Should Mike Babcock be fired if the Leafs lose in Game 7?

Should Mike Babcock be fired if the Leafs lose in Game 7?

• Total voters

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
The Leafs are in game 7 against the team that was tied for 2nd overall in the league and the Leafs have been the better team at 5-on-5 for the majority of the series. There's no reason to can Babcock because of this. However, there are definitely things I'd like to see Babcock do this game but I doubt they'd be fireable offenses.

Special teams coaches on the other hand...

I dont want him fired.

But I don't understand why Babcock wouldn't coach the PP himself. Like what the point of having a 50 million dollar coach if they dont even coach one of the most important aspects of the game.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
What if there was another embarrassing first round exit? We just missed a great cap window with Matthews/Marner
If you're embarrassed by losing to Boston in 7 games your hopes were too high to begin with.

Reactions: Lurch

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He should be though, the players don't like him.
Well I don't know if I'd say that yet, but they won't if they lose to Boston. You can only get away with being a hardass coach if you get results. It looks like Babcock does have the team buying in, but there's no chance he'll get them to next year if he can't even win a round

Mar 26, 2010
He should be though, the players don't like him.
I am not a fan of him myself, but I don’t see the MLSE ever firing him. Even if the Leafs lose game 7 again tonight and miss the playoffs next season..
Still no.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well I don't know if I'd say that yet, but they won't if they lose to Boston. You can only get away with being a hardass coach if you get results. It looks like Babcock does have the team buying in, but there's no chance he'll get them to next year if he can't even win a round

That's what I hear anyway and it makes a lot of sense with how strangely inconsistent this team is along with all the questionable decisions he makes with player usage.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm indifferent at this point. He's shown to be stubborn, unwilling to change, plays vets over better players, refuses to ride his stars, picks favourites (the wrong guys), and just overall imo seems to be holding the team back. At some points I do believe we win in spite of him.

But I also think he's a good coach with a team that would play more his "style", great person, and if Dubas thinks he's deserving of another year I'll shut my mouth and try not to complain. These playoffs though I've thought he's done a good job adapting for the most part, something that I haven't seen in the last 3 seasons. If he stays, I really hope he keeps that up.

But, I do believe that this team could get ridiculous with a coach that actually used the players strengths to the team's advantage though.

Reactions: authentic

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I can't see it unless there was someone that they really wanted on the market. Which I don't see at the moment.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
His player usage is highly questionable.

The assistants should be fired before Babcock however. They’re responsible for the abysmal special teams.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think he'll be fired. Likely will change assistant coaches in the off-season.

He will get next year with high expectations. I think unless we go to a Stanley Cup final that Babcock is likely fired next year. I could see Dubas bringing in Keefe, I might opt for Bruce Boudreau as I think by next summer he will be available.

My 2 cents.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
No, unless the team gets totally blown out like 6-1.

I think both assistant / special teams coaches are gone in the offseason regardless though. That wouldn't just be a playoff overreaction, our PP has been bad since December and our PK has slipped all year to the point of being non-existent in these playoffs. The PK especially isn't great goals by Boston just way too passive on defence. I couldn't believe in game 6 they basically had all four guys collapsed onto the crease area. Johnanson had so much space at the side of the net he could have easily stepped forward a couple feet and ripped an uncontested shot.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
It won't happen but I would think Babcock would be on really thin ice

Babcock lost the confidence of his best player
Babcock brutal stubbornness
Babcock poor lineups
Babcock piss poor special teams coupled with his refusal to make changes
Babcock piss poor 2nd half of the season (going something like 17-15 since January) that lost home ice advantage

These are the reasons why Babcock must be let go, but i can understand why Dubas won't. However no matter what happens today every single assistant that works on special teams MUST be fired

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Boston is a good team, and I don't blame Babs for having the misfortune of bumping into them for the last two years

That said, I think the roster is better than the results have been these last two seasons. So either I'm too high on the roster, or the coach has dropped the ball

And since I cannot possibly be wrong, it must mean it's time to consider a new coach

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Any first round loss is an embarrassment considering we have 2 generational talents in Tavares and Matthews. Not to mention Marner making a case for himself

Ovechkin is a generational talent and it took him and his club over a decade to win the Cup. The cap window is another equally moot point. The notion that Babcock is going to lose Game 7 is just notional at this point however much you insist it's presently a fact to fit your insistent preference.

Consider the back to back 100 points seasons. The rookie records set, the Calder trophy won and the floor from which Babcock's Leafs have risen from and you have every factual argument to keep him for the duration of the contract he signed. A good faith contract that hired Babcock for better worse. So far, he's delivered on his end of the bargain as far as I'm concerned.

There's no shame to losing to Washington and Boston, two Stanley Cup championship teams still capable of winning the Stanley Cup. You can't will a team as young as Toronto impose their will on said teams.

Would you agree that players can't simply will their preferred outcomes independent certain mitigating factors?

Is this question (and thread) motivated by a personal dislike for Mike Babcock? Because it seems determined to shape opinion to endorse firing Babcock.

TSN Jdog

Apr 25, 2016
Starting to hate the Leafs
Ovechkin is a generational talent and it took him and his club over a decade to win the Cup. The cap window is another equally moot point. The notion that Babcock is going to lose Game 7 is just notional at this point however much you insist it's presently a fact to fit your insistent preference.

Consider the back to back 100 points seasons. The rookie records set, the Calder trophy won and the floor from which Babcock's Leafs have risen from and you have every factual argument to keep him for the duration of the contract he signed. A good faith contract that hired Babcock for better worse. So far, he's delivered on his end of the bargain as far as I'm concerned.

There's no shame to losing to Washington and Boston, two Stanley Cup championship teams still capable of winning the Stanley Cup. You can't will a team as young as Toronto impose their will on said teams.

Would you agree that players can't simply will their preferred outcomes independent certain mitigating factors?

Is this question (and thread) motivated by a personal dislike for Mike Babcock? Because it seems determined to shape opinion to endorse firing Babcock.

cringe

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
No.

If the Leafs got slapped around and lost in 4 or 5, I think you could make a very strong case. But this series has been pretty even.

Obviously if they lose tonight, you're going to see a lot of reactionary posts. But this series can go either way. HC shouldnt be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->