Should Havlat play

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
That is why I say the road to the conference and cup finals goes through Niemi. TMac is just not willing to dump Niemi for Stalock and said so at a presser. The Sharks have the best offense in the league. They are stacked with speed and scorers. Their defense is good, but not the best in the league. Niemi has to rise to the occasion and be that brick in the wall.

But will he? He's looked okay in these first 2 games. The Sharks (as usual) have been staying out of the box, so he hasnt been tested a whole lot. He's allowed 5 even strength goals in 2 games.

Considering how both Stalock and Niemi have played this season, I dont think TMac should be married to Niemi as his starter. Stalock should still be considered an option just like how Havlat and Irwin are options.

Niemi still makes me nervous.

Should the Sharks advance they are going to see much better offensive teams like Anaheim, Colorado and Chicago.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
But will he? He's looked okay in these first 2 games. The Sharks (as usual) have been staying out of the box, so he hasnt been tested a whole lot. He's allowed 5 even strength goals in 2 games.

Considering how both Stalock and Niemi have played this season, I dont think TMac should be married to Niemi as his starter. Stalock should still be considered an option just like how Havlat and Irwin are options.

Niemi still makes me nervous.

Should the Sharks advance they are going to see much better offensive teams like Anaheim, Colorado and Chicago.

Niemi is a more positionally sound goaltender than Stalock.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Niemi is a more positionally sound goaltender than Stalock.

Not really. They're both pretty much the same positionally. The Muzzin goal that happened was poor positioning due to how he decided to handle the screen in front. He's let in quite a few short-side goals due to his poor positioning this year. Niemi's positioning last year was phenomenal but I think he's not adjusted very well to the pad changes or just isn't focused. And Stalock is better positionally than people give him credit for. Just because he's athletic doesn't mean he's off positionally.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I know there are different strategies on the road, but I really want to see Brown rewarded for having the best game of his career last night. You just don't sit a guy who had that kind of game in the next game, home or away. Also, that Fourth line has chemistry, and haven't the Sharks always had issues with 4th line chemistry. It sucks to ruin a good thing at this point, and unfortunately Havlat is the odd man out. That also sucks too because of his performances in the final two games of the season. Depth does have its disadvantages it seems.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
All I can hope for with Havlat is that he comes in pissed off and meaning than heck ready to show us what he's got. That game where he scored a hatty he literally showed no joy after each goal - barely celebrating. It is clear that he is ticked off. Unfortunately, if he played the whole year like he did some of those later games he would probably be in the lineup today.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
All I can hope for with Havlat is that he comes in pissed off and meaning than heck ready to show us what he's got. That game where he scored a hatty he literally showed no joy after each goal - barely celebrating. It is clear that he is ticked off. Unfortunately, if he played the whole year like he did some of those later games he would probably be in the lineup today.

If he wants to play he needs to stop getting hurt. It's certainly not the Sharks fault and it's not their responsibility to supply him a position and take someone else out of the lineup for the game or two he feels like playing here and there.

I like the guy, and it sucks for him I'm sure, but the Sharks owe him nothing. They've been paying him $5m a season to rehab for two years straight, he should be happy they even give him any ice time and don't just bench him in order to buy him out.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know there are different strategies on the road, but I really want to see Brown rewarded for having the best game of his career last night. You just don't sit a guy who had that kind of game in the next game, home or away. Also, that Fourth line has chemistry, and haven't the Sharks always had issues with 4th line chemistry. It sucks to ruin a good thing at this point, and unfortunately Havlat is the odd man out. That also sucks too because of his performances in the final two games of the season. Depth does have its disadvantages it seems.

That's why I would put Havlat in for Sheppard. Brown's earned another game and even though Sheppard is tied for second in scoring for the club, he hasn't been all that good.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
That's why I would put Havlat in for Sheppard. Brown's earned another game and even though Sheppard is tied for second in scoring for the club, he hasn't been all that good.

Havlat pavs wingels. Don't want to move nieto. Him and marleau look great together. Dont wanna mess with fourth either.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Havlat pavs wingels. Don't want to move nieto. Him and marleau look great together. Dont wanna mess with fourth either.

Except Havlat has looked bad when he has been with Pavs.. The only place he has looked okay is on the second line, but Nieto has made that position his own.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
If he wants to play he needs to stop getting hurt. It's certainly not the Sharks fault and it's not their responsibility to supply him a position and take someone else out of the lineup for the game or two he feels like playing here and there.

I like the guy, and it sucks for him I'm sure, but the Sharks owe him nothing. They've been paying him $5m a season to rehab for two years straight, he should be happy they even give him any ice time and don't just bench him in order to buy him out.

Where did anywhere in my post I say that the Sharks owe him a spot? Nowhere.... in fact I was one of the few who at the beginning (and got reamed for it) said that he brings down each line that he's on. I'm glad coaching took note and don't have him up on the 2nd line in Nieto's spot.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

See I'm on the fence with this. Shep's D has been brutal, but he can play a physical game. I can't remember a player in recent memory who avoids physical play like Havlat does... and his board play is atrocious - all stick, no body.

If it were most other teams I'd advocate this but given that it's the Kings I have a hard time advocating him in for Shep.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think the key for the Sharks is not who should be in or out, but staying healthy. So far, the depth of the lines is too much for the Kings to match. I believe the Sharks have the best offense in the NHL when everyone is healthy.

Niemi is it, TMac clearly said so. Thus he has to rise to the occasion and play like a cup winning goalie. But honestly, Niemi makes me nervous but so does Stalock although not for the same reason.

If the Sharks take one of next two games in LA, its over.

TMac needs to stop with the prevent defense during the 3rd quarter of the game 1. They were playing a 1-1-3 by dropping a forward along with the defensive line when the Kings took control of the puck in their zone. It did not seem to work at all.

It will be interesting to see what match ups Sutter uses at home against the Sharks. So far, nothing has worked well for him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except Havlat has looked bad when he has been with Pavs.. The only place he has looked okay is on the second line, but Nieto has made that position his own.

Havlat looked bad because he was still recovering from his injury and hadn't hit his stride. He was looking bad with everyone because he just wasn't up to game speed. He hasn't played with Pavs since he started getting better.

The one thing people are underestimating with Havlat is how much he'll help the transition game. He may not battle along the boards very well but he's very good at executing the type of passes that exposes the Kings' defense. Indirect and area passes that feed the transition. That's something that he's better than Sheppard at.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sheppard has been fine at winger.

Havlat should stay in the press box unless Brown has a bad game in LA, which might be easy to explain to Brown. Tell him that he is a physical player who needs some rest after his 3 good games.

But Havlat is NOT bad with Pavelski, he was fine with him against Phoenix and I suspect he will do fine with Pavelski in game 4 if they try to go down that road

You can not move Nieto at this point because he is actually a really good hockey player who is playing fantastic in all areas, as opposed to Brown whose defensive flaws and bad Corsi will probably be exposed soon.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Mr. Glass should be shut down for the playoffs unless we need a hole to fill, or we get desperate and use him to try and shake things up after being down in a series.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'd definitely ice him against Anaheim, but wouldn't change anything at the moment. If the team decides Brown shouldn't be in against LA in Socal, I'd do this:

Hertl-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Havlat
Sheppard-Desjardins-Wingels

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
See I'm on the fence with this. Shep's D has been brutal, but he can play a physical game. I can't remember a player in recent memory who avoids physical play like Havlat does... and his board play is atrocious - all stick, no body.

If it were most other teams I'd advocate this but given that it's the Kings I have a hard time advocating him in for Shep.

Sheppard is a very different player when he's on the wing vs. playing center. When he doesn't have the defensive responsibilities that go along with playing C he's a really good player.

He's great at driving possession, good through the neutral zone, getting in on the forecheck, puck recovery and he has some underrated playmaking skills. Once the switch was made in game 2 to put Pavelski at 3C and move Sheppard to LW that line was dominant. Assuming (hoping really) that Pavelski starts this game at center I don't see any reason at all to pull Sheppard off his wing for Havlat.

Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Interesting note, Pavs and Sheppard (though he may be done taking them), need to up their games on faceoffs. Thornton and Desi have both been great though (as have Stoll and Richards).

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Sheppard is a very different player when he's on the wing vs. playing center. When he doesn't have the defensive responsibilities that go along with playing C he's a really good player.

He's great at driving possession, good through the neutral zone, getting in on the forecheck, puck recovery and he has some underrated playmaking skills. Once the switch was made in game 2 to put Pavelski at 3C and move Sheppard to LW that line was dominant. Assuming (hoping really) that Pavelski starts this game at center I don't see any reason at all to pull Sheppard off his wing for Havlat.

Shep's also top five on the team for penatlies drawn.

EDIT: Another small off topic item - I have a weird feeling that Shep will be traded this summer. He's in the dog house too much (I don't get it frankly, even though he has his problems he should have been playing more at times). I hope my gut feeling is off, but I have it :(

Sharks7

Jan 14, 2006
Havlat should play if people are banged up and need a rest. This is how you use depth properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad