Should Matthews, Nylander and Marner play on the same line?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
that was the line that led kadri to have 3pts in 29 games. no thanks
Wasn't Marleau - Kadri - Komarov the line that "led" Kadri to have 3 points in 29 games?

And even when they weren't producing, they were often still generating chances, but Kadri was snake-bit.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Give me this for the first 57 minutes:
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Kadri-Hyman
Leivo-Aaltonen-Brown

And this for last 3 minutes:
Kadri-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Nyl-Kap

With that 1st line having Nylander as the extra man in the last minute
Its where Nylander has played his best hockey.
That's totally wrong. Kadri and Nylander have zero chemistry.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That's totally wrong. Kadri and Nylander have zero chemistry.
It allows Nylander to drive the lines offense, which is what they both need. You saw Nylander's play improve in the playoffs when they were united and he lookrd as good with Kadri as a rookie as he did with Matthews. I'd argue better IMO.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It allows Nylander to drive the lines offense, which is what they both need. You saw Nylander's play improve in the playoffs when they were united and he lookrd as good with Kadri as a rookie as he did with Matthews. I'd argue better IMO.

Nylander had some real chemistry with Colin Greening of all people in his pre-rookie call up. I wonder if a power forward is someone you definitely want him playing with, get his energy level up and keep him playing straight lines as much as possible.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nylander had some real chemistry with Colin Greening of all people in his pre-rookie call up. I wonder if a power forward is someone you definitely want him playing with, get his energy level up and keep him playing straight lines as much as possible.

Worked for Kadri. Nylander is a C

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
HymanMatthewsKapanen
MarleauKadriMarner
GrundstromNylanderBrown
JohnnsonAaltonen/LindholmGrabner
RiellyHainsey
GardinerZaitsev
Dermott Ozhiganov
Andersen
McBackup
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I like this as our lineup, give Nylander some reliable wingers and let them develop nicely. Grabner adds some more elite speed and with Kapanen + Grabs we will be giving teams fits on the PK.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
HymanMatthewsKapanen
MarleauKadriMarner
GrundstromNylanderBrown
JohnnsonAaltonen/LindholmGrabner
RiellyHainsey
GardinerZaitsev
Dermott Ozhiganov
Andersen
McBackup
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I like this as our lineup, give Nylander some reliable wingers and let them develop nicely. Grabner adds some more elite speed and with Kapanen + Grabs we will be giving teams fits on the PK.

Pretty sure Matthew's winger will be someone who has more then two career assists.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews and Marner can play together on the powerplay. Right now, our team is better not loading up our 2 best forwards on 1 line. Babcock's comment, "you guys want them to play together. I want to win" is directly related to the belief we need Marner on his own line to drive more offense, which is not at all an unfair opinion to hold.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I like to differentiate players between offense-drivers and offense-contributors. The former are guys that can be the focal point of his lines offense, the latter are those that to a varying degree can support that kind of player.

We have four forwards who are offense-drivers in my opinion. Putting three of them on the same line would likely make us a two-line team.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If Nylander's able to become a C, there's obviously the opportunity to have none of the three together. Otherwise, two of the three as linemates should probably be the limit. There are enough UFAs up front though to potentially change the look of the team quite a bit going into next season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd expect Hyman/Matthews/Marner to play together more frequently next season.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I'd love to see Matthews/Marner get extended time together and Nylander/Kapanen. Slap Marleau as winger on either line.

And then a Honey Badger line of Hyman - Kadri - Brown lol

Reactions: JayDog17

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Pretty sure Matthew's winger will be someone who has more then two career assists.

Kapanen has shown the ability to put up assists in the AHL. Don't you remember all the times he has slid the puck over to Komarov on the 2 on 1. If that was Matthews it would be in the majority. I would give it a shot.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Kapanen has shown the ability to put up assists in the AHL. Don't you remember all the times he has slid the puck over to Komarov on the 2 on 1. If that was Matthews it would be in the majority. I would give it a shot.

kaps can go anywhere top six. he's an upgrade over hyman or brown.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think it's low key at all. I think Babcock needs to step into reality and play him there
If Nylander isn't ready yet, he's not ready yet. This isn't a 2 year development plan for these guys.
I still think Nylander ends up being a center but he will be a full time center when he's ready.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd expect Hyman/Matthews/Marner to play together more frequently next season.

Not sure I agree as both Matthews and Marner drive line offense and together the sacrifice is felt on the other lines.

The cause and effect of this move might see the Leafs become top heavy and more a one line offense like Boston with all the other lines more support lines.

A Marleau -- Kadri -- Marner line when firing on all cylinders takes both some the offensive load and weight off the Matthews line, as well as draws some of the opposition top defenders away from Auston as well, allowing 2 lines to split/share advantages, home and away.

With JVR and Bozak both likely leaving that means Leafs depth will be tested.

Spliting Mitch and Auston isn't about punishing either player is about balancing offense across more lines.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not sure I agree as both Matthews and Marner drive line offense and together the sacrifice is felt on the other lines.

The cause and effect of this move might see the Leafs become top heavy and more a one line offense like Boston with all the other lines more support lines.

A Marleau -- Kadri -- Marner line when firing on all cylinders takes both some the offensive load and weight off the Matthews line, as well as draws some of the opposition top defenders away from Auston as well, allowing 2 lines to split/share advantages, home and away.

With JVR and Bozak both likely leaving that means Leafs depth will be tested.

Spliting Mitch and Auston isn't about punishing either player is about balancing offense across more lines.
It was just something I had heard. Nothing is set in stone and would depend on others being able to drive lines.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'd prefer it if Matthews and Kadri just switched lines.

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Kadri - Nylander
Yes, it wouldn't be a surprise if Marleau replaced Hyman.
I would be surprised if Nylander was added to a shutdown line though.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I wouldn't. He's played there before granted with Komarov and Kadri. But I'm sure Babcock would see it as an option.
I think a line like Marleau-Matthews-Marner would have the same idea for Boston's Bergeron line. That line would potentially face other top lines and try to come out ahead and the Hyman-Kadri-Nylander line could potentially feast on the other depth the teams have.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00