Should Marner's next contract be similar to what Nikita Kucherov is getting?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Marner will get at least 9m especially when Nylander locked in at 7m for six years.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I think everybody is in for a pretty big surprise when it comes to sorting who gets what . Mathews is trending to finish behind Tavares in goals and a distant second to Mitch in points , Mitch is trending to finish third all time behind Sittler and Dougie in points and people think Mathews is still getting this ground breaking contract .We'll see who shows up in the playoffs and if Mathews doesn't take over this team in the playoffs this year he can kiss any thoughts of being the highest paid player goodbye .

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I think everybody is in for a pretty big surprise when it comes to sorting who gets what . Mathews is trending to finish behind Tavares in goals and a distant second to Mitch in points , Mitch is trending to finish third all time behind Sittler and Dougie in points and people think Mathews is still getting this ground breaking contract .We'll see who shows up in the playoffs and if Mathews doesn't take over this team in the playoffs this year he can kiss any thoughts of being the highest paid player goodbye .
If Mitch got a lot more points than Auston and out performed Matthews in this season's playoffs, he could earn a more lucrative 8-year contract than Matthews. How surreal would that be?!

Also, at $11M annually, John Tavares leads the team in goals. Will Dubas and Shanny try to convince Auston's agent to a $11M annual salary?

Clearly, the pressure is on Matthews.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Matthews was injured and clear trend is centres (especially ones who score goals like Matthews) make more than wingers.

There’s no way marner will make as much (and this isn’t an insult, it’s just the way the market goes for contracts)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In terms of other players at who play Centre I say Matthews comparable is Eichel who got $10 million AAV on his second contract and some people can say McDavid is on the high end, however I can't see Matthews getting more than $12.5 million AAV.

With Marner a comparable as a winger would be Kucherov and why I used his $9.5 million AAV as an example.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Centers make more than wingers. Also true, Marner ain't your average winger, please wake up to this reality.

Reactions: diceman934

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Centers make more than wingers. Also true, Marner ain't your average winger, please wake up to this reality.

I don’t think anybody’s suggesting that, he’s likely already going to bbe come one of the league’s highest paid wingers immediately post ELC.

It’s just that he’s not going to make as much as Matthews.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don’t think anybody’s suggesting that, he’s likely already going to bbe come one of the league’s highest paid wingers immediately post ELC.

It’s just that he’s not going to make as much as Matthews.
I agree Matthews makes more money , it's more the comparables.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Like I said a lot of people are in for a big surprise if things end up the way they are trending so far . If Mathews doesn't take over the team and the games themselves in the playoffs he won't be getting the payday some people think . I can see them both signing for 9-10 million and Mitch being the actual loser in that deal .

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Comparing after tax contracts between Florida and Ontario is like comparing apples and oranges. One of my grandsons who plays minor pro hockey today in Canada has his primary home condo outside Tampa (he is a dual US citizen) so as to reduce his taxes paid. There is no state tax in Florida. It is pretty simple. Now there are a lot of other things involved that the accountant does looking at his flights and games played outside canada. But he looked at it as a resident of Ontario and as a Florida resident and it was a complete no brainer to be a Florida resident. He tells me he is up about 15 % better off take home pay wise resident in Florida. And he does the same thing being a corporation going on too. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not informed. The more money you make the more advantage you would get. And everyone pays taxes. There are no special exemptions.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Guess we'll see if/when he puts up that type of season. There'd still be differences in cap %, age, UFA years bought. Perhaps they'll cancel each other out though. Definitely hoping to get him signed long term as he's an incredibly important player.

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I know it was reported 13 mill but no one knows for sure how much and how many years, but I don't think Mathews is going to accept anything less than what JT is making.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I know it was reported 13 mill but no one knows for sure how much and how many years, but I don't think Mathews is going to accept anything less than what JT is making.

Tavares was a UFA, and for a player of his caliber, it's not difficult to grasp that he would get max term and top dollars...7 years from any other team...and 8 years from the Islanders...the Sharks and Islanders were also pushing hard after his services...he took less and signed with the Leafs.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
If Marner does end up asking for too much, I'm sure they'll just end up giving him a bridge deal just like Kucherov got.

Reactions: francis246

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
If Marner was willing to take a hometown discount, his deal would be done already. Its not happening.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Leafs can't afford to wait till Dec 1st, since we won't have the cap room to afford that prorated 1st year cap hit like we can Nylander's $10.2M this year. We're tight as is.

Not sure if they'll be worried to front-load it like they did Nylander anyways. That big $ they gave him makes his contract VERY attractive to trade. Poor teams can afford that contract after July 2nd.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure if they'll be worried to front-load it like they did Nylander anyways. That big $ they gave him makes his contract VERY attractive to trade. Poor teams can afford that contract after July 2nd.
They could also make it a signing bonus type of contract like Tavares got with his contract, which is something a lot of other teams don't like to do or afford.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Marners contract will likely have large early bonuses they did with Tavares' (he's getting near 30 million in signing bonus dollars over the first two years of his deal).

The Leafs probably will do this with all their big deals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad