Proposal: Should Marc Bergevin pull a Lou Lamoriello?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Why are the Habs third in their division and fairly close to second? It has a lot to do with the competition. The Wings have crippling injuries. The Leafs are shaky defensively. The Bolts were without Stamkos for a long time. The Panthers are noncompetitive. The Jackets are pretty good. The Sabres are inadequate. The Bruins are on another level, as the Habs will soon find out.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You could see the difference in coaching styles tonight.

The Leafs were very aggressive on the forecheck and it led to goals and shots off of the iron.

The Habs were very passive and it allowed the Leafs to dictate the play for most of the night.

That is the difference. With Price playing well, we win. Thankfully Reimer played like ****.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

We are building something strong with this team, it would be a shame to re-do all over again.

You guys aren't happy we finally found an identity?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The main problem is who do you replace him with right now? The pickings are slim due to the French thing. So you have that, then you have to explain to the fanbase why you fired a coach who has had a good record. Can't get rid of him.until the team starts losing a lot or gets swept in the playoffs. Still, even if we got swept I could see him being back.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Passive hockey?

No thanks. We had that with Martin and it was a failure.

Price wasn't really good during last playoffs. That means he will still be not good enough for the upcoming playoffs, right?

Also, remember 2010?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Price wasn't really good during last playoffs. That means he will still be not good enough for the upcoming playoffs, right?

Also, remember 2010?

2010 was Halak stopping 40-50 shots on many nights.

That is not a winning approach to win the Cup.

We are far more talented than the Leafs. If we played the Leafs game of aggressive hockey, the Habs would have a legit shot at competing for the Cup........or at least win the East to make it to the Cup Finals.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

2010 was Halak stopping 40-50 shots on many nights.

That is not a winning approach to win the Cup.

We are far more talented than the Leafs. If we played the Leafs game of aggressive hockey, the Habs would have a legit shot at competing for the Cup........or at least win the East to make it to the Cup Finals.

Weak.

You guys can't see how MT and the staff turned the Habs into a playoffs team.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

We will disagree then.

Habs can be agressive if they want to, but hockey is a mistake game, so they play a passive game until the opposition take a penalty or give them some space, which will lead them to use their strenghts (pp + garbage goals) to capaitalize on their scoring chances.

Montreal doesn't need to play with emotion, they play a structural and calculated game, which is almost like the way Team Canada played during Sochi.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Solid argument, A+.

I like to argue, sometimes. I actually think MT does well enough with what he has, especially with the D-core. A no. 4 d-man will be MB's priority this summer.
Bouillon, Murray, Weaver, Tinordi and Emelin are 6th d-men this season, and MT created something solid with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
So, if it wasn't for that bum Therrien, where would we be in the standings? As good as the Bruins?

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
So, if it wasn't for that bum Therrien, where would we be in the standings? As good as the Bruins?

Someone (I forget who) described MT's style of coaching : "Lui, en gros, c't'un presseux d'citron" ; I don't know how to even translate it : his thing is being the guy squeezing lemons to get the juice out ?

Anyhoo, my point is : I'm not unsatisfied with the standings or the number of wins. I'm disenchanted when I see the total lack of coherence in his coaching decisions, especially personnel wise. We fight hard but we're all over the place, with very little structure or identity. At game 72, players keep rolling in and out of the line-up, up and down from hamilton, changing roles and ice-time following any whimsies the coach may feel

In a few word, we haven't been building towards anything. In a 7 gms series, a team that lacks structure and identity is bound to be exposed. And I fear we will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad