Confirmed with Link: Nashville buys out Turris

Should Nashville just buy-out Kyle Turris?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well, and the way the org has seemed indifferent to completely cratering any potential value Turris may have.

I'm staunchly pro-Poile, but he seriously f'd this up (with some big help from Lavy as well). Duchene was clearly always the target and if we were going a different direction and getting Turris we should have just owned it and ran with it. I'm fearful they're going to screw this up even more with trying to rid themselves of him now.

It does feel like there's maybe something behind the scenes (Turris kicks baby kittens, or something), and it wouldn't necessarily be out of place with the way he departed from Arizona and Ottawa. Still feel like the org has handled this very poorly.
yeh getting another top 6 center without any kind of gameplan for Turris was really dumb by poile.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, and the way the org has seemed indifferent to completely cratering any potential value Turris may have.

I'm staunchly pro-Poile, but he seriously f'd this up (with some big help from Lavy as well). Duchene was clearly always the target and if we were going a different direction and getting Turris we should have just owned it and ran with it. I'm fearful they're going to screw this up even more with trying to rid themselves of him now.

It does feel like there's maybe something behind the scenes (Turris kicks baby kittens, or something), and it wouldn't necessarily be out of place with the way he departed from Arizona and Ottawa. Still feel like the org has handled this very poorly.
Oh no doubt. I feel like Poile made a short term decision with a long term commitment when it came to Turris.

I mean if it was just a Lavi problem when it comes to Turris then why the urgency to move him now? Kind of makes you wonder if Turris hasn't gotten an ego by basically being able to force teams to do what he wants and he makes some serious demands or acts a fool behind the scenes if he doesn't get his way.

I get the feeling the reason Poile is unwilling to package anything to move him is because he doesn't want to keep making it worse. I mean a 2 million cap hit stings, but does it sting more than missing out on a possible franchise player? Probably not.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Oh no doubt. I feel like Poile made a short term decision with a long term commitment when it came to Turris.

I mean if it was just a Lavi problem when it comes to Turris then why the urgency to move him now? Kind of makes you wonder if Turris hasn't gotten an ego by basically being able to force teams to do what he wants and he makes some serious demands or acts a fool behind the scenes if he doesn't get his way.

I get the feeling the reason Poile is unwilling to package anything to move him is because he doesn't want to keep making it worse. I mean a 2 million cap hit stings, but does it sting more than missing out on a possible franchise player? Probably not.
It's strange because Hynes was definitely using him in a more pronounced role before the shutdown. I don't know if that was a brief showcase attempt, but it seemed as though he might get a fairer shake under the new regime. Maybe bringing in Duchene and then the doghousing just eroded his interest in being here and it's caused problems that can't be repaired.

Reactions: Gh24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's strange because Hynes was definitely using him in a more pronounced role before the shutdown. I don't know if that was a brief showcase attempt, but it seemed as though he might get a fairer shake under the new regime. Maybe bringing in Duchene and then the doghousing just eroded his interest in being here and it's caused problems that can't be repaired.
Possible. I mean it felt like Poile was ready to move him out as soon as he signed Duchene so it makes you wonder just exactly what was going on. I know they had a hard on for Duchene, but it's like they had zero plan of keeping Turris or trying him somewhere else.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I did a comparative analysis of all NHL players who scored between 30-35 points. If I was advising Poile, 1-2 million and that's it.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Duchene had come in and shot the lights out, I guess we wouldn't care as much. But Duchene got a whole lot more coddling and opportunity than Turris last season, and I don't think his 42 points was even as good as Turris' 31 points, given all that. Duchene was actually a lot more disappointing to me than Turris was last season.

That's bad news either way, given we have $14M per locked up in them. :(

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Tbh neither were exactly in a great position. Duchene kept being moved back and forth to wing and then when even at center his wingers weren't exactly setting the world on fire either.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Ever wonder how Johansen, Fiala, Turris. Granlund, Duchene all play below par here? At the same time or thereabouts? What are the odds? These are players with skills and prior better performance. What’s up with that?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ever wonder how Johansen, Fiala, Turris. Granlund, Duchene all play below par here? At the same time or thereabouts? What are the odds? These are players with skills and prior better performance. What’s up with that?
Joey had slid a bit before he got here, the take from people out of Minnesota was that Granlund was having issues there as well. Duchene had a bad season where his best winger was bad too. Turris got hurt and got in the doghouse and lost his spot to Duchene. Fiala did better once he got free reign to create how he wanted in Minnesota, no real surprise.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Joey had slid a bit before he got here, the take from people out of Minnesota was that Granlund was having issues there as well. Duchene had a bad season where his best winger was bad too. Turris got hurt and got in the doghouse and lost his spot to Duchene. Fiala did better once he got free reign to create how he wanted in Minnesota, no real surprise.
Yes, but these guys have good to great skills. You can see it when they want to. There’s something wrong with the “want to”. 1 player, sure. 2 players, maybe. 5 players, nope, somethings wrong here. What is it?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yes, but these guys have good to great skills. You can see it when they want to. There’s something wrong with the “want to”. 1 player, sure. 2 players, maybe. 5 players, nope, somethings wrong here. What is it?
Nothing, you just got a lot of guys on long term contracts that are comfortable. That's not a Preds thing, that's an individual player thing. That's between the ears.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Definitely not just a Preds thing. Check out Duchene's performance in contract years vs non. :shakehead
I think for some guys it takes them a bit to learn how to find that fire after signing that deal. Ellis was a pretty good example of that. Others just can't and sadly I think for them hockey is about the money, not the hockey.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't have any sources, but I'm almost 100% sure Turris will not be with the Preds at the start of next season.

I wouldn't want to buy him out or trade him and lose some futures but he just absolutely does not have a spot in Nashville right now.

He's too finesse and expensive for the bottom-6, he doesn't gel well with Duchene especially when he's on the wing and he's not a part of JOFA.

Pretty much the only spot in the lineup I could see him being is the 3RW next to Bonino & Grimaldi, but even then I don't think he's a good Smith replacement on that line as he is not physical and is not a good forechecker which is where Smith thrived.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't want to buy him out or trade him and lose some futures but he just absolutely does not have a spot in Nashville right now.

He's too finesse and expensive for the bottom-6, he doesn't gel well with Duchene especially when he's on the wing and he's not a part of JOFA.

Pretty much the only spot in the lineup I could see him being is the 3RW next to Bonino & Grimaldi, but even then I don't think he's a good Smith replacement on that line as he is not physical and is not a good forechecker which is where Smith thrived.
3RW and 2C are the only spots I would consider him for. 3RW is just an experiment and could easily fail without surprising me at all. 2C... it just means you kick Duchene to 3RW instead for a year, basically. And... I wouldn't mind doing that. Duchene wasn't any better than Turris last season. And our 3rd line was really strong, so it shouldn't be THAT much of a setback for Duchene... he might also be better there.

It's not a great situation no matter what. But I definitely don't want to be stuck with the buyout cap hit on Turris, nor some new boat-anchor contract coming back in a trade, nor retention, nor giving up futures to dump Turris. Gifting Turris the #2C spot with non-Duchene wingers would be my last Hail Mary toss to try to rehabilitate his market value. I think we can afford that gamble for next season. Worst case, we are no worse off than we are at present - a little better because then there are only 3 years left on Turris' deal. Best case we get his market value back to where it should be and can then trade him without the same drawbacks as this year present us.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Gotta wonder if he goes the buyout route if it isn't because its just easy and done. He's never been one to retain, and I can't remember too often him trading assets to move a contract. Him working under budget though he is comfortable doing.

No regrets on losing an asset and no regrets on a what could have been draft pick.

Then again it may be as simple as the owners want to save the real dollars now.

I think it says something if he does it though, he just wanted him out of the organization and that can't be a good thing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If Poile does buy him out... then yeah, I'm a bit worried about our finances tbh. Saving $4M up front is not chicken feed. But if we can't ride out that amount, it's not a good sign. If they do buy him out, that's really the only way to justify it, though. :(

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Minnesota seems to say they need a #2C but the fans on the main board were basically just offering us Zuccarello for him, which we couldn't do due to the NMC.

If there was anything around the Donato murmurs and maybe we could trade Turris with some retention or something to get Donato back, I guess that's a modestly useful player back. The team could try Donato out in a variety of slots on our roster, see if he fits anywhere.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Minnesota seems to say they need a #2C but the fans on the main board were basically just offering us Zuccarello for him, which we couldn't do due to the NMC.

If there was anything around the Donato murmurs and maybe we could trade Turris with some retention or something to get Donato back, I guess that's a modestly useful player back. The team could try Donato out in a variety of slots on our roster, see if he fits anywhere.
Donato would be fine. Not sure Turris' style fits in with what Guerin wants to do, but they do need centers and their cap situation isn't completely awful. As you say, Zuccarello is a complete non-starter.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

There would have to be salary coming back as well, I think. Most likely Rask. But are we doing too big of a favor for a division rival, especially if Turris finds his game again? They get a legitimate 2C and dump a bad contract, which I wouldn't mind if they played in the East.

Rask buyout would be pretty cheap, though, $1,333,333 cap hit for the next 4 years. Doesn't sound too bad especially comparing to Turris'.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There would have to be salary coming back as well, I think. Most likely Rask. But are we doing too big of a favor for a division rival, especially if Turris finds his game again? They get a legitimate 2C and dump a bad contract, which I wouldn't mind if they played in the East.

Rask buyout would be pretty cheap, though, $1,333,333 cap hit for the next 4 years. Doesn't sound too bad especially comparing to Turris'.
Well I'm definitely not scared to play against Turris for the next 4 years. If we could actually find a taker for him, let it be within the division, I'm totally fine with that.

I never really paid attention to Rask so no clue why he got so bad all of a sudden like he seemed to, but it couldn't hurt to see if we got anything out of him with a change of scenery, I wouldn't even buy him out straight away if we aren't going to sign anybody else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad