Should MacKinnon center one of Canada’s top two lines in Beijing?

Should MacKinnon center one of Canada’s top two lines at the Beijing Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This year’s Hart Trophy finalist MacKinnon has been Canada’s second-highest scoring Center over the last three regular seasons. In the playoffs, he has been Canada’s best Center over that same timespan.

Do you move him to 3C/wing? Or do you keep him at Center in Canada’s top 6? It’s a great problem for Team Canada to have.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I'd go:

XXXXX-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron

I'm not sure who would fill the XXXX spot, but this is just a quick outline of what I'd do.
Agree with this. I'm sure most fans realize Mackinnon is a much better player than Crosby is at this point his career, but no chance you don't try out the Marchand/Crosby/Bergeron line considering how good their chemistry was. And there's also no way Crosby or Marchand belong on the 3rd line.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Agree with this. I'm sure most fans realize Mackinnon is a much better player than Crosby is at this point his career, but no chance you don't try out the Marchand/Crosby/Bergeron line considering how good their chemistry was. And there's also no way Crosby or Marchand belong on the 3rd line.

Bergeron will be 36 by the time the Olympics roll around, and has already lost a step from 2-3 years ago. I‘m Canadian and wouldn’t want him in my top 6.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
No. Put him on McDavid's wing and Sid centers the other line. Then Point and RoR as the other 2 centers

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Team Canada doesn't have a top 6 and bottom 6. All 4 lines will get decent ice time. McDavid should run one line, MacKinnon another, Crosby another (with Marchand and Bergeron) and Couturier or ROR another. Whether MacKinnon is the "center" of his line will depend on linemates but I don't think you put McDavid-MacKinnon together unless the offense isn't working. Officially I suppose he'd be the 2nd line, but I mean the Toews line played the most in 2010 so who knows how things will shake out in a short tourney.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, sure i guess. I don't know that Canada has a real clear cut 1/2/3 sort of hierarchy as it stands right now. More just...3 guys who ought to be locks to center their own scoring line, and then presumably a 4th guy to center more of a "checking line" of sorts.

-There's no reason not to go back to the well with Crosby centering Marchand and Bergeron.

-McDavid is a guy who you probably want playing "center" offensively speaking, maximizing his opportunity to use speed in transition. But with another converted center on at least one wing, to share some of the heavy lifting, faceoffs, etc.

-MacKinnon is the other guy i think you want to keep in the middle where he can really maximize his speed in transition as a weapon. He's shown he can make things work on the wing as well, but it's hard to argue he's not one of the 3 best guys to have in the middle right now, and i think you want to keep him and McDavey on separate lines anyway, so they're not both fighting over who gets to go end-to-end rushing the puck. Give MacKinnon a playmaking winger like Huberdeau as a stand-in for Rantanen, and profit imo.

So yeah...i don't know if that qualifies as one of the "top two lines"...but for all intents and purposes, sure.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
1st like winger on McDavids line.

I absolutely cannot wait to see these two together on the big ice in transition.

The reality is though Canada goes wave after wave with their lines. Pretty much any line can get hot and be the “1st line” when you have a team as deep as Canada is up front.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
You can't really view a team Canada Olympic roster as having a third line. You're gonna roll the top three fairly evenly

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
McDavid/MacKinnon/Crosby will be the three Canadian Olympic centers (with a fourth line of grinder types) and the forward core will be built around how well other players complement those three.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad