Should Kassian be bought out during the off season

• Yes

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We should be trading an asset for someone to eat the contract, but if forced into only the options of keep or buy-out, I would buy him out.

We need the cap space really badly and we are in a window where we should be striving to be competitive as possible (within reason).

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
We should be trading an asset for someone to eat the contract, but if forced into only the options of keep or buy-out, I would buy him out.

We need the cap space really badly and we are in a window where we should be striving to be competitive as possible (within reason).
I agree with you. The Oilers are top 4 team in the NHL. We have a shot to win the cup this year and many years to come. We must keep contending year after year. I am afraid that we do not have enough pics left to close the deal you suggested (without taking the salary back)

Reactions: MessierII

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He needs to be moved. If we can somehow trade him without taking an equally bad or worse player back we must. If there are no suitors then buy him out. I'm beyond done with this player here. Buy him out and sign Deslauriers as his replacement.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
He needs to be moved. If we can somehow trade him without taking an equally bad or worse player back we must. If there are no suitors then buy him out. I'm beyond done with this player here. Buy him out and sign Deslauriers as his replacement.
I agree he should go but 4 years on the dead money list isn't a pleasant thought.

I think you could bury 1.25M in the minors? which makes it more palatable but Holland just doesn't do things like that with veterans.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Zach had a good run and an amazing revival to his career (and life).

But the fire is gone, the competitiveness is gone, and the legs are a step behind.

Dead weight on this team and he needs to go one way or another.

We save enough money next year and the year after to bridge Yama-Jarvi. After that we have a penalty about the size of league minimum, which means we need one extra player at league minimum/ELC and one less player making $2M.

Ask yourself which scenario is better:
A) Kassian stays and one of Pulju or Yama needs to be traded
B) Kassian traded and we lose a 2nd+3rd to make it happen, and save $6M over for the next two years and keep both Yama/Pulju and Foegele
C) Kassian bought out, we lose no picks, it saves us $4.5M over the next two years (to bridge both Yama and Pulju) and in year 3 & 4 there is a $966K penalty. The impact of that penalty is that a player like Foegele needs to be traded and replaced with Lavoie/Savoie or someone else on an ELC.

To me either of B or C are just fine, and I almost prefer C, since I want those picks available at the deadline.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
At this point I think it has to at least be a if he can't be dumped on someone. Our cap situation is at its worst next year, but then Keith comes off. Then the players should have the covid crisis paid off in 2024-25 so the cap should see a big bump during the penalty years of the buyout. So I guess the $2.5M savings next season is likely more valuable to us than the $1M in penalties in 2024-26.

All that said, overall for the four years it would still cost $3.8 million dollars in cap space, so I'd likely be more inclined to offer him up with significant retention as it would still save at least $1.6M each year over the next two years, and you'd think some team might take a flyer on him at $1.6M.

I agree he should go but 4 years on the dead money list isn't a pleasant thought.

I think you could bury 1.25M in the minors? which makes it more palatable but Holland just doesn't do things like that with veterans.
That's actually not a terrible backup plan. Buying him out only saves $2M over the next 4 years, so you're really not any further ahead buying him out vs. burying. Particularly in Year 2 as the buyout savings are only $1.3M. Next year is the only real advantage as $2.5 would be nice for next year.

Reactions: MoontoScott

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
We desperately need his cap space cleared this summer, especially if we want to re-sign Kane. The best scenario is that Holland trades him with a draft pick as a cap dump. It sucks losing a draft pick, but would you rather have Kassian + draft pick or Kane?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
We desperately need his cap space cleared this summer, especially if we want to re-sign Kane. The best scenario is that Holland trades him with a draft pick as a cap dump. It sucks losing a draft pick, but would you rather have Kassian + draft pick or Kane?
We're not keeping Kane if there's any truth to the $7M numbers. This is Kane's last real chance to recoup his money and even get more so he has to do it. Signing on the cheap for another year with the Oilers puts all the risk on him and likely costs him 8 figures in career earnings. Loyalty can only go so far.

Reactions: McDoused

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kassian definitely needs to be moved, but a trade is the best and nearly only option. We have enough junk buried in the basement as it is. And I can see Barrie being moved too. We're stuck with the Keith contract if he wants to stay. Puljo is one I'm on the fence about regarding signing him. He hasn't done himself any favours with his play, despite him being one of the analytics darlings.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Absolutely not. We have 4.1M in dead cap, basically Nurses raise sitting there. Why are we adding more shit to that pile?

Package him with a 2nd or a 3rd and one of our numerous prospects that aren't really doing anything but marinating in the minors. Its not that expensive to get rid of an energy guy that has some points and can fight. Buying him out is a disaster, after next year we finally have Sekera and Lucic coming off the books and then two more years of the James Neal fail.

If we want a competitive team, we need our ELC's to take the next step and stop adding dead cap. Only way this team improves next year is we likely dump an RFA to make room for Kane, and Broberg, Holloway, Skinner all make the jump. Otherwise its probably playoffs +1 or 2 rounds.

Get rid of:
Kass

You'll have 10-11 in capspace. Should be able to bring back these people with that:

McLeod
Yamo
Pulju
Kane
Kulak

If Kane is looking for more than 6 we can't afford him without getting rid of Barrie anyways. I'd say if we are getting rid of Barrie, add a 1st to him for an upgrade on D. Barrie+Kass+2nd/1st for Chychrun? Idk how much value Barrie has but that gives us net cap space back for Kass and Chych is better defensively than Barrie at the same cost + signed medium term.

Should be just under the cap with Broberg, Skinner, and Holloway full time. Dont bring back Russell. Kulak needs to be resigned, he actually attempts to play D

Last edited:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
He can barely take a pass out there anymore and when he does, he cant keep possession of it for more than 2 seconds.

He’s been a warrior for us but the game has gone past him at this point.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think our 5M GM has to figure out a way to move him.

I don't have confidence he'll be able to figure it out. See his rant on the Keith trade below.

Edmonton Oilers GM Ken Holland on the price he paid for Duncan Keith: "It's hard to squeeze people in this league"
Asked by Daniel Nugent-Bowman of The Athletic whether he could have done better on the Keith deal, Holland said, “What, do you want me to get him for free? You want a lesser price? You want Caleb Jones? You don’t want the draft pick? You want them to retain 50 per cent? Which would you like me to do? Do you want me to get them to retain money? Or do you think I paid too high a price with Caleb Jones and a third round pick?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Kassian definitely needs to be moved, but a trade is the best and nearly only option. We have enough junk buried in the basement as it is. And I can see Barrie being moved too. We're stuck with the Keith contract if he wants to stay. Puljo is one I'm on the fence about regarding signing him. He hasn't done himself any favours with his play, despite him being one of the analytics darlings.

I can see a move where Kass and JP get moved together for some lamo pick.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I don't have confidence he'll be able to figure it out. See his rant on the Keith trade below.

Edmonton Oilers GM Ken Holland on the price he paid for Duncan Keith: "It's hard to squeeze people in this league"

I dont disagree with you.

Thats one of my issues with Holland. I think hes done more good than bad. But I also dont see a lot of creativity or ability to remedy things.

In the rumours thread, I mentioned one of my questions is what Does Holland even think of this team? Who does he even want to move? Part of me even wonders if he thinks Kassian should be moved. It wouldnt surprise me if he thinks Kassian is a important piece to the team. The cap situation probably is going to force him to do something though.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
And if Kane asks too much we will use money for a goalie. I am not covinced that Smith can win the cup for us in 22-23 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad