Should Havlat play

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
After thinking about this and looking at some of the Havlat replays from games like Colorado I do feel he is actually getting back into his game. That break away in particular was a nice display of speed.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him on the 4th line, and I know many would probably disagree with me. However, Desi has shown when put with people who can do it, he is a capable playmaker. Shep/Torres can drive possession as well.

Perhaps a bottom 6 of:
Torres/Shep - Pavs - Wingels
Torres/Shep - Desi - Havlat

I still think his injuries have been a shame, because when healthy (like the way he looked in Colorado), he can definitely be a difference maker. His body is just failing him though.

TealTownUSA

Mar 30, 2010
Havlat should play if people are banged up and need a rest. This is how you use depth properly.

i agree. we need the depth in the long playoff run because of the physicality teams put on us. they know that's their only shot. having havlat and kennedy is good insurance.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
He'll play in the later rounds when we have inevitable injury problems. As will Kennedy.

He's awesome for teams that play finesse... Oh wait there are like zero this playoffs. I guess Colorado? He wouldn't last a full game against Dallas or Anaheim. Perry's strong suit is groins

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
He's awesome for teams that play finesse... Oh wait there are like zero this playoffs. I guess Colorado? He wouldn't last a full game against Dallas or Anaheim. Perry's strong suit is groins

I don't think it's so much against finesse teams as it is against teams that don't have much neutral or defensive zone structure. Havlat's vision and hands are still really good so when teams give him time/space he can be very effective but the problem is that (like you said) aside from COL there aren't really any teams like that playing in the Western Conf.

That said, Havlat and Kennedy are both very likely to get into a game at some point.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The only team whose physicality is a legitimate concern is Los Angeles in the west. Anaheim's no more physcial than the Sharks and none of the Central teams are physical to a point of concern.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

I don't think it's so much against finesse teams as it is against teams that don't have much neutral or defensive zone structure. Havlat's vision and hands are still really good so when teams give him time/space he can be very effective but the problem is that (like you said) aside from COL there aren't really any teams like that playing in the Western Conf.

That said, Havlat and Kennedy are both very likely to get into a game at some point.

I would have thought the same, but I got curious and checked. He's been on the score sheet in games against Col, Dal, LA, STL, ANA. He has not scored against Chicago.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I would have thought the same, but I got curious and checked. He's been on the score sheet in games against Col, Dal, LA, STL, ANA. He has not scored against Chicago.

It isn't all about production for me.

He's certainly has some good games this season but with the way the Sharks are playing now his current style of play just doesn't fit all that well in my opinion.

Last edited:

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
He'll play in the later rounds when we have inevitable injury problems. As will Kennedy.

When there is the the opportunity to finish of a team early, in order to limit injuries it should be followed through as quickly as possible. For us, it would be a GREAT resting point for the likes of the recently returned from injuries Torres and Hertl. The way the squad is performing, no need to touch anything at this point. If the team hits an offensive wall at some point (which we hope they will not), Havlat will be the one to call upon. I could only see Kennedy replace the likes of Sheppard at this point if Shep doesn't pick up his game again as he had in the later part of the season.

Blues and Hawks concern me.

The Blues are actually a very physical team. We are a far more talented squad and, our speed could/should overwhelm them. But on the topic of physicality, the Blues definitely are one of those squads.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
When there is the the opportunity to finish of a team early, in order to limit injuries it should be followed through as quickly as possible. For us, it would be a GREAT resting point for the likes of the recently returned from injuries Torres and Hertl. The way the squad is performing, no need to touch anything at this point. If the team hits an offensive wall at some point (which we hope they will not), Havlat will be the one to call upon. I could only see Kennedy replace the likes of Sheppard at this point if Shep doesn't pick up his game again as he had in the later part of the season.

The Blues are actually a very physical team. We are a far more talented squad and, our speed could/should overwhelm them. But on the topic of physicality, the Blues definitely are one of those squads.
They blew out the Blues early in the year with the same up-tempo game that nailed LA in the first two games of the series. However, the Blues have changed up their game of years past this season. They themselves are much more up-tempo. And, Hitch finally got better at putting together a PP.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
They blew out the Blues early in the year with the same up-tempo game that nailed LA in the first two games of the series. However, the Blues have changed up their game of years past this season. They themselves are much more up-tempo. And, Hitch finally got better at putting together a PP.

When watching the Blues vs Hawks series last night, I was definitely surprised by the Blues and their speed.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

Sheppard's game has been fine. He's been physical, possession is great, and he's drawn penalties.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
When watching the Blues vs Hawks series last night, I was definitely surprised by the Blues and their speed.

When they did that article on clean entries over a year ago, the Blues were bottom of the league. I am sure they are much, much better. Speed obtains clean entries.

I have watched too and I am not so sure that the matchup would be as lopsided in the Sharks favor now as it was at the outset of the season.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
When they did that article on clean entries over a year ago, the Blues were bottom of the league. I am sure they are much, much better. Speed obtains clean entries.

I have watched too and I am not so sure that the matchup would be as lopsided in the Sharks favor now as it was at the outset of the season.

That Blues / Hawks game last night was fast. Just as fast as Sharks/ Kings. Either team would be tough.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I'd be curious to see Havlat play. I keep wondering if he was holding back most of the season to make sure he would be healthy for the playoffs. If he gets into a game, I think we might see him play/skate harder than we've ever seen him in teal.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I don't think the Blues will make it out of the 1st round.

Then again, we're still not 100% sure that we will either

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
After thinking about this and looking at some of the Havlat replays from games like Colorado I do feel he is actually getting back into his game. That break away in particular was a nice display of speed.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him on the 4th line, and I know many would probably disagree with me. However, Desi has shown when put with people who can do it, he is a capable playmaker. Shep/Torres can drive possession as well.

Perhaps a bottom 6 of:
Torres/Shep - Pavs - Wingels
Torres/Shep - Desi - Havlat

I still think his injuries have been a shame, because when healthy (like the way he looked in Colorado), he can definitely be a difference maker. His body is just failing him though.

worst idea ever. How can you put a guy like Havlat on a grinding, energy line?? I'm baffled by this. If we HAD to put Havlat in, he's in the top 9 and there's no question about it. The guy has been scoring off opportunities from skilled line mates who's job is to score, not to reek havoc on the other team.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I'd be curious to see Havlat play. I keep wondering if he was holding back most of the season to make sure he would be healthy for the playoffs. If he gets into a game, I think we might see him play/skate harder than we've ever seen him in teal.

Why do you think this? Why does ANYONE think this? He had a better second half to this season than he has had with us ever but thats still mediocre at best? Why do people suddenly think he's going to turn it on and be the mach 9 he was in chicago/ottawa? I just don't understand some of you guys. have you forgotten how terribly inconsistent he is?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Why do you think this? Why does ANYONE think this? He had a better second half to this season than he has had with us ever but thats still mediocre at best? Why do people suddenly think he's going to turn it on and be the mach 9 he was in chicago/ottawa? I just don't understand some of you guys. have you forgotten how terribly inconsistent he is?

I didn't say any of that. So, not sure what your gripe is. Him skating his best in teal is all I said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad