Should MacKinnon center one of Canada’s top two lines in Beijing?

Should MacKinnon center one of Canada’s top two lines at the Beijing Olympics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What about Mackinnon at centre, Mcdavid on the wing and Stone on the other wing? Mackinnon is more responsible defensively and tends to play much lower in the D Zone. I don’t know if Mcdavid has much experience playing wing but Mackinnon has historically been quite bad on the wing.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Had a bad day? Pour your hate on me. What I’m suggesting should seriously anger you.

McDavid - Huberdeau - MacKinnon

McDavid is basically half a winger
Mac has killed it on RW
Huby played C in JRs where he won championship

Huby with Mac to his right, and McDavid to his left? Would elevate him beyond Gretzky.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He should be on one of the top two lines. Wouldn't mind him at RW at all but it's fine if he's at centre.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d like to see MacKinnon - McDavid - Stone. The two speedsters should have a defensive minded winger with them.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I would want the puck on McDavid's and MacKinnon's (and Crosby's) sticks as much as possible, and you would get that by cycling the offense through them at the center position on separate lines. McDavid is a center, and MacKinnon hasn't played the wing since very early in his career; why would a coach ask them to play a position that they're largely unfamiliar with in a short, high-pressure/high-stakes situation like the Olympics? Sometimes the best answer is the most obvious one.

At this point in his career, I think Crosby could do with a puck carrier on his line to lug the puck up the ice through the neutral zone and gain offensive zone entries. Crosby's speed ain't what it was, so he's better when the puck's already in the offensive zone and can cycle and use his puck protection to generate chances. But he'd need someone to get the puck into the zone for him to work his magic.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I'd go:

XXXXX-McDavid-MacKinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron

I'm not sure who would fill the XXXX spot, but this is just a quick outline of what I'd do.
Stamkos maybe.

I'd go depth and run McDavid-MacKinnon-Crosby down the middle and pair Stone, Point and Bergeron with them for that extra defense on their line.

Stamkos-McDavid-Stone
Huberdeau-Mackinnon-Point
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
ROR-Couterier-Barzal

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Did couturier die or do you actually have Danault above him lol
Danault has been insane... legit shutdown Matthews-Marner to 1 goal and then did it vs the Jets and now Vegas. He's elite defensively. Maybe top 5 in the world defensively. I like Couturier though a lot.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
At this point in his career, I think Crosby could do with a puck carrier on his line to lug the puck up the ice through the neutral zone and gain offensive zone entries. Crosby's speed ain't what it was, so he's better when the puck's already in the offensive zone and can cycle and use his puck protection to generate chances. But he'd need someone to get the puck into the zone for him to work his magic.

Getting a puck carrier onto Crosby's line would mean removing either Bergeron or Marchand as one of his wingers. Depending on how Bergeron looks at the beginning of next season (he's turning 36 this summer, with a lot of mileage on him), I could see them replacing Bergeron with MacKinnon, and moving Bergeron to a more defensive role. Crosby, MacKinnon and Marchand train together in the off-season, so its possible they have some familiarity with each other. You lose the chemistry that Crosby and Bergeron (and Marchand) have always had together, and the elite RHS/LHS faceoff ability, but you get more speed and dynamic offensive ability with MacKinnon. Tough call, really.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I’m actually really surprised by the results. Obviously McDavid is the top line center, but then I feel like you have to at the very least start out with Crosby as the 2C. He’s not that old, and he hasn’t been that far behind MacKinnon the last couple years. If he doesn’t produce, maybe move him to wing or 3C, but he’s earned the opportunity

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Also, to the question at hand, it shouldn't matter what line McDavid, Crosby or MacKinnon are on - the top three lines should receive relatively even amounts of ice time, if the recent past is any indication. the 4th line has gotten relatively limited ice time in recent tournaments, generally under 10 minutes per game. For instance, in 2014, the leaders in ice times for forwards in the semifinal game vs. the United States were Carter (18:14, as the "2nd line" RW) and Crosby (17:49, as the "1st line" C). In the gold medal final vs. Sweden, Toews led forwards in ice time (19:13, as the "2nd line" C) followed by Getzlaf (18:00, as the "3rd line" C). So really, it doesn't matter.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think he will, but also, would love to see him on McDavid's wing.
These guys play at an insane speed. I think they'd lead Olympic scoring by a mile.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I’m actually really surprised by the results. Obviously McDavid is the top line center, but then I feel like you have to at the very least start out with Crosby as the 2C. He’s not that old, and he hasn’t been that far behind MacKinnon the last couple years. If he doesn’t produce, maybe move him to wing or 3C, but he’s earned the opportunity

I get where you're coming from, but MacKinnon has outperformed Crosby for two years straight, and the start of next season will most likely be the third straight year. The gap is only going to get wider from here, and MacKinnon is a playoff beast to boot.

At some point, you've got to let go of the grace period and give the best players in the league today their hard-earned roles.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I get where you're coming from, but MacKinnon has outperformed Crosby for two years straight, and the start of next season will most likely be the third straight year. The gap is only going to get wider from here, and MacKinnon is a playoff beast to boot.

At some point, you've got to let go of the grace period and give the best players in the league today their hard-earned roles.

The thing is, guys like Crosby and Bergeron play more complete games, so it’s not like Crosby is THAT far behind MacKinnon. And is using MacKinnon on McDavid’s wing really a punishment?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yes

ObviouslyI want Crosby has my shutdown C on the third line

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Dunno how you can send Canadian hockey players to a country that has two Canadians imprisoned for “spying”. These guys have been basically swept away to never be heard from again. How can you go play hockey there knowing there’s political prisoners from your own country being mistreated for years just down the road?

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Dunno how you can send Canadian hockey players to a country that has two Canadians imprisoned for “spying”. These guys have been basically swept away to never be heard from again. How can you go play hockey there knowing there’s political prisoners from your own country being mistreated for years just down the road?

I, and most people I talk to, would fully support a Canadian boycott of the Beijing Olympics. I don't really see any argument to the contrary.

We should pull out of Tokyo too, for completely different reasons.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
I think a line of Marchand-Crosby-MacKinnon would be unreal. The other team would never have the puck.

Then slot Bergeron on an elite shutdown line with O'Reilly and Stone.

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
Danault has been insane... legit shutdown Matthews-Marner to 1 goal and then did it vs the Jets and now Vegas. He's elite defensively. Maybe top 5 in the world defensively. I like Couturier though a lot.
Danault is has been great defensively these playoffs, but he's pretty 1 dimensional compared to everyone else on the team. IMO he has no business on the Canada roster. If Canada needs defensive centers they have 3 Selke winners in Bergeron, ROR, or Couturier who can also score.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Danault is has been great defensively these playoffs, but he's pretty 1 dimensional compared to everyone else on the team. IMO he has no business on the Canada roster. If Canada needs defensive centers they have 3 Selke winners in Bergeron, ROR, or Couturier who can also score.
Imagine Couturier-Danault-Bergeron defensively though.

Reactions: jetsjetsjets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad