Should goalies have to pay to play on a Beer League team?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm of the belief that goalies should not pay. That's how we do it on every team I've played on since starting up my men's league career 15 years ago. But, I don't think it has anything to do with the price of goalie equipment.

For us, its about the unfair responsibility you put on the goalie of a men's league team. There's a lot of pressure on the goalies to attend every game. It's not easy finding a sub sometimes here in Chicago especially for a late game. As a skater, if I have a late game and 8:00 rolls around and I'm just too tired and don't feel like going, its not the end of the world if I make myself a late scratch. Try pulling that as a goalie and see what happens?

For me and my teammates, its about showing appreciation and respect for the guy who has the most important job on the team.

I thought the most important guy on the team was the one that was bringing the beers?

:sarcasm:

I've always paid regardless of whether I skated up or played in goal.

I always show up and look to have fun. I wouldn't say any role is more important than any other.

And the flip side is that goalies should pay more since they get all the ice time they want.

:laugh:

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
In all the years I've played, and on all the various teams I've played on, goalies have never paid. Decent goalies are hard to find, and when you got one, you want to do everything reasonably in your power to keep them.

Goalies get offers all the time from other teams trying to headhunt them. Why pay to play on one team when another team says play for free?

And as mentioned, goalies take on a lot more responsibility than skaters. My friend plays goal, and he's played with a cold, a sore back, on his anniversary, etc. So yeah.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
One thing to remember is that if your goalie is paying, it's a lot harder to get rid of them when they start to suck. :D

This is why I chip in a bit on my team :D
I think all the guys toss in about an extra 10 bucks on their registrations and I cover the difference.

But yeah, it's not so much the cost of the equipment (though reduced ice time fees means it's easier to rationalize equipment upgrades), but rather the stress of 100% attendance.

Heck the other week, I had an exam - had a replacement lined up, sent a quick text the morning of for a reminder thank you... response back was 'oh i forgot i had a meeting, but i told the league organizer to find me a sub' (league organizer is not organized)... had to quickly find myself a sub about half an hour before I went in to write an exam for a game in two hours :rant:

Thankfully we actually had a backup on standby that was going to be at the rink anyway.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I've always paid regardless of whether I skated up or played in goal.

I always show up and look to have fun. I wouldn't say any role is more important than any other.

Let me ask you a question. If you have 15 skaters and 1 goalie on your team and 8 of the skaters decide not to show up to a game what happens? You still play, right?

Now, what happens if all 15 skaters show up, but the goalie doesn't?

Still want to argue that goalie isn't the most important position on a men's league team?

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
No problem paying our goalies fees

Never really recall any of them flaking us unless a real urgent matter came up

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Absolutely they should be paying and they do in my league.

Crazy that people don't make other grown men pay their fees.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

Supply and demand, my friend.

If you're worth the cost of others' picking up your league fees, then by definition, you are paying (in different ways).

And if you're not, then you're not. C'est la vie.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

And on that note goalies should treat the games like skaters do and show up just to the games they want without notice, step on the ice 5 minutes late when they please and regularly play Saturday morning games hung over right?

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
My teams rarely have anyone miss a game, anyone who does so is probably kicking and screaming being kept away.

One of my teams has a goalie that pays, as was the team dynamic since its inception for some reason. The other teams do not. The one who pays currently plays on our second incarnation at a different rink, and on that team he does not pay. I think he's missed 2 games in the 5 years I've known him, and those were only on our "alternate" game days when he had to work at the specific time.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It's always been my understanding that goalies play for free because they pay so much more for their equipment

I never had a problem with that reasoning

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Depends: if the team cannot find any other goalie then he shouldn't pay.

If they have multiple options, then he should have to pay.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
This is a funny thread with a common theme running through it
"Goalies that suck" Decent Goalies hard to find"
You know what sucks in Beer League?
Defense.
Nobody wants to get back (not nearly as hard as they want to rush)
Forget about getting in front of a shot
And as soon as the goalie lets one up on the 20th odd man rush of the game?
He sucks. :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Let me ask you a question. If you have 15 skaters and 1 goalie on your team and 8 of the skaters decide not to show up to a game what happens? You still play, right?

Now, what happens if all 15 skaters show up, but the goalie doesn't?

Still want to argue that goalie isn't the most important position on a men's league team?

Depending on the goalie, some teams are better off with 6 skaters.

:laugh:

It's just my mindset that everyone on the team, from the superstar to the old, slow guy, are all equally important.

And whenever I was the goalie, I would never view myself as better than anyone else on my team.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Defense.

Man I want to play in that league. I'd dominate, Jerry, dominate.

kramer-karate.jpg

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Defense.

Mostly but not always. I like blocking shots so much we often gag on our goalie that I stopped more than he did :laugh: I've got one team that's great defensively but can hardly score to save its life! Lowest GA and GF almost every time, and with that comes middle of the pack status. Not horrible but so frustrating :rant:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I play goalie and out. I think if as a goalie and you fill in anywhere then yes definitely free. If you play on a team for years then ya maybe pay. Half at least.

I understand the demand for goalies and especially good ones. But if you are on the team you should pay something. The free goalie thing really applies to shinny and last minute replacements

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I run a team as the Captain and our goalie has always paid, the same as the summer team I play for as a regular player. I've yet to play with a team where the goalie is free.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
If you want to ensure that half of your games turn into 'post' games then yeah, charge the goalies.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
it seems being a goalie is not a fun job, so in that regard I do not think they should pay, of course if you are in a league where you are having to fight to keep goalies out than maybe they should pay, but if you are always looking for goalies and trying to keep goalies, of course they should not pay

goalie29

Oct 17, 2010
Canada
it seems being a goalie is not a fun job,

Lots of skaters do seem to hold this opinion. lol But, other than the usual frustrations of dealing with groups of people, playing hockey goalie is the most fun I have ever had in my life.

I didn't start playing on ice until I was almost 40 (I'm female, so no opportunity when I was younger), but intend on playing goal until I just can't anymore. I also skate out, mostly for the exercise, but my heart is in net.

Montgomery81

Aug 6, 2015
Oklahoma City
Our goalie has always paid on teams I've played for, but I would never have a problem covering some or all of their fees if asked to do so by our captain. Luckily we've had some pretty good "stand up" goalies, who haven't had issues paying for their ice time.

Only issue I have with goalies is a high level 'tender subbing down a level, if needed. Drives me crazy, especially against known rivals.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Only issue I have with goalies is a high level 'tender subbing down a level, if needed. Drives me crazy, especially against known rivals.

Yeah, one of the ways my leagues deal with it is no player can sub up or down more than two levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad