Confirmed with Link: Nashville buys out Turris

Should Nashville just buy-out Kyle Turris?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The Preds need Rinne as their unprotected goalie for the Seattle expansion. You protect Saros and you have Ingram as the backup, like you suggested above. It is a good goalie plan.

Now we just need a good Forward plan!

Rinne will be a free agent so it doesn't matter.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
In all of this we are leaving out what the owners want to do. We are going to be going into a season with a bunch of unknowns, including how many butts will be in the seats. I still think Poile tries as many young guys as he can, offloads what bad contracts he can, and then fills in cheaply as necessary.

I think he is going to retool as much as he can while keeping the owners pockets in mind too.
And I suspect the Preds will not be alone in that approach. Not by a long shot.

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Buyout window opens today.

Usually teams wait for the last minute just in case they can work something else out first. But teams have had a fair amount of time to kick tires and with a likely frigid market out there right now, maybe we'll see more earlier buyouts announced than usual, like Bobby Ryan.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah unless we're planning on signing someone that requires the cap space, which seems unlikely, I can't see us buying him out. Might as well give it another year to hope he improves his value enough to be traded or picked up by Seattle and if he doesn't buy him out next offseason.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Someone will eventually need a 2nd line center. There is absolutely no reason to move a first to get rid of Turris. Our prospect pool is thin enough as it is..
I think my threshold is up to moving a 3rd rounder, say, to get rid of him, though. At this point, I would do that. And that's the max price I would pay. I don't see how that really moves the needle much for any team that was interested in him, though. If they're interested, a 3rd is chopped liver next to the 4-year commit on a #2C.

I would peg today's odds at:
  • 80% we keep him for next season and hope his market value rebounds
  • 15% we find some kind of trade for him (could involve bad contract swaps or retention)
  • 5% buyout - I still have trouble believing this, but it's a weird financial landscape these days

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Help me out here. If we buy out Turris, doesn't that mean the Preds pay him $18 million now? If so, then with this economic environment, why do we think they have the free cash to do that? What am I missing?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Help me out here. If we buy out Turris, doesn't that mean the Preds pay him $18 million now? If so, then with this economic environment, why do we think they have the free cash to do that? What am I missing?
They pay him $2M a year for 8 years if they buy him out. He doesn't get it in a lump sum.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think we should trade bonino since he has value and see if turris can rebound some at 3C. We will fill in the roster holes with young talent such as tomasino/tolvanen/carrier/allard/etc. with financials so up the air this season due to COVID, I imagine we won’t be a cap team

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think we should trade bonino since he has value and see if turris can rebound some at 3C. We will fill in the roster holes with young talent such as tomasino/tolvanen/carrier/allard/etc. with financials so up the air this season due to COVID, I imagine we won’t be a cap team
Bonino would still have more value later in the season in a trade. He's an ideal deadline deal. Picks are cheaper at the deadline than they are just a few days before the draft. So I think it serves our purposes both ways to just wait on Bonino. We'll probably get a better deal later, plus at the same time if for any reason our team shows signs of competing he would certainly help us.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My guess is if anyone offered Poile the right price he would trade Bonino, but that is going to be at least a 1st in my mind and with this mess going on few teams in that position are willing to do that.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Bonino would still have more value later in the season in a trade. He's an ideal deadline deal. Picks are cheaper at the deadline than they are just a few days before the draft. So I think it serves our purposes both ways to just wait on Bonino. We'll probably get a better deal later, plus at the same time if for any reason our team shows signs of competing he would certainly help us.

Yeah and Bonino has a non-negligible cap hit so a deadline deal probably opens his availability to a lot more teams too. Only downside I see on waiting until the deadline is that Bonino has a down season or gets injured.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
FWIW, Poile didn't completely rule out a buyout of Turris in the first offseason press conference.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Makes it even worse and to me less likely. Part of me has got to wonder if there isn't more to it if Poile is considering eating dead cap for 8 years.
Well, and the way the org has seemed indifferent to completely cratering any potential value Turris may have.

I'm staunchly pro-Poile, but he seriously f'd this up (with some big help from Lavy as well). Duchene was clearly always the target and if we were going a different direction and getting Turris we should have just owned it and ran with it. I'm fearful they're going to screw this up even more with trying to rid themselves of him now.

It does feel like there's maybe something behind the scenes (Turris kicks baby kittens, or something), and it wouldn't necessarily be out of place with the way he departed from Arizona and Ottawa. Still feel like the org has handled this very poorly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad