Should goalies have to pay to play on a Beer League team?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Just wondering what your guy's thoughts are on goalies being charged the same fees as skaters to play full time for a beer league team.

I've heard the argument both ways from a couple people, but haven't heard enough to form a consensus.

Any team managers who will or won't charge their tenders?

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
I've played in a couple of different leagues as well as a number of pickup games. I've never seen goalies asked to pay.

Leth

Dec 23, 2006
Tampa
On the teams that I run we charge the goalie half of what someone who skates out pays. This ensures that they have, at least, some motivation to actually show up every week. Also helps slightly offset the exorbitant cost of the ice around here.

We do not charge goalies for our private ice rentals, pick up etc

CapsCast

Mar 12, 2008
I've played with a couple of goalies that should have been charged double...

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I've paid some times, and not had to pay other times.

If the option is "pay or no play", I typically only pay if I really like the team and league.

Trust me that we pay in other ways. :laugh:

CapsCast

Mar 12, 2008
Honestly, though, there is nothing worse than having to play a league game without a goalie. That's their leverage. If your league has a bunch of goalies, make them pay. If your league needs goalies like mine does, let them in for free or do the half price thing.

It's all about leverage

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
I agree with making them pay something so it gives them some incentive to actually show up. Ultimately though, I think it depends on how many available goalies there are. In my league there is a waiting list for goalies because there is so many wanting to play, but not enough teams. So obviously its worth it for them to pay if they want to be on a team.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
True - supply and demand are key considerations.

Although you get what you pay for. I left a team in a few years back because I didn't want to pay. Another goalie came in, and they went from 16-4-1 to 4-17-0, and the goalie didn't show up (or get a replacement) for four of those losses.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
True - supply and demand are key considerations.

Although you get what you pay for. I left a team in a few years back because I didn't want to pay. Another goalie came in, and they went from 16-4-1 to 4-17-0, and the goalie didn't show up (or get a replacement) for four of those losses.

Yeah you've got a point. There is plenty of guys who skate out that pay for the entire season and still don't show up to half the games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've never seen a Goalie pay, nor should they.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Goalies do not pay for either team I play on. We subsidize the cost amongst the 13 skaters. Nor have ever seen a goalie asked to chip in for a pickup/rink rental session.

On the team I run, I send an email out a few weeks prior to the season just confirming that everyone is ok with subsidizing the cost that way. I always make it clear to reply to me only, so as the rest of the team doesn't have to know. Not once has anyone said they don't want to do it that way.

In MA we have a fantastic goalie network. If your guy can't make it, its almost a 100% chance that someone is willing to play no matter when and where the game is. Obviously its far better knowing a day or two in advance. However, we found out like 3 hours before puck drop once that our stopper couldn't make it, and were still able to secure a guy through the network.

Supply and demand is correct.

ArcataShark

in dubious battle
Jul 3, 2010
Eugene
Goalies pay half price for beer league here. They play for free at any drop in and stick time. Seems fair enough because, like other posters explained, playing league without a goalie isn't fun for anyone.

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
I don't think so honestly, but I think this would be more fair for any league.

Goalies pay half price for beer league here. They play for free at any drop in and stick time. Seems fair enough because, like other posters explained, playing league without a goalie isn't fun for anyone.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
playing league without a goalie isn't fun for anyone.

Actually, where I play it's an automatic forfeit. No goalie, no play. On top of that, if you forfeit a game for any reason you automatically forfeit the following game too. You still get to play but it counts as a loss. So a goalie not showing up and not telling anyone costs the team Two games.:(

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
How do they justify the forfeit of the following game/as well as counting it as a loss? Seems a bit much if you ask me.

By all means, no goalie is a forfeit/loss for the current game. I'd have a real issue if the next game was effected by it.

Actually, where I play it's an automatic forfeit. No goalie, no play. On top of that, if you forfeit a game for any reason you automatically forfeit the following game too. You still get to play but it counts as a loss. So a goalie not showing up and not telling anyone costs the team Two games.:(

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
How do they justify the forfeit of the following game/as well as counting it as a loss? Seems a bit much if you ask me.

By all means, no goalie is a forfeit/loss for the current game. I'd have a real issue if the next game was effected by it.

I played in a league where if you can't play a game (ie: no goalie), you forfeit that game, and the team you forfeited against gets your next game time to make up for the one you just cost them.

I think that's fair to the team that shows up ready to play the game they paid for, but it sucks so bad to lose 2 games because you can't play 1.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I played in a league where if you can't play a game (ie: no goalie), you forfeit that game, and the team you forfeited against gets your next game time to make up for the one you just cost them.

I think that's fair to the team that shows up ready to play the game they paid for, but it sucks so bad to lose 2 games because you can't play 1.

Ouch!

I see a decently fair split between goalies who pay, those who don't, and those don't who will chip in if asked/needed.

I know the argument is that goalies spend more on equipment, etc. but after playing for long enough w/o paying then one would assume the difference is made up and then some. OTOH, I know players who "have to have" brand new skates that end up costing more than a goalie's full set of used gear. So how does that compare.

Personally I don't care either way. I began playing competitively with a goalie who didn't, so I became used to that. Then I joined another 2 teams where the goalie did pay, and another where he didn't but often chipped in when needed. Some goalies take their play as seriously if not more than some players, and they want to be at every game and do their thing. They don't see it as a "saving grace" for the team, and it's not like the leagues have half-ass play which leave the goalie on his own all night. I could see scenarios like that where the goalie doesn't need to put up w/a lot of crap for nothing and pay for it to boot.

Should go without saying but it is very much appreciated when they do pay. On the same note I myself wouldn't be necessarily demanding they accept my money if not asked or whatever :laugh: A lot of the younger guys on the team, it's all they can do to afford a season, even the shorter summer & fall ones around here. Money is of no concern to me, I even float half team until they can pay me back, but that point alone shows how tough people some have it when trying to play. When my goalie on that team pays his full split, it helps out those guys immensely. Granted I'm sure they could make better monetary decisions elsewhere in life to help themselves in the first place, but hey :p:

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014

Yeah that's how we all felt too, when our goalie quit without telling anyone. We showed up ready to play, he doesn't and costs us the ice time we already paid for and an automatic loss for the next game too. We actually didn't find out about the following forfeit until after we beat the next team and it showed up as a loss. The only explanation we got was "That's the rules, boys."

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I'm totally fine with paying half price. If a team wants my services so bad they are willing to let me play for free, great! But I'm not hurt if I'm needed to chip in. After all, I play for fun too, so I'm not going to act like I'm doing everyone such a massive favor that they need to pay for me.

Full price I'd be a little more hesitant. I'd be happy to play for a team I really enjoyed playing behind, but other than that, I'd look elsewhere. I'll happily sub for whatever teams need me week to week over paying full price to play for a team that I don't care about.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i think it's fair that most league fees are half price for goalies

all that equipment costs fortunes and let's face it, any kind of hockey sucks without a goalie

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I don't think the cost of gear is a reason to not have to pay. Yes, it's maybe $1000 more than a skater's gear, but that's one winter and one summer's league fees that 15+ skaters pay.

I can get on board with half league fees, but only because it's a hard position to fill and any goalie knows they can probably find a gig somewhere.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I don't think the cost of gear is a reason to not have to pay. Yes, it's maybe $1000 more than a skater's gear, but that's one winter and one summer's league fees that 15+ skaters pay.

I can get on board with half league fees, but only because it's a hard position to fill and any goalie knows they can probably find a gig somewhere.

The other side of it is, who else are you going to find who willingly will allow pucks to be shot at them? :laugh:

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
As a captain I've always charged a reasonable goalie fee, like $75 or $100 for the season when the skater fee is $300 or more, just so that the goalie has some "skin in the game" and is motivated to win and play longer into the season (playoffs).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad