him after the season is done.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah, because that was his plan all along...It wasn't. Nonis buried this team into the ground and it just so happened to be on a year with an amazing draft.

You can't say for sure that it wasn't his plan. You can only say that as GM we're where we're because of him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The only reason I believe that Nonis is still actively employed by the Leafs is that Shanahan\Dubas\Hunter have zero NHL GM experience and so this is the new crew transitioning simply learning on the job the position before taking over officially. IMO

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I see it like the coaching position. Carlyle wasn't fired going into this season, because Shanny needed more time to evaluate who was available, and because he arguably didn't like who actually was available.

The logic, whether you agree with it or not, was that you may as well stick with Carlyle for a half season to full season, rather than fire him and bring in a guy you don't actually think is the longterm solution. And you can't fire a guy int he offseason and bring in an "interim" guy, you can only really do that halfway through.

Same thing with Nonis. I can't imagine that Shanny is happy with Nonis' body of work. Nonis has arguably made the team worse since taking over in 2013, and has run a deficit at the draft only picking 11 times over the past two drafts, and is already missing two picks in this upcoming draft. He also signed the Clarkson deal, and tried to sign Bolland to a similarly terrible deal. He's saddled this team with a ton of longterm contracts, removed all cap flexibility, seen zero short-term success as a team, and managed to do all of that while trading away picks and not acquiring any extras.

In saying that, Shanny may not see anybody available that he wants. May want to get to know the league better before he makes this type of major decision. Or even one of Hunter/Dubas might be who Shanny wants longterm, but he wanted them to get at minimum one year of NHL experience.

I really don't like what Nonis has done here, but I can understand the logic behind leaving him in place until the offseason. Don't give him full autonomy, give him general guidelines for who you want traded, what types of returns you're looking for, etc. And see what offers he brings back.

Shanny can even tell Nonis to hold onto Kessel/Phaneuf for now, fire Nonis in the offseason, put his longterm GM in place, and have that person make the major decisions on Kessel/Phaneuf trades. I don't have a lot of faith in Nonis, but I'm sure he's competent enough to sell off Franson/Winnik/Santorelli for decent value.

:handclap:

This is exactly it. I don't get all the people who think the real NHL works like NHL 14 on their XBox - bringing a new GM now will only act to a) slow down the moves that need to made in the next 3 weeks, and b) leave Shanny with a limited option based on who's available.

It would be a dumb and rash move, and we've suffered through too many of those already. I just don't actually get all the people who complain about the past dumb moves, only to scream for another one! :shakehead

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005

I can actually see this happening if the decision is to go with Hunter. I think they would move Nonis into an advisory capacity, and maybe bring in some other experienced guy to support.

As much as we may hate Nonis' moves, he's apparently a very respected guy within the League who still has a lot of contacts.

Dallas Eakins*

No he should've been gone yesterday. Not even for what he's done or what he hasn't done but Nonis is a dead man walking he knows he's almost certainly done at the end of this season so he seems liable to do something short sighted to try and turn this team around and save his job rather than build for the future. Why hasn't Franson been moved yet? He's a bad player looking for a worse contract the seasons lost might as well move him and get some time for the Rielly's Gardiner's even Percy's of the world try to evaluate the young player in this d core.

Horachek is the real ridiculous situation tho, again a dead man walking but one who if he keeps this up will never coach again so will desperately seek to save his job where as we should have someone in their to play the kids and plan for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad