Should Matthews, Nylander and Marner play on the same line?

Willy the Swede

Apr 16, 2018
I've heard some stuff about switching Nylander out for Marner, specifically because of the Matthews line nonexistent efficiency in the playoffs and Matthews' comment on how he'd like to play with Marner. Should Marner be moved to Matthews' side to replace Nylander or not?

Then there are also those who say Babs should put them all together on a line. What's your take on that?

Base it on the current roster as well.

Last edited:

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I say no to putting Marner and Matthews together on the fact that they both can drive a line. I can't see willy being able to drive a line all by himself. Hes a nice fit beside Matthews though.

To your question, I think the only time they should be on the same line is on the PP, along with someone big in front of the net screening and Moe/Jake on the blueline

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
lets say your down late, about to lose game and need a goal, well why the heck not but i dont think they should under normal circumstances...spread it out, you need 3 lines all going at same time to really compete and win it all

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I can't see all of them ever playing on an even strength line together. Maybe a PP unit of some sorts.

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen-Martin

I like the offense more spread out imo.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Also interesting to hear Matthews and Marner talking about playing with one another. Does it mean Nylander is on the outside looking in in terms of teammate chemistry?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Also interesting to hear Matthews and Marner talking about playing with one another. Does it mean Nylander is on the outside looking in in terms of teammate chemistry?
I really think that low-key Nylander really wants to be a center going forward.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
No way. I'm still a big believer in Nylander being a C.

Two skilled lines, one skilled/defensive line, and a big-forechecking 4th line that can play. Basically a better version of Nashville's forward lines.
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Marchment/Leivo - Lindholm/Aaltonen- Comeau (UFA)

Reactions: IBeL34f

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
That’s impossible. As one has to be traded. All the other fan bases says so and they know this team better than all of us.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
This depth crap is a crock of shit. Slam your best players on together and dominate the game. Give them 24 mins and then you alternate with kadri/marleau then every third shift the third or fourth line gets on.

Reactions: Tlo1

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
No and yes.

3 skilled players who drive a line should be spread out to maximize our scoring ability. But, on the pp yeah they should. If we are down a goal, yeah we should.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Nah and the coach Babcock knowsss this like they it in slapshot. Knowwws. Or was it owwwwns.

Anyways They ain't playing together never. Babcock is the coach.

Nylander will be our center in the future like some of y'all already know. I know ice hockey and having played and coached I know it through out with my cigarilloes now retired.

Reactions: al secord

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I can't see all of them ever playing on an even strength line together. Maybe a PP unit of some sorts.

Nylander-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen-Martin

I like the offense more spread out imo.
Where the f Hyman at? He playing and winning. babcock plays with him.

Reactions: al secord

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I really think that low-key Nylander really wants to be a center going forward.

Duh. It's his natural position. Watch him play centre and try to tell me he doesn't look infinitely better defensively compared to him on the wing. I still don't understand how people don't see how ridiculous it would be to have Matthews and Marner together and Nylander getting weaker match ups as a centre.

Reactions: JayDog17

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
No.

"Base it on the current roster" you say?

Hell no.

Nylander - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Hyman - Aaltonen - Johnsson
Leivo - Lindholm - Brown

Bottom six goes from one of the top in the league this year to one of the worst. That's not how you win and you would think the TBL - BOS series shows how important it is to have secondary scoring.

If Nylander moves to C, the line-up should look exactly like this IMO:

Hyman/Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau/Hyman - Kadri - Brown

Based on Babcock's comments last year and his play this year, looks like Grundstrom should have a good chance to play his way onto the Leafs next year as well. Aaltonen, Timashov, Gauthier should also have a chance or be potential call-ups. Our team won't look like this though, we will have at least one (most likely more) FA signings (I think there's a good chance Bozak is back on at least a short-term deal).

If Nylander doesn't move to C, we will need to sign Bozak or acquire/sign some other Center to play in the #2/3 role and the Matthews line will probably be what it was this year (or possibly switch Marner with Nylander).

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't think so. I think there's diminishing returns for overloading on one line. These guys are at their best when the puck is on their stick, and if they're all on each others line, they'll each have the puck less because they all like to carry it.

Spreading them out gets a premier puck carrier and offensive catalyst onto multiple lines. I think two of them together is good, but not all three.

Reactions: StatsNightHeroes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad