Should Nonis be fired immediately

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
What I dont understand is that the Leafs are as bad as they are because of free agent deals, bad renewed contracts and incompetance of current management.

Now some may say that Nonis inherited this mess but I beg to differ. He had every opportunity to trade the likes of Kessel, Phaneuf and Gardiner prior to upping them up. He was part of the regime that brought in Lupul and re-upped him as well. He's the one that signed Clarkson.

So why with things going the route of core rebuild would you trust Nonis to spearhead it?

Shouldnt they be giving this guys his papers and holding the door for him on the way out of the ACC?

Why on earth would we trust this guy moving forward?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Should have been fired before the ink dried on Clarkson's contract.

Jeesh!!!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm of the opinion that since he got us in this mess, I don't trust him to navigate us out of it.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
We need a GM that is going to stockpile as many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks as possible over the next three years. The fans, media, and management need to accept that if they ever want to climb out of this hole. Nonis will be let go at the end of the season.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Why dont we fire him and hire Hunter as the interim to start the fire sale?

I dont trust Nonis to sell our assets

Leafspoison*

What I dont understand is that the Leafs are as bad as they are because of free agent deals, bad renewed contracts and incompetance of current management.

Now some may say that Nonis inherited this mess but I beg to differ. He had every opportunity to trade the likes of Kessel, Phaneuf and Gardiner prior to upping them up. He was part of the regime that brought in Lupul and re-upped him as well. He's the one that signed Clarkson.

So why with things going the route of core rebuild would you trust Nonis to spearhead it?

Shouldnt they be giving this guys his papers and holding the door for him on the way out of the ACC?

Why on earth would we trust this guy moving forward?

Hmmm, interesting. I created a new thread virtually identical to yours and mine got moved. Good luck on yours though.

I completely agree. Nonis has taken us to cap hell and gave away a player that was better than Polak, kicked in some money and if that wasn't enough, threw in a pick too.

That alone tells me Nonis is not a good judge of talent.

If I lived in Toronto, I would be protesting outside the ACC with a Fire Nonis sign and I would be there everyday after work doing it too.

CAP freaking HELL!! And is not a good GM. No kahunas.

Breaking news: Nonis signs Kadri to an 8 year deal at 6.5 million per.
Breaking news: Nonis announces he is going to stand pat at the TDL saying "We will go the rest of the way with what we have"

Breaking news: Draft Day. "there were no deals that we think would make this team better. Going into the 2016 season with these players. We believe we can make the playoffs with what we have"

Shanahan extends Nonis's contract another 5 years.

Ok, someone kick this chair from out under me. Don't worry, I tied the knot in a special way.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that since he got us in this mess, I don't trust him to navigate us out of it.

I totally agree, no reason to keep him. If you have an assistant GM in Dubas thats going nowhere then put it in his hands with Hunter and Fletcher for the interim. They will be with the organization long term it seems. No reason to leave it to Nonis who is all but gone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I only want him fired if there's a replacement right around the corner.

There should be more then enough time to hire the new GM, get his meetings in with the staff all ready in place, but his plan into motion, let other teams know of his intentions and go from there.

It looks like that Nonis will finish the year and then he will be replaced prior to the draft though.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
This mess should be dealt with during the offseason. With the amount of the time left for the Trade Deadline, you don't want any one who isn't familiar with the team to make moves before making a full assessment themselves.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

lol

realistically he doesnt have the power today that he did when he started the job. i see him as a personal assistant to shannahan at this point. the rest of the fellas i see as shannahans board members. nonis works the phones but needs to report to the board before he can make a move. i guess its kind of like how jfj was neutered but a bit difference in the sense that i have a little faith in shannahan/dubas/hunter

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What's scary is the thought that the high up execs will want him to sign the Winniks,Santorellis and Fransons before they fire him. Then it'll be clear that the issue goes far beyond Dave Nonis and he was simply a puppet in the same way JFJ was. I'm really hoping this isn't the case but with the recent report that they're unhappy about ratings, something like that should be a warning sign that they'll once again try and "re-tool". The issue is, and always has been, from ownership, is that they can't see beyond tomorrow. If they had half a brain, they'd realize that tanking earlier on, and potentially grabbing a McDavid is how you make money. People pay money to see Crosby. Non-Pens fans will tune into Pens games to watch him. People will do the same with McDavid or maybe even an Eichel for all we know. Being blinded by short-term gain has killed this franchise.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I see it like the coaching position. Carlyle wasn't fired going into this season, because Shanny needed more time to evaluate who was available, and because he arguably didn't like who actually was available.

The logic, whether you agree with it or not, was that you may as well stick with Carlyle for a half season to full season, rather than fire him and bring in a guy you don't actually think is the longterm solution. And you can't fire a guy int he offseason and bring in an "interim" guy, you can only really do that halfway through.

Same thing with Nonis. I can't imagine that Shanny is happy with Nonis' body of work. Nonis has arguably made the team worse since taking over in 2013, and has run a deficit at the draft only picking 11 times over the past two drafts, and is already missing two picks in this upcoming draft. He also signed the Clarkson deal, and tried to sign Bolland to a similarly terrible deal. He's saddled this team with a ton of longterm contracts, removed all cap flexibility, seen zero short-term success as a team, and managed to do all of that while trading away picks and not acquiring any extras.

In saying that, Shanny may not see anybody available that he wants. May want to get to know the league better before he makes this type of major decision. Or even one of Hunter/Dubas might be who Shanny wants longterm, but he wanted them to get at minimum one year of NHL experience.

I really don't like what Nonis has done here, but I can understand the logic behind leaving him in place until the offseason. Don't give him full autonomy, give him general guidelines for who you want traded, what types of returns you're looking for, etc. And see what offers he brings back.

Shanny can even tell Nonis to hold onto Kessel/Phaneuf for now, fire Nonis in the offseason, put his longterm GM in place, and have that person make the major decisions on Kessel/Phaneuf trades. I don't have a lot of faith in Nonis, but I'm sure he's competent enough to sell off Franson/Winnik/Santorelli for decent value.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't like the move by giving him the extension in the first place, now it just seems wrong to let this guy walk with five yrs of guaranteed money in his pocket. Part of me wants him gone immediately but the other part wants him to not get a free pass on that money even if they make him gm in name only.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
This mess should be dealt with during the offseason. With the amount of the time left for the Trade Deadline, you don't want any one who isn't familiar with the team to make moves before making a full assessment themselves.

But you also don't want a lame-duck exec making short-term Fletcheresque moves....

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Dave doesn't want to trade anyone, he's worked several years as the brainchild to put this group together.
Davy Clarkson was his big UFA signing to give us a playoff style perfomer to work behind the core locked up for 5 - 7 more years

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have heard the argument that Shanahan said or is at least thinking since it was Nonis himself that gave out a lot of these contracts to Phaneuf, Kessel, Clarkson, Gardiner and etc, he should be the one to get them out of this mess they are in by seeing what he can do when it comes to making trades.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
But you also don't want a lame-duck exec making short-term Fletcheresque moves....

I think Nonis is young enough that he's still a viable option in the future for a GM or AGM position for some teams. Don't think he wants to tarnish his reputation anymore than he already has and will do as he's told come trade deadline and try to make the most out of it. Just like how players are playing for a contract, I think Nonis knows he's on the chopping block next and could be showing his potential to another team.

Maybe not who knows, as long as he's gone by the end of the year.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Keep him here for the remainder of the season, it would be a complete embarrasment for him to have to ship off his players submercifully for draft picks.

Make him suffer , this is his fault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad