Should Matthews, Nylander and Marner play on the same line?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Also interesting to hear Matthews and Marner talking about playing with one another. Does it mean Nylander is on the outside looking in in terms of teammate chemistry?
I have to wonder what Babcock means. Matthews plays with Nylander. When asked about playing Marner with Matthews, Babcock replied I want to win. So what's the difference swapping Marner and Nylander?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'd like to see Marner and Matthews together, but I'd also like to see Nylander with Kapanen.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think so. I think there's diminishing returns for overloading on one line. These guys are at their best when the puck is on their stick, and if they're all on each others line, they'll each have the puck less because they all like to carry it.

Spreading them out gets a premier puck carrier and offensive catalyst onto multiple lines. I think two of them together is good, but not all three.

The law of diminishing returns is real.

Square peg in round hole is also a real thing when it comes to chemistry.

My observation... Nylander Matthews is a waste of talent but not by a whole lot. Kapanen could give you a similar dynamic to Nylander and Brown makes Matthews work harder because his style draws Matthews out.

In the interest of making him earn his keep, use Brown. In the interest of pushing teams back, Kapanen

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No way. I'm still a big believer in Nylander being a C.

Two skilled lines, one skilled/defensive line, and a big-forechecking 4th line that can play. Basically a better version of Nashville's forward lines.
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Marchment/Leivo - Lindholm/Aaltonen- Comeau (UFA)

that was the line that led kadri to have 3pts in 29 games. no thanks

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Mike-Babcock.jpg

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
They should try it for an extended period just to see if it works out. If we go on a 5 game losing streak or something because all the fears are recognized than get rid of it.
This team has so much talent, why not experiment instead of rigidly adhering to some unproven conservatism that masquerades as common sense?
Just because the Penguins do it doesn't mean that the Leafs should. We don't have comparable top players. We have very good players in their own right but assuming that they can dominate separate lines like the Penguins do is certainly as unrealistic as the premise of playing Marner/Matthews/Nylander together.
If the rumours are true then Matthews (and likely other players) are bit frustrated with the system in place and wouldn't mind a bit more experimentation.

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
no they shouldn't, look at the recent cup champs, Penguins split Kessel/Crosby/Malkin on different lines, Chicago didn't have Toews/Kane together and neither did the Kings with Kopitar and Carter. you don't stack 1 line because there easier to check, if they get shutdown you've lost. now on the PP that's that's different, and also have no problem for 3-4 shifts 5on5 loading up to catch the other team by surprise but for the most part 5on5 no they should be on different lines. especially Marner and Matthews

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander and Marner are both RWers with Willie occasionally playing C.

I can't see anyway Babcock would make the 3 Amigo's a regular line other than perhaps short-term to mount a comeback or goalie out needing a tying goal.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Marleau Matthews Marner
-skill and leadership

Hyman Kadri Brown
-check

Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
-speed

____ Gauthier Grundtrom
-check

Rielly Myers
Dermott Hainsey
Borgman Liljegren

Edit... originally said Trouba by accident. Meant Myers

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysses31

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would be a bit unusual with two wingers on the right side, but maybe it’d confuse the opponent

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think if everything went right, they could be as good as The French Connection line, with similar playoff success.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I say no to putting Marner and Matthews together on the fact that they both can drive a line. I can't see willy being able to drive a line all by himself. Hes a nice fit beside Matthews though.

To your question, I think the only time they should be on the same line is on the PP, along with someone big in front of the net screening and Moe/Jake on the blueline
I think late 3rd, chasing the lead, those 3 should be out together.

Reactions: Ulysses31

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
would i do it if we were down by one or two goals? sure. willie on the left side (played on the lw for the marlies and in pre-season games for the leafs) and marner on the right side wouldn't look too bad. on the regular tho? nah.

i fear our team wouldn't be as good if we had all of our three best players on one line. also, i think marner is so much better when he can drive his own line, f***ing up other lines, doodling around them. being able to score from every line is far more important than having all your best players playing together.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes. Other teams stack the lines, why not the Leafs/ They also have the depth to still have 3 solid lines.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Maybe if you sign Tavares, Marner can move up beside Matthews and Nylander down with Kadri.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Tavares-Kapanen
Johnson-Kadri-Nylander
Grundstrom-?-Brown

Sorry Leivo&Brown. You both deserve better.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
No way. I'm still a big believer in Nylander being a C.

Two skilled lines, one skilled/defensive line, and a big-forechecking 4th line that can play. Basically a better version of Nashville's forward lines.
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Marchment/Leivo - Lindholm/Aaltonen- Comeau (UFA)
I've liked the idea of a lineup like this for a long time as well. One thing I'd be interested to see considered would be to swap Marleau and Johnsson if Babs wants someone with C experience on Willy's flank, but this base structure at least is definitely the way I'd go.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->