• Yes

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
There is always a team willing to take cap dumps for assets, and as long as they don't give a first or 2nd in the draft to get it done, it's a win. The Oilers absolutely do not need more dead cap space though, that should be a complete non-starter considering the Oilers are showing they can compete in the playoffs, but still need to get better to take the next step(aka, they need every bit of cap space they can get)

He supposedly almost got moved last year, but it was the Oilers who were wary of losing his toughness and ability to move up into the top 6. I suspect whatever left over belief that Kassian can make an impact has run out, and the organization will finally get over their reluctance to move him and punt him to the curb in the offseason.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Trade him to the Ducks, they need some “toughness“.

Maybe they look at what the Rangers did last offseason adding some size and toughness to their lineup.

The current Ducks lineup is nothing like those old Ducks teams that used to dominate the Pacific.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
At this point I think it has to at least be a if he can't be dumped on someone. Our cap situation is at its worst next year, but then Keith comes off. Then the players should have the covid crisis paid off in 2024-25 so the cap should see a big bump during the penalty years of the buyout. So I guess the $2.5M savings next season is likely more valuable to us than the $1M in penalties in 2024-26.

All that said, overall for the four years it would still cost $3.8 million dollars in cap space, so I'd likely be more inclined to offer him up with significant retention as it would still save at least $1.6M each year over the next two years, and you'd think some team might take a flyer on him at $1.6M.

That's actually not a terrible backup plan. Buying him out only saves $2M over the next 4 years, so you're really not any further ahead buying him out vs. burying. Particularly in Year 2 as the buyout savings are only $1.3M. Next year is the only real advantage as $2.5 would be nice for next year.
Sure, I mean the ability to bury some cap space in the minors is partially a "cap space mistake forgiveness clause" albeit in relatively small quantities.

The problem is that Holland would have to tell Kassian "I'm sorry but we are sending you to the minors" and I just don't see that happening. He is afraid of offending veterans.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Was a fan of early Oilers Kassian but he’s more or less done and nothing close to value. Needs to be moved

However, I wonder how soft this team will be with him and Kane gone in the same offseason. Can’t just do what the Flames did and get some 4th liner / bottom pair plugs and hope that’s enough.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As I and many other have said.

No more Buyouts!!!!!!

Retention and a depth pick to move him somewhere at the worst. But really, I don't see how someone doesn't take a gamble on him even with his current salary/play if we throw in a pick and take a contract back that we can bury without a cap hit.

Or as part of a bigger package.

This offseason Kenny has put himself into deep shit and he is going need far more than his usual buyouts and overpays to get out of it.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I was told by Bob Stauffer that really really good GM Ken Holland protected him at expansion draft b/c he had positive trade value and some teams out East wanted him? Why is he still on the team then?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
By the time you take the buyout hit and replace him with someone, we aren’t saving much on his $3.2M hit. We are almost certainly parting ways with Archibald and I doubt Bourgault is ready, so depth-wise Zach isn’t blocking anybody. If we decide we have a better option, he does have some unique qualities that some GMs like, and which are in short supply in this kinder and gentler league. If we do decide to get rid of him, we should be able to do so in a trade at lesser cost than a pure buyout. My opinion right now, is no. No to a buyout.

Reactions: McDNicks17

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
No more buyouts. Just trade him. There is a market.
Not no more, I think. Not a tough guy no more. Not a good hockey player no more. Probably concussion damaged and gives little effort most games. Any team can fill the role he used to provide with younger cheaper and better options.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Holland has already bought out 2 contracts. He needs to show some gm skills to get rid of Kassian.

Even chairelli had the ability to get rid of a bad contract like scrivens who turned into Kassian at a low cap hit. It was Holland who gave him this awful contract.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
He only has 2 more years left on his contract, add a 2nd round pick and hope someone accepts.

That punk took the money and refuse to honor a lick of it on the ice, I can't remember the last time he had a hit in a game.

Reactions: redgrant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad