Should Mike Babcock be fired if the Leafs lose in Game 7?

Should Mike Babcock be fired if the Leafs lose in Game 7?

• Total voters

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I've been saying it for a long time. IMO he's terrible at game management. If you're Leaf fan, he deserves another year with a win tonight. But the Leafs can do better next year without him.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I voted yes because I hope he does, and we get him, but I don't think it would be smart for the Leafs in the long run. Especially since there's no good FA coaches available

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I voted yes because I hope he does, and we get him, but I don't think it would be smart for the Leafs in the long run. Especially since there's no good FA coaches available
You would quickly enjoy 17 minutes of McDavid a night lol. Babcock has been soundly out coached in 3 straight playoff series so far with the Leafs.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
As long as he gets them as far as only the 1st rd i hope the Leafs keep him for the next 10 yrs.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Probably. But don't fall into the trap of making the coach the convenient scapegoat.

Dubas has to get some of the blame for acquiring Muzzin, keeping Gardiner, the whole issue with Nylander, and frankly Patrik Marleau. Those players, and also Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander can't be too happy with their performances this series. Kadri is responsible for the bone-headed hit he was suspended for. Even Andersen, who IMO is capable of a lot more. This is what, the second consecutive game seven he has disappointed in?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Not once was Babcocks team a favorite to win any of the series. Clearly, they havnt been able to upset any team either but the Leafs have other glaring problems that needs to be fixed first before looking at the normal scapegoat.

Looking at Kadri who puts himself ahead of the team, not once but twice suspending himself for a big amount of post season games on selfish plays. Lack of post season experience on the entire team , and still lack of D depth even though they added Muzzin it looks weak compared to other teams.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Probably. But don't fall into the trap of making the coach the convenient scapegoat.

Dubas has to get some of the blame for acquiring Muzzin, keeping Gardiner, the whole issue with Nylander, and frankly Patrik Marleau. Those players, and also Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander can't be too happy with their performances this series. Kadri is responsible for the bone-headed hit he was suspended for. Even Andersen, who IMO is capable of a lot more. This is what, the second consecutive game seven he has disappointed in?

Why does Dubas get blame?

He acquired Tavares
He signed Nylander who was there most of season + playoffs (had Nylander sat the season out and Leafs lost - then you blame Dubas big time as you wonder if Nylander makes a difference)
He traded for Muzzin, arguably the best defenseman traded during the season

You can blame Dubas for a lot of things. Maybe question how he'll manage the off season with contracts and cap space, and shedding dead weight/salaries. None of that affected playoffs this year though. The loss isn't on him at all imo. it's on coach and players.

Not once was Babcocks team a favorite to win any of the series. Clearly, they havnt been able to upset any team either but the Leafs have other glaring problems that needs to be fixed first before looking at the normal scapegoat.

Looking at Kadri who puts himself ahead of the team, not once but twice suspending himself for a big amount of post season games on selfish plays. Lack of post season experience on the entire team , and still lack of D depth even though they added Muzzin it looks weak compared to other teams.

It's true that Leafs haven't been the favorites once - but underdogs win all the time (this year especially) - and the past 2 years specifically it's been kind of a 51/49 in terms of favorite vs underdogs with Leafs and Bruins. At some point you have to win.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
It's true that Leafs haven't been the favorites once - but underdogs win all the time (this year especially) - and the past 2 years specifically it's been kind of a 51/49 in terms of favorite vs underdogs with Leafs and Bruins. At some point you have to win.

True at some point you have to win, underdogs win but when they do they are built differently than the Leafs, the player material does not seem to be strong mentally.. the lack of confidence has been evident for many years. They havnt particularly invest in players with a history of winning series over the past couple of years either.. And the one addition with a a cup - Muzzins, its quite a few years since he last won a series at this point.

All upsets so far has been dominance pretty much from the beginning in all accounts with the Avs, BJ's and Islanders all playing fantastic in almost all games, the one potential upset that is still up in air Canes vs Caps.. Canes has been super agressive on their forecheck and playing really good defensively something that the Leafs have not done.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think he will be but I'm perfectly fine if he is.

He got horribly out coached and continues to make stupid horrible decisions. He continues to use Marleau...like....all the time. No matter what the scenario and I don't know how Babcock hadn't noticed this....but Marleau sucks now. He's the most nothing inconsequential player on the Leafs. He merely exists and adds nothing.

There's also no excuse for his management of Matthews ice time.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's a cop out. Babcock is a good coach imo.

He's good but stubborn about certain things that can be pretty costly.

Should the highest paid coach in the NHL be playing Marleau 17 minutes in a pivotal game 6? Playing Matthews <19 minutes in game 7? Run a pedestrian PP when you have Rielly, Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Gardiner, Muzzin, etc as options?

I'm not giving an opinion yet on whether Leafs should fire him. I don't think it's a slam dunk either way, though I do think we want to avoid losing Keefe.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

I would give a plus to Dubas for acquiring Muzzin and signing Nylander actually.

It's on Babcock in terms of how they were used. Ie Patrick Marleau.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
He shouldn't be fired but somebody in Leafs management needs to sit down with him and ask him why Matthews plays so few minutes. He is no longer a baby that needs coddling. This will be Year 4 and he was the best chance that they had at tying game 7.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Muzzin - Good
Gardiner - Good
Nylander - Good
Marleau - Signed by Lou

What does Dubas deserve blame for exactly?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

You do know that Kyle Dubas is not the one who signed Patrick Marleau. It was Lou Lamoriello who gave him a 3 year contract when he was the Leafs GM.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You do know that Kyle Dubas is not the one who signed Patrick Marleau. It was Lou Lamoriello who gave him a 3 year contract when he was the Leafs GM.

My bad.

Seems like a lot of Leafs fans are happy with Gardiner and Muzzin, so over that we just have a disagreement. I'm not sure how people think the Nylander issue was handled well.

Why does Dubas get blame?

He acquired Tavares

Who had a very bad series. I don't think it was a good use of cap space given Toronto already looked good up front. Can you imagine if they had that 11 million to chase Karlsson this offseason?

He signed Nylander who was there most of season + playoffs (had Nylander sat the season out and Leafs lost - then you blame Dubas big time as you wonder if Nylander makes a difference)
He traded for Muzzin, arguably the best defenseman traded during the season

Nylander had a bad season, and I am sure the late start plus his own frustration, fueled by Dubas's incompetency, contributed to it.

The Muzzin trade looked good at the time, but it really hasn't worked out. I thought he was awful in the playoffs...at some point, you have to judge a trade on the results and not the process.

Also, at the end of the day, Dubas is responsible for the staff and the players. We can argue about how much time he has to clean house and acquire/trade certain players, but he's responsible for the end product. Maybe you are frustrated with Babcock, but Dubas was the guy who didn't have the foresight or the gumption to move on from him.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My bad.

Seems like a lot of Leafs fans are happy with Gardiner and Muzzin, so over that we just have a disagreement. I'm not sure how people think the Nylander issue was handled well.
I just hope that Dubas learned from the Nylander contract and he gets Marner re-signed before July 1, 2019.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I've been saying it for a long time. IMO he's terrible at game management. If you're Leaf fan, he deserves another year with a win tonight. But the Leafs can do better next year without him.

Maybe the Leafs can get better, with some proper dmen.
We need to get rid of 3 for a long time now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad