Should Havlat play

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yes. In LA, we can't afford to ice Mike Brown because Sutter has control of the matchups. I doubt we'll see him at home though.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Should he play at all this Playoffs?

IMO no, he'll get hurt and then we can't buy him out this summer

Tbh I though going in that havlat should play over nieto giving that he hadn't looked good the previous games against the kings. But he was arguably our best forward last night. If we have a deep run we will see him at some point. Probably third line you could drop wingels sheppard move Torres pavs there. They have many options now

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Tbh I though going in that havlat should play over nieto giving that he hadn't looked good the previous games against the kings. But he was arguably our best forward last night. If we have a deep run we will see him at some point. Probably third line you could drop wingels sheppard move Torres pavs there. They have many options now

Part of that was because he was playing against Regehr, who sucks. Havlat probably would have looked good against LA last night.

But then again, I think they have to keep playing Regehr against Couture's line. Maybe they will switch Mitchell and Regehr, idk. Havlat would also do decent against them.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I think Havlat will see time in the series with Shep, Brown or both seeing PB time. Shep's lack of defense in game #1 was rather glaring.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I think Havlat will see time in the series with Shep, Brown or both seeing PB time. Shep's lack of defense in game #1 was rather glaring.

I don't know how Todd can afford to leave him at 3c in la. Right now Todd is getting the matchup he wants with sheppard and defensively he hasn't looked good. I can only hope we see pavs at 3c in la. It would be a nice change up to throw sutter in la. As I'm sure he has already decided who he wants against him once he gets back to la

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Nieto's speed last night (and NZ play) was a big reason why that line worked so well last night, that's just not an element Havlat has so unless they fall apart I don't see them putting Havlat on Couture's wing, which is pretty much the only place he's been successful.

Once this series shifts to LA Brown should really come out of the line up but whether or not Havlat plays has a lot to do with where Torres is at in my opinion.

If they can ice Torres/Havlat-Pavelski-Havlat/Wingels I'd probably be OK with that but Havlat isn't a good fit on the 4th line, I'd prefer Kennedy there.

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think it's awesome we are debating about scratching a legit top-6 player.

Depth is awesome.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Like you said in another thread, in LA there is a danger the Sharks 4th line will come out and LA will respond by sending out the Kopitar line, and accordingly, you can't have the likes of Mike Brown out there.

In that situation, do you think a fourth line of Havlat-Desjardins-Kennedy makes sense? Do you see Tyler Kennedy getting into the lineup in LA?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

Depth is awesome.

I just said that in another thread, i can't recall the last time we had depth like this up front. It's been my "concern" with the team for awhile now, i'm so gad DW did something about it and our deph players have stepped up this season.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Depth is awesome.

I've been saying recently, imagine you are a fan of any East team right now, especially East playoff teams. Pens, Bruins, Habs, whoever. Wouldn't you shake your head in disbelief to see an NHL team scratching Marty Havlat and Tyler Kennedy (I mention Kennedy because he's well known in the East) for a playoff game?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I've been saying recently, imagine you are a fan of any East team right now, especially East playoff teams. Pens, Bruins, Habs, whoever. Wouldn't you shake your head in disbelief to see an NHL team scratching Marty Havlat and Tyler Kennedy (I mention Kennedy because he's well known in the East) for a playoff game?

yep - i hope it means success for us in the playoffs.

It does not bode well for Kennedy and Havlat this off season, depending on how the playoffs turn out for us and them.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Like you said in another thread, in LA there is a danger the Sharks 4th line will come out and LA will respond by sending out the Kopitar line, and accordingly, you can't have the likes of Mike Brown out there.

In that situation, do you think a fourth line of Havlat-Desjardins-Kennedy makes sense? Do you see Tyler Kennedy getting into the lineup in LA?

Kennedy has been worse than Sheppard defensively this year. Kennedy is god awful. Havlat sure, but Kennedy only if someone is injured.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Kennedy is a turnover machine. He fumbles the pick makes bad choices. I'm sure coaching staff sees much of the same

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

As HB said, not Kennedy. They'd have half a chance with Desi/Wingels. It's an issue of speed and being smart. Havlat doesn't have the speed although he is smart. Havlat is better suited to 2nd/3rd line with someone else doing the heavy lifting defensively. The thing is that Havlat won't make a bad defensive situation worse. I can see TM trying the 11 forward lineup in LA. 12 would be dressed, but the 4th line would only play two at a time who started the game on 4th line. The third guy on the line (Nieto, Wingels, etc.) would be the defensive ringer.

TealTownUSA

Mar 30, 2010
it was nice to see tmac rolling out that 4th line in their zone for faceoffs. i agree with most, ice havlat on the road so sutter has to think about it some more. brown is there to mug these guys and it's working effectively. why mess with it.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
As HB said, not Kennedy. They'd have half a chance with Desi/Wingels. It's an issue of speed and being smart. Havlat doesn't have the speed although he is smart. Havlat is better suited to 2nd/3rd line with someone else doing the heavy lifting defensively. The thing is that Havlat won't make a bad defensive situation worse. I can see TM trying the 11 forward lineup in LA. 12 would be dressed, but the 4th line would only play two at a time who started the game on 4th line. The third guy on the line (Nieto, Wingels, etc.) would be the defensive ringer.

Havlat, when away from Couture, has dragged pretty much every line he's been on down and the numbers show it.

The coaching staff is well aware of his skating and defensive issues based on his usage.

If Havlat is on L2 or 3 he can be protected by a good two way center, even though he and Pavelski struggle quite a bit in possession when they were together.

Kennedy is much better suited to play on L4.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Havlat, when away from Couture, has dragged pretty much every line he's been on down and the numbers show it.

The coaching staff is well aware of his skating and defensive issues based on his usage.

If Havlat is on L2 or 3 he can be protected by a good two way center, even though he and Pavelski struggle quite a bit in possession when they were together.

Kennedy is much better suited to play on L4.
I agree that Havlat on 4th makes no sense. Desi isn't strong enough to cover the shortcomings. I am not in favor of Kennedy either. He works when he isn't creating opportunities for the other team. His bad angle shots which come flying out of the zone are a problem. When TK is playing well, he drives all the way to the slot before shooting. TK is also not a good F1. He doesn't win battles like Desi or Brown (neither does Havlat).

On Havlat/Pavs, they never got a real chance with Torres. Pavs really needs a Torres or Burns on the wing, both size and speed. Wingels is a little short on size but is closest of the rest of the guys. I suspect a healthy Torres/Pavs/Havlat would work much better than what was tried before.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I agree that Havlat on 4th makes no sense. Desi isn't strong enough to cover the shortcomings. I am not in favor of Kennedy either. He works when he isn't creating opportunities for the other team. His bad angle shots which come flying out of the zone are a problem. When TK is playing well, he drives all the way to the slot before shooting. TK is also not a good F1. He doesn't win battles like Desi or Brown (neither does Havlat).

On Havlat/Pavs, they never got a real chance with Torres. Pavs really needs a Torres or Burns on the wing, both size and speed. Wingels is a little short on size but is closest of the rest of the guys. I suspect a healthy Torres/Pavs/Havlat would work much better than what was tried before.

TK wouldn't be the F1 on the 4th line and he's a huge upgrade over Brown everywhere except for hitting.

Even though Havlat is pretty useless on L4, I'd prefer him to Brown as well once the series moves to LA.

As for Torres on L3, I don't see that happening in the next couple of games and I don't really see Wingels being dropped from the 3rd line either.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
TK wouldn't be the F1 on the 4th line and he's a huge upgrade over Brown everywhere except for hitting.

Even though Havlat is pretty useless on L4, I'd prefer him to Brown as well once the series moves to LA.

As for Torres on L3, I don't see that happening in the next couple of games and I don't really see Wingels being dropped from the 3rd line either.

If Brown isn't in the line-up then this would be a different way to solve those problems:

Hertl - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Havlat/Kennedy
Torres - Pavelski - Nieto
Desjardins - Sheppard - Wingels

That the only way I would bring Havlat or Kennedy into the line up. Couture and Marleau are the only pair that can cover for Kennedy's terrible defensive play, and it still leaves every line dangerous. That 3rd and 4th line should cause the Kings fits.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

When I was doing the Wingels drop, it was under the assumption that TM was playing that 11/12 game where Wingels was also getting shifts on higher lines. Not really using all 3 4th liners at the same time.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I'd rather have Brown in there over Kennedy. Brown isn't going to feed LA's transition like Kennedy will. Kennedy only draws in if they have no other options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad