Should Marner's next contract be similar to what Nikita Kucherov is getting?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hypothetically let's say Mitch Marner scores at least 100 points this season should his next contract be similar to what Nikita Kucherov got from Tampa Bay? Let's remember last season he scored 100 points and signed an 8 year contract with a $9.5 million AAV. I also know there is the no state tax in Florida and maybe it played a factor, however wouldn't Kyle Dubas look at the end result of that and use it when dealing with Marner's agent?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No he is an RFA without arb rights. Kucherov gave up more FA years Also please, 25g 100pts is not the same as 40g 100pts. Two assists per goal and a primary assist does not equal a goal most of the time. The fact that Tampa has a better tax situation is a great agent's argument in a non cap world, but following that logic other clubs would have to exceed Tampa money for the big contracts, and then run out of money because they weren't matching it on the smaller deals. That's a Florida advantage the rest of the league can't match.

This is the highest scoring season since 05-06. There are a dozen players on pace for 100pts and three on a pace for 120pts. There were only three guys with 100pts last season so the measuring stick needs to be moved a bit south for comparisons. Of course I would have bet my left nut Willie wouldn't get a $7M deal and here we are. I imagine Mitch gets closer to $8M than $10M but the non Tampa comps will have a big effect on that.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No he is an RFA without arb rights. Kucherov gave up more FA years Also please, 25g 100pts is not the same as 40g 100pts. Two assists per goal and a primary assist does not equal a goal most of the time. The fact that Tampa has a better tax situation is a great agent's argument in a non cap world, but following that logic other clubs would have to exceed Tampa money for the big contracts, and then run out of money because they weren't matching it on the smaller deals. That's a Florida advantage the rest of the league can't match.

This is the highest scoring season since 05-06. There are a dozen players on pace for 100pts and three on a pace for 120pts. There were only three guys with 100pts last season so the measuring stick needs to be moved a bit south for comparisons. Of course I would have bet my left nut Willie wouldn't get a $7M deal and here we are. I imagine Mitch gets closer to $8M than $10M but the non Tampa comps will have a big effect on that.
The other example of another contract that I can think of is Leon Draisaitl who signed that 8 year deal with a $8.5 million AAV after his ELC had finished and he was coming off a 77 point season. I also realize he got that contract from Peter Chiarelli and he's known to give out some bad deals in the past, however 1 year earlier Draisaitl had only 51 points and it looks like Marner will get more than 77 points this season.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The other example of another contract that I can think of is Leon Draisaitl who signed that 8 year deal with a $8.5 million AAV after his ELC had finished and he was coming off a 77 point season. I also realize he got that contract from Peter Chiarelli and he's known to give out some bad deals in the past, however 1 year earlier Draisaitl had only 51 points and it looks like Marner will get more than 77 points this season.
Not sure why anyone is worrying about that now. It doesn't affect this season. And the Leafs can sign everyone if they don't bring back Gardiner.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
8avv is fair IMO. ideally for 8 years.
Probably closer to Draisaitl, maybe up to $8.5 - 8.75 million. But it's all moot at this time. The season isn't complete, and scoring is up league wide.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. I have no idea where the Leafs are at on their sign today long term offer but I am fairly sure Marner would sign for 10M for 8 years now even if his agent is saying they will wait for season to end to negotiate. I hope this one does not go past camp next year. But it might.

Reactions: Morrison

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

The Draisaitl deal was a banner for badness. After the big playoff Chia thought they were going to have an 85pt power center the next season and dropped his pants. No way Leon gets close to that money if Pastrnak and Ehlers had signed first but its an overpay thats in the books now, just like Eichel and Nylander. The cap goes up X% and agents demand two or three times that number. I think the new Marner and Matthews deals will seal Willies fate although he needs to start scoring or nobody else will want him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Draisaitl deal was a banner for badness. After the big playoff Chia thought they were going to have an 85pt power center the next season and dropped his pants. No way Leon gets close to that money if Pastrnak and Ehlers had signed first but its an overpay thats in the books now, just like Eichel and Nylander. The cap goes up X% and agents demand two or three times that number. I think the new Marner and Matthews deals will seal Willies fate although he needs to start scoring or nobody else will want him.
Like I said before Chiarelli has a history of bad decisions and prior to the Draisaitl contract he also gave Lucic that horrible contract, so he is part of the blame for Nylander originally wanting $8.5 million. At least if Marner asked for that he would have deserved it with his play and point totals he's putting up.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
If Nylanders contract turns out to be a bargain yes Magic will make as much as Kucherov if not more. Mitch will be Leafs best new contract. Marner is the bluest of the Leafs and will take a discount not hijack ala Nylander.

1st sentence is laugh of the day.:laugh:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we got him for $9.5 that would be pretty good. He has an uncanny ability to put up points, and that kind of ability is premium.

Reactions: Confucius

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Let's stop this nonsense about state taxes. The very majority of Marner's "pay" isn't going to paid in personal taxes. IMO, Marner does deserve to paid as the 2nd highest winger in the league....,and that's what 9.5m would be. If Kucherov is a comparison, Kucherov had put up year of productive seasons before signing for 9.5m starting next year. Plus Kucherov was just one year away from being a UFA....Marner four. I know a player/agent will look at the top ends player and try to make that comparison, but in this case, the Leaf have many more comparables at a lower amount. But if there is great divide, negotiations could be ugly.
I never suggest that a player takes a hometown discount..but Marner might be a candidate. He is a Toronto boy. He has seen what god like status good Leaf players (Gilmour, Clark, Sundin) have achieved even with moderate team success. If Marner could ever win a Cup with the Leafs , and be long time Leafs he would be immortalized in LeafLand....forever and even longer.
Plus as suggested before, he can always sleep his parents basement. That saves him some money playing for the Leafs.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Let's stop this nonsense about state taxes. The very majority of Marner's "pay" isn't going to paid in personal taxes. IMO, Marner does deserve to paid as the 2nd highest winger in the league....,and that's what 9.5m would be. If Kucherov is a comparison, Kucherov had put up year of productive seasons before signing for 9.5m starting next year. Plus Kucherov was just one year away from being a UFA....Marner four. I know a player/agent will look at the top ends player and try to make that comparison, but in this case, the Leaf have many more comparables at a lower amount. But if there is great divide, negotiations could be ugly.
I never suggest that a player takes a hometown discount..but Marner might be a candidate. He is a Toronto boy. He has seen what god like status good Leaf players (Gilmour, Clark, Sundin) have achieved even with moderate team success. If Marner could ever win a Cup with the Leafs , and be long time Leafs he would be immortalized in LeafLand....forever and even longer.
Plus as suggested before, he can always sleep his parents basement. That saves him some money playing for the Leafs.
Marner is going to get paid. The only way his isn't over 9 is if he takes lower term. 8-8.5 for 8 years is long gone.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
9-10 Imo. If Matthews is getting 11 or w.e Marner can't be too far behind. You also have to take into account how much your players on the own team are making are going to make.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
9-9.5 I'm happy. He's also on the PK now, he's top 10 in takeaways, he's the complete package. Under 10, good value.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs can't afford to wait till Dec 1st, since we won't have the cap room to afford that prorated 1st year cap hit like we can Nylander's $10.2M this year. We're tight as is.
Guess he has Dubas over a barrel. whatever he asks he's getting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad